DO YOU GUYS VACUUM YOUR SANDBED??

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I started the hobby 7mos ago and ever since then every week when I do my waterchange I ALWAYS siphon my sandbed. I watched a video from Fragbox last night and there saying to never vacuume it. I don't really understand why? In my head I would think you NEED to vacuume it to remove waste and detritus that has settled. Please let me know what you guys think.

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't vacuum but I do stir it up a bit before a water change. I've read that you should either do it relatively frequently or not at all if you haven't touched the sand because the built up nitrates and the anaerobic sections in the sand can be problematic.

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't vacuum but I do stir it up a bit before a water change. I've read that you should either do it relatively frequently or not at all if you haven't touched the sand because the built up nitrates and the anaerobic sections in the sand can be problematic.
Would you recommend that I stop siphoning it? Or because I've been doing it for so long I should just stick to it?

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend that I stop siphoning it? Or because I've been doing it for so long I should just stick to it?
I'm no expert as I haven't been in the hobby much longer than you but if you've been doing it and your nitrates don't spike afterwards you're probably good to keep doing it. You probably don't have to vacuum it but at least stir it.

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert as I haven't been in the hobby much longer than you but if you've been doing it and your nitrates don't spike afterwards you're probably good to keep doing it. You probably don't have to vacuum it but at least stir it.
Does your sandbed stay really white for the most part? It's mainly the only reason I vaccume it because I want a nice bright sandbed.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way is acceptable. Do it or don’t. I personally vacuum the whole bed every 3 months and have never had a problem. I’m guessing if you do it frequently you’ll never have an issue. If you never do it and then do too much is when problems seem to arise.

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vacuum my sandbed every 2-3 weeks when I do my 30% water change.

5E7u0wA.jpg

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing it on my weekly water changes and just getting the spots the siphon can fit in but this thread has convinced me to just stir it. So thanks guys.
Yeah, the main reason I just stir it is because I have a really fine grain sand and its a pain in the butt to siphon it since it gets picked up so easily.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 106 57.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 54 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 65 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 54 29.5%
Back