Do you grow Chaeto algae and is it easy or hard for you?

Do you grow Chaeto algae and is it easy or hard for you?

• YES and it's easy

Votes: 212 48.3%
  • YES but it's hard

Votes: 62 14.1%
  • NO I don't

Votes: 149 33.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 16 3.6%

• Total voters

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 12,000 k LED Flood Light Fixture. Turn the Cheato over and spread it out at least once a week. Plenty of flow, and dose with Kent Purple Tech about every three to four days. Now I have a problem, the driver blew on my light. I have other Macro in this tank for grow out.

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried it and had what i would consider success - however in the middle chamber of an aio w/ no media basket because of light mount and heaters it became a right odd pain/mess. Was more of a very temporary experiment.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 watt from 21 LED USA, It’s about 8” off the top of the water, through a Glass Top. 3” Fine Sand Bed, about 6” of water. BTW, as of Wednesday, La Plata, MD PetCo still had Two Bunches of Very Healthy, Dark Green Cheato.

Bob E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started (first time using Chaeto) with a gulf ball size about Ten days ago (from Alge Barn) and currently using Tunze 10000k LED fixture, with a digital outlet timer set for 12am to 6am

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had some success and had some failure. Currently I am not growing any. My sump is empty with the exception of some rock in the drain chamber, and my return pump and skimmer.

sk8elenex92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always had chaeto in my tanks. run skimmer and chaeto never gfo for nutrient export. Trim it once a month and give it away to local Reefers or throw it out.
also have some red dragons breath algae down there because it looks cool heh.

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww, look at that cute little baby right there. :) That is when I first received it.

I now harvest around this much every month.

20220312_184848.jpg

The key for me is a good daylight spectrum bulb and iron supplementation.
Can you share the light and bulb you use? Wow simply amazing!

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried it a few times in refugiums and had really fast growth for awhile but invariably after several years growth would slow down and apparently stop. I've had the same issue with calurpa in the past and now with the research showing algae DOC is detrimental to corals I don't bother with it anymore.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine took FOREVER to get going. Probably a year of minimal growth. however, once I had reasonably consistent parameters and not TOO MUCH or TOO LITTLE nutrients, grows like a weed. I use the tunze blurple fuge light.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It grew very well for me with nitrates starting at 30 ppm and phosphates at 1 ppm, used a 9 watt fiet grow bulb from home Depot. Once my nutrients dropped it slowed considerably. I maintained it with less photoperiod and have a better light now. Nutrients are elevating again in my tank so I upped the photoperiod and it is growing again.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did well for a few months but eventually GHA smothered it out. On the bright side my display never has had GHA. So I guess it did what it was supposed to do. I recently decided to try pom pom, ogo and sea lettuce. My plan is to use it to feed my tangs.
I had the same issue for a while Eventually i put in a scrubber and all of my GHA went to the scrubber and the Chaeto was pristine again. I have since pulled out the scrubber and going to see if it stays away.

Db40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grow chaeto in my fuge using a kessil H160 on bloom mode and my chaeto grows like crazy. Nutrients run about 10-13N and 0.1-0.19P with it. I had tried growing chaeto on the grow mode with the kessil and it did not grow much at all. I had been doing lighting for 12 hours a day at full intensity. As soon as I switched it to bloom mode with the same timing and intensity, I started completely filling my fuge with chaeto every two weeks.

jherms7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried with a golf ball size from algae barn that looked really healthy, but after 2 weeks it just fell apart. I thought my nutrients were higher than they actually were I suppose, the tank was only 2 months old, so I am waiting a while before I try again. When I do I'll be sure to suppliment as well.
This thread has given me some incredible insite, thank you!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back