Do you have a backup battery for your aquarium equipment in case of power failure?

Do you have a backup battery for your aquarium equipment in case of power failure?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if it's a norm to have a backup battery supply (or generator) or not. Not sure if it's something that's considered a luxury or a hobbyist norm to own one.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't think about generator as well until users mentioned it in the comments. Consider the question/poll to be anything that keeps up the equipment when the power goes out.

Last edited:

Lokipsl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two ecotech battery backups on my tank which will give me several days of power for an mp10. I live in Florida so hurricanes are a yearly possibility, plus there is always a chance of a deranged Florida man running his car into a utility pole. It brings me a little comfort having the backups

salmonte2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if it's a norm to have a backup battery supply or not. Not sure if it's something that's considered a luxury or a hobbyist norm to own one.
This is what I use

Attachments

• A5C3CCAB-12B6-44D2-9D4E-321162617BF1.jpeg
    A5C3CCAB-12B6-44D2-9D4E-321162617BF1.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 87

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up 2 weeks ago to a power failure, tank was already at 23.5 degrees.
After panicking and running around like a chicken with my head on fire I remembered the 110 plug in my car. Hooked up a 100 foot extension cord and got the heater and the return pump going. All in all it was out for 11 hours.
Everything survived no problem but you're dang right I'm buying a generator at the next sale at Canadian Tire !

Chili D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a generator after reading about all of the power failures in Texas last winter.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generator, can run the furnace in the winter, fans in summer. Batteries would not cut it for long.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do both... I have a in-line UPS that can run the core components for about 3 hrs and a generator to have on hand just in case the blackout lasts longer than 2-3 hrs. Best investment I made!
Live in Dallas and this past Feb, the back up and the generator paid for themselves 10x!
Best money I spent other than the tank and coral.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if it's a norm to have a backup battery supply or not. Not sure if it's something that's considered a luxury or a hobbyist norm to own one.
Depends a lot on where you live and the frequency of power outages. It is wise to have some way to maintain circulation and oxygen.

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends a lot on where you live and the frequency of power outages. It is wise to have some way to maintain circulation and oxygen.
I notice everyone mainly mentions circulation in a power outage situation. Is the heater not as important in an emergency? What about lighting if you have corals?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice everyone mainly mentions circulation in a power outage situation. Is the heater not as important in an emergency? What about lighting if you have corals?
Well, it’s about priorities I suppose. Oxygen depletion is likely to become a problem before temperature; but, eventually temperature will be an issue if the power is out long enough. Corals can go a few days without light.

I do have a battery backup for my vortech pumps, and had various portable generators for almost 20 years. Sunk $$$ into a whole house unit 3 years ago. Lost power for almost four days last Fall. Battery wouldn’t have lasted obviously, and not having to constantly find gasoline was nice. Big nut though.

To me, a generator is a necessary piece of equipment, has been for decades. Just look at all those folks in Texas that lost their tanks.

Last edited:

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but I should lol. I have a battery air stone for when I go fishing but that's about it..

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it’s about priorities I suppose. Oxygen depletion is likely to become a problem before temperature; but, eventually temperature will be an issue if the power is out long enough. Corals can go a few days without light.

I do have a battery backup for my vortech pumps, and had various portable generators for almost 20 years. Sunk $$$ into a whole house unit 3 years ago. Lost power for almost four days last Fall. Battery wouldn’t have lasted obviously, and not having to constantly find gasoline was nice. Big nut though.
Woooooow!!!! Four days without electricity is ridiculous!

I had no idea corals could go that long without light. Good to know.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woooooow!!!! Four days without electricity is ridiculous!

I had no idea corals could go that long without light. Good to know.
They didn’t have to, genny ran for the whole time.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back