Do you ever just turn off your wavemaker or powerheads for a few days to mimik those super calm days in the ocean?

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone ever does that just to give corals a break from hurricane force waves and just have a few calm days like they would have in ocean. I snorkeling in st thomas last year and there were literally no waves . The ocean was like a bath tub. Was in hawaii a few years back and same thing. A couple days were calm as can be. Maybe our corals in our footprint of the oceans might like that.
Yes, I did it on August 14, 2003 when I was living in Brooklyn, NY, but never since then.
Seriously though, Flow in the Ocean is generated by various forces, including tides, which are variable (Spring vs Neap tides), but also wind. Flow on coral reefs is the lowest around change of tides, but it doesn't last very long.
Besides as Miami Reef stated, our tanks are not the ocean.

South Carolina reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set my MP 40 to various cycles through out the day. A feature I really like! 15 or 30 minutes of nutrient transport at 48% or so. Reef crest for a couple of hours. Lagoon mode in the evenings.

OP
OP
Seansea

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this but my jabeos swings really dont swing that much. I shut the wavemaker off for a couple days and just let return pump nozzles just add a little flow and corals seem to respond pretty good to it. blasos really opened up and my mushrooms went all full layout mode.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back