Do you determine 'tank age' by when it was set up, or by how long you've had everything in it?

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For example, you set up a tank 2 years ago, but then you upgrade to a slightly larger tank and transfer all the live rock, water, equipment, etc..

Is the tank 1 day old? Or is it 2 years old'?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 years if all rock work was transferred. May be a cycle of sorts with it though.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continuously wet is a main part of my criteria. If I bought my tank 5 years ago, but only had it running for six months now, then the "tank" is only six months old. Likewise, adding a new skimmer last week doesn't make my tank only a week old. I like the previous post using the age of the oldest, continuously-wet rock as the real age of a tank.

On another note, the age of a tank does not tell you its maturity level.

wheels 45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I consider day 1 as the day that I set up a new tank. My 75 gallon will be 5 on Nov 26 and my 32 gallon biocube will be 3 years old on Dec 26.

fnlyreefready

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continuously wet is a main part of my criteria. If I bought my tank 5 years ago, but only had it running for six months now, then the "tank" is only six months old. Likewise, adding a new skimmer last week doesn't make my tank only a week old. I like the previous post using the age of the oldest, continuously-wet rock as the real age of a tank.

Well said. My tank is 5 years old and I would say I’m at just starting to reach that full maturity level. Getting to where my dkh is being used prettty regularly.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah I also follow this method. Age = time when it is continuously wet.

Back