Do you have a backup battery for your aquarium equipment in case of power failure?

Do you have a backup battery for your aquarium equipment in case of power failure?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost power for almost four days last Fall.
Woooooow!!!! Four days without electricity is ridiculous!
Since 2010, we have had four 'events' that left us without power for at least 4 days (longest was 6). Without a generator, my tank would not have survived any of them.

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since 2010, we have had four 'events' that left us without power for at least 4 days (longest was 6). Without a generator, my tank would not have survived any of them.
I occasionally have little blips of power outages in my area, but typically we have 1 time a year when a hurricane knocks out power to my area. Fortunately, it has been no longer than a day thus far. KNOCK ON WOOD....AND EVERY TREE IN THE AREA!!!! LOL!!!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a generator and had a power transfer switch installed a week ago after re-reading all of those power outage horror threads over the past few months. It just seemed to make more sense to protect the entire house if the power went out in the dead of winter instead of going with battery back-ups for my MP10s.

Robert Riccio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a CyberPower battery backup large enough to run all of my equipment, including the heater, for about 2 minutes. This is long enough for my generator to kick in and takeover providing power to the aquarium.

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a CyberPower battery backup large enough to run all of my equipment, including the heater, for about 2 minutes. This is long enough for my generator to kick in and takeover providing power to the aquarium.
That's what I bought! It should be in tomorrow. I'm excited. I also ordered a few small smart plugs for it as well. There's certain tasks I can automate with the smart plugs. Please don't tell me there's an app for the CyberPower that can automate the turning off/on of certain outlets on schedule. Lol!

exalectric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankfully my house has only lost power once in the 3.5 years I've been here and it was out for maybeeeeee 6 hours. I've never been concerned on the cold for me and the fur creatures since we have a large fireplace that heat the main floor pretty well (upstairs is an empty guest room and my craft studio only) But now y'all got me worried that I'm not remotely prepared for the aquatic members of the family

Would a 4gal pico be more "okay" in an outage than say the 40gal breeder we're working on setup for? We have tanks spread throughout the house and that sounds like a mess to run cords for (also a cat who chews on electrical cords) but the 40 gal freshwater and soon to be 40gal reef will be basically next to each other and could more easily set up external power for those. I haven't been worried about the smaller freshie tanks since our house is kept at 76 and half of them don't even have a heater in them at all. But I'd worry about the pico....

pic of the cord eater in action (I need to organize my computers....)
106FEC4E-348E-4877-9202-734D5D58E3B3.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankfully my house has only lost power once in the 3.5 years I've been here and it was out for maybeeeeee 6 hours. I've never been concerned on the cold for me and the fur creatures since we have a large fireplace that heat the main floor pretty well (upstairs is an empty guest room and my craft studio only) But now y'all got me worried that I'm not remotely prepared for the aquatic members of the family

Would a 4gal pico be more "okay" in an outage than say the 40gal breeder we're working on setup for? We have tanks spread throughout the house and that sounds like a mess to run cords for (also a cat who chews on electrical cords) but the 40 gal freshwater and soon to be 40gal reef will be basically next to each other and could more easily set up external power for those. I haven't been worried about the smaller freshie tanks since our house is kept at 76 and half of them don't even have a heater in them at all. But I'd worry about the pico....

pic of the cord eater in action (I need to organize my computers....)
106FEC4E-348E-4877-9202-734D5D58E3B3.jpeg
At my house we typically have several small electrial blips a year that I barely recognize that may happen when we're sleep, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut there's that 1 time a year that a hurricane knocks out power in my area. In those instances we've lost power anywhere from an hour to 24 hours.

exalectric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At my house we typically have several small electrial blips a year that I barely recognize that may happen when we're sleep, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut there's that 1 time a year that a hurricane knocks out power in my area. In those instances we've lost power anywhere from an hour to 24 hours.
My company is part of DRP response for a lot of hurricane area. We fly imagery to get damage extend and help direct aid groups / first responders (and insurance companies to get payouts for people with damage) so I can only imagine how often and detrimental those can be!

Where I am its more a concern about nor'easters and ice storms so I suppose the focus is on staying warm and *usually* power comes back quick if it is knocked out. That being said, I've been tempting fate by letting a giant sugar maple wrap its branches throughout the line to my house until last weekend when I filled a whole roll off dumpster with branches I had to trim back.

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My company is part of DRP response for a lot of hurricane area. We fly imagery to get damage extend and help direct aid groups / first responders (and insurance companies to get payouts for people with damage) so I can only imagine how often and detrimental those can be!

Where I am its more a concern about nor'easters and ice storms so I suppose the focus is on staying warm and *usually* power comes back quick if it is knocked out. That being said, I've been tempting fate by letting a giant sugar maple wrap its branches throughout the line to my house until last weekend when I filled a whole roll off dumpster with branches I had to trim back.
Sounds like you have a very interesting and impactful job. Sounds like you know firsthand how mother nature can cause issues to facilitate losing power. I just know that my microwave clock is blinking every other month or so. Lol!!!!

That was definitely a good idea to trim that sugar maple back!

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a generator which protects my tank, sump pumps, AC, heater, and fridge. Cheaper than a basement flood.

Not a fan of trying to back up the whole tank with batteries due to expense and them not lasting long.

I am a fan of battery powered backup air pumps though - due to them being cheap, run for days, and you can just put more batteries in if the power is still not coming on.

I did get a 300 gallon reef through two five or six day power outages using a portable generator. But.. it was stressful. I have had a whole house since then... which also seems to have prevented any more outages from occurring.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3500 watt portable generator but discovered I couldn't run enough heaters if the house got down to 50 while the power was out for 5 days.

So a 32kW whole house system is on order. It cost less than my aquarium setup.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
8000 Watt Gasoline Generator at my house for the long outages. Nothing for the short term except for a battery powered bait/minnow bubbler I had to use once before I had the generator.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I occasionally have little blips of power outages in my area, but typically we have 1 time a year when a hurricane knocks out power to my area. Fortunately, it has been no longer than a day thus far. KNOCK ON WOOD....AND EVERY TREE IN THE AREA!!!! LOL!
If you have delicate electronics for your set up, you may want to consider picking up an in-line UPS as opposed to the cheaper versions. Those blips burned out about $5k of electronics in my house already... It's not the surges that will get you, it's those brown outs or low/high/low power blips that sensitive electronics just can't handle.
Had I not had those on my core components and my network equipment, I'd be out a whole lot more...

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a battery back up. But a generator I plug my out side box to my generator and it runs all outlets except 220. It cost 300 bucks to do that and I have fridge and lights and all 110 working in house pretty nice to have when needed.

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a generator, but living in south Florida it’s really a necessity.
It's tough in Florida, I hear everyone say the same thing. I'm in NC and we do get hit pretty decently but it's definitely nothing like what you all down there get on that awesome stretch of peninsula.

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a battery back up. But a generator I plug my out side box to my generator and it runs all outlets except 220. It cost 300 bucks to do that and I have fridge and lights and all 110 working in house pretty nice to have when needed.
Did you have to get this outside box you plug into installed onto your house or was it already there? What are 220 outlets?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 39 59.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back