Do you feed cyclops to anthias ?

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Am in the process of getting a few notorious , hard to feed (as people claim ) anthias . Might be Flavoguttatus, Lori's or Ventralis .
Wondering how many of you feed cyclops to anthias and where do you buy them ?

Regards,
Abhishek

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Am in the process of getting a few notorious , hard to feed (as people claim ) anthias . Might be Flavoguttatus, Lori's or Ventralis .

Regards,
Abhishek
When cyclopeeze was available it was a fantastic food for planktivores. Frozen cyclops works well for flavoguttatus or ventralis. Lori will likely need live food. Baby brine will be easier to acquire than cyclops.

OP
OP
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know .. There's no more cyclopeeze !!! :(
I have Nutramar Ova at stock but still wanted to have some more options in hand before I get them ..
Brine shrimps are an option at hand but need to hatch them .

Regards,
Abhishek

OP
OP
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a picky male lyretail. He would only eat cyclops but each time i fed the cyclops id put just a little mysis in too. After a couple weeks hes started to eat some mysis and i just started using rods food and seems to love that too.

I like to use cyclops with vitachem/selcon boost in the beginning with my fish. As they adjust move them onto other meaty food. I couldnt find cyclops at my LFS yesterday. Bought some frozen brine as a substitute.

OP
OP
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a picky male lyretail. He would only eat cyclops but each time i fed the cyclops id put just a little mysis in too. After a couple weeks hes started to eat some mysis and i just started using rods food and seems to love that too.

I like to use cyclops with vitachem/selcon boost in the beginning with my fish. As they adjust move them onto other meaty food. I couldnt find cyclops at my LFS yesterday. Bought some frozen brine as a substitute.

Thanks Steve for the reply .Yes ,the plan is to slowly move them to LRS and mysis like I did to my blue star leopards who now eat even NLS and sometimes when too hungry , will gobble cyano and hair algae that I blow of the rocks using turkey baster
But worry is to make the anthias start eating especially with food that my collector is providing .

Regards,
Abhishek's

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

M&M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my experience with those anthias, I kept them all before and still keep some at this point. All of my anthias were easy to get to eat pretty much anything. They prefer slightly bigger, meaty foods like brine shrimp, small mysis, fish eggs, shredded seafood. Mine don't really go for Calanus, or cyclops. I even feed some Nutramar Ova, not to crazy about. In the past I had trouble to get them to eat, now most eat within a day or two. The " trick" is to put them in their natural conditions. Those are Deepwater anthias, so very dim light or just ambient light and biggest difference between then and now is water temperature. I keep them in 68-72F. I notice that they are more active right away in those conditions. Later in time you can slowly acclimate them to warmer water and light, but if you struggling with them eating now, try this.

OP
OP
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my experience with those anthias, I kept them all before and still keep some at this point. All of my anthias were easy to get to eat pretty much anything. They prefer slightly bigger, meaty foods like brine shrimp, small mysis, fish eggs, shredded seafood. Mine don't really go for Calanus, or cyclops. I even feed some Nutramar Ova, not to crazy about. In the past I had trouble to get them to eat, now most eat within a day or two. The " trick" is to put them in their natural conditions. Those are Deepwater anthias, so very dim light or just ambient light and biggest difference between then and now is water temperature. I keep them in 68-72F. I notice that they are more active right away in those conditions. Later in time you can slowly acclimate them to warmer water and light, but if you struggling with them eating now, try this.

Interesting and very informative !! Thank you for sharing it.
If I have to guess, you must have had the temperature so low because it was a non-photosynthetic tank ? Problem is mine is a sps dominant tank and hence dim lighting is really a problem .
I have found that my blue stars do way better when my temperature is around 75-76 and thats where I have to keep the tank without too much swing in summer .
I guess I might need to rethink the whole idea now ..

Regards,
Abhishek

Lordnorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Regards,
Abhishek
After trying multiple foods for my evansi anthias , cyclops were the only food they ate . I'm trying to ween them off to eventually eat bigger food such as brine and mysis.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back