Do you grow Chaeto algae and is it easy or hard for you?

Do you grow Chaeto algae and is it easy or hard for you?

• YES and it's easy

Votes: 212 48.3%
  • YES but it's hard

Votes: 62 14.1%
  • NO I don't

Votes: 149 33.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 16 3.6%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's talk Chaeto (Chaetomorpha linum) today!

Chaeto is a green macroalgae that grows rapidly, cleaning your tank by consuming nitrates and phosphates for easy nutrient export. It can form a tangled mass that spreads over the substrate. It maintains its shape well when kept in large masses. Chaeto....is a hardy green algae commonly used in saltwater refugia & algae scrubbers. It specially suited to algae reactors, where large masses can be kept with minimal packing due to its rigid structure. It grows in long, curvy, sturdy strands that create a framework with ample inner space that provides shelter for a diversity of small, beneficial benthic creatures such as copepods, amphipods, isopods, etc. (it looks much like a green scouring pad!). (Via AlgaeBarn)

How many of you grow Chaeto in your system and how easy or hard is it for you to keep it healthy and growing?

image via @JCOLE
4069481997dafe5c8fb8997ff4d6f0cf.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Chaeto is a green macroalgae that grows rapidly, cleaning your tank by consuming nitrates and phosphates for easy nutrient export. It can form a tangled mass that spreads over the substrate. It maintains its shape well when kept in large masses. Chaeto....is a hardy green algae commonly used in saltwater refugia & algae scrubbers. It specially suited to algae reactors, where large masses can be kept with minimal packing due to its rigid structure. It grows in long, curvy, sturdy strands that create a framework with ample inner space that provides shelter for a diversity of small, beneficial benthic creatures such as copepods, amphipods, isopods, etc. (it looks much like a green scouring pad!). (Via AlgaeBarn)

How many of you grow Chaeto in your system and how easy or hard is it for you to keep it healthy and growing?

image via @JCOLE
I have no problem growing it but also trim as needed knowing it can get out of control.
My recipe is light-flow-trace of iron in water

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image via @JCOLE
Got some but it ain’t growing! What’s up rev? Long time no talk buddy!

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first attempt at growing chaeto failed miserably. I have one of those little Fiji cube hob’s. My nitrates were kind of low at the time and my light duration was incorrect. Second attempt ordered another chaeto ball, added some extra flow to the Fiji cube, lit it for 12 hours a day, got my nitrates up, and started feeding it phyto. It grows wildly and can easily take over the whole Fiji cube within a couple weeks time. My water looks much clearer after using chaeto as a form of filtration.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it growing well in my refugium until it suddenly started falling apart and released a lot of nutrients back into my tank. I’m considering trying it again though.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image via @JCOLE

Aww, look at that cute little baby right there. :) That is when I first received it.

I now harvest around this much every month.

20220312_184848.jpg

The key for me is a good daylight spectrum bulb and iron supplementation.

Piscans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you s
Aww, look at that cute little baby right there. :) That is when I first received it.

I now harvest around this much every month.

20220312_184848.jpg

The key for me is a good daylight spectrum bulb and iron supplementation.
you should stuff a big joe chair with it, i bet it would be comfy

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No chaeto. Same as some of the others, tried. I was actually thinking about trying again with some type of holder or something to keep it contained inside my sump. Every time I put it in my sump I couldn't get it to tumble correctly and it would fall apart. Any suggestions. Thanks Rev for the topic.

MillennialReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never been able to grow Chaeto :disappointed-face:. I've tried it for years in multiple systems with a variety of livestock and different equipment. I bought chaeto from various sources, it always either "dissolves" or gets taken over by GHA - so now I use turf scrubbers.

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am coincidentally getting my first chaeto from algaebarn delivered today! I was planning to get chaetogro to supplement it on occasion but it sounds like all I really need is some iron? Any specific iron solutions you guys recommend?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had a half-inch section of it hitchhike in on some rock and grow into a softball that smothered some of my zoas because it fell on them when I was on vacation. Bit TOO easy to grow, for me.

(Anyone having trouble: try ChaetoGro. Works great for a lot of macros.)

nosduj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a sandwich bag full from a friend, now I take out a basketball size clump once a month or so. I also have a habit of not cleaning my filter socks often enough, so the chaeto helps alot

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only been growing about a week but so far so good. Very green throughout and seems to be branching out

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No chaeto. Same as some of the others, tried. I was actually thinking about trying again with some type of holder or something to keep it contained inside my sump. Every time I put it in my sump I couldn't get it to tumble correctly and it would fall apart. Any suggestions. Thanks Rev for the topic.
Mine has never tumbled, I just flip it over every few days.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back