Do you get annoyed when people check out your tank?

i2ik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend, my wife had friends over. One of her friends just walked down stairs and looked at my tank. No problems there. But then she started taking my flipper scraper and started to clean my glass. I had to gently take it away from her with a smile. it was uncomfortable for me. We talked for a while and keep asking why my nemo can't have a Dory in there lol fun disussion. She is curious which is fine, but very touchy touchy.

Like vetteguy was saying, I need to set the rules.
Yeah I experienced that before. For measure of precaution, I take the cleaning magnet out when there is lots of people over and can not keep an eye on what may happened.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe its just me. I don't like it when people go check out my tank , breathing up all the oxygen lol , putting finger prints on my glass, asking super silly questions that takes way too long to explain. When there's a party at the house, I try not to mention i have a reef tank , but someone always mention it and want to go check it out. While they are checking it out , i'm monitoring my PH level . Don't they know what we are trying to do here? lol

I mean a reef tank is suppose to be viewed but i prefer that person to be only me. lol maybe i'm too selfish

I am already thinking about getting a fish room, or a build a separate room just for the my reef tank.
you don't have kids, do you?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it when people show an interest in the tank. I take a lot of pride in it. I don't even mind when the young'uns get sticky handprints on the glass. Easy enough to clean. I can answer questions all day long. There are no stupid questions.

The best part for me is when I open the cabinet and show folks the "life support system". I get to explain how everything works together to keep my reef healthy, and a lot of people seem to be as fascinated by the technical aspect as I am.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My big cleaning magnette is strong enough kids cant move it. I let them clean with my Tunze as it does not pick up sandn so no worries. Besides i am to tall, lazy and old to bend over to get the bottom of my tank. :) kids love helping.

Yeah I experienced that before. For measure of precaution, I take the cleaning magnet out when there is lots of people over and can not keep an eye on what may happened.
S

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it when my non-fish friends visit the house for the first time, never a blip from them on my Facebook posts but once they see it with their own eyes... It's like they've become a five-year-old with so many questions.

Hey didn't you come over to watch the game with me?
20220802_134235.jpg

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only dislike it when I'm battling algae or bacteria. Right now, I do not want anyone looking at my diatom infested tank!!! Once they're gone, however, I love showing it off.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I personally love it if someone notices it and wants to chat! It is meant to catch your attention and be a beautiful piece in my home. Teaching people that corals are animals is very rewarding as they look at the ocean and its problems in a new light.

Just set some rules up front. This is a life support system and you wouldn't pull the plug on grandma, so don't pull it on my pets

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Because many people still think that fish grow to the size of a tank and then stop growing. Perfect opportunity for some education.
Of course they grow to the size of the tank. Why do u think they offer different sizes Duh?!

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, i love it. I currently dont have a tank because i just moved cross country. But when i did have my reefs some of my friends would sometimes bring by their kids another friend to see my tanks. I had 14 tanks at one point. I had everything from display reefs, to frag tanks, clownfish, breeding tanks, planted freshwater tanks, etc. So i got pretty used to giving "the tour". I was also a volunter educator at the waikiki aquarium, so i never got tired of answering questions.

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol no one really asks me much, my 220g is in my living room. They all love Dori though! I guess they never ask me because I already forced them to listen to me lol

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I act like I dont even have it. Even though it is in the living room as soon as you walk in. 8 feet long of a glass box filled with water.... But yes, they soon ask questions...

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm proud of my tank, even when battling byropsis! I love to show it off and get offended if I don't get some oohhhs and ahhhhhs. My son in law has a 500g system so we get to talk fish. I have stools for my grandchildren. Finger prints wipe off and the tank has a lid so nothing can find its way in. Aside from them being supervised.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it when people check my tank out!
(Sorry for the double post)
Can say what is annoying is when little kids take my flipper viewer and move it all around the bottom of tank stirring sand up!

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love when people ask about the tank. Random people ask pretty simple questions and its nice when someone takes interest and you take 5-10 min to chat about it.

Most reefers are great. Usually when selling frags the person will ask to see the display and we end up chatting for 10-30 min.

But then you have the generally annoying people that either know just enough to be dangerous or people who dont know when to stop talking. Here the stupid questions and unending chatting get annoying REAL FAST.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it when friends who aren’t in the hobby watch my tanks!
Well… That is until they look at the Clownfish and go “Nemo” and just totally ignore the triple digit fish in the tank.
The only time they really notice it is when they go “How much did you pay for that fish” and then look at you like you’re insane when you say how much you paid.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 61.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 42 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 65 27.2%
Back