Do you have one set up and what does it look like?

Fish Quarantine Tank: Check one that applies to you!

• I have a fish quarantine tank currently setup and in use with fish in it

Votes: 45 17.1%
  • I have a fish quarantine tank set up, cycled and ready to go if needed

Votes: 36 13.7%
  • I have all the equipment for a fish quarantine tank if I need to set one up quickly

Votes: 70 26.6%
  • I don't have a quarantine tank but I want to set one up at some point

Votes: 39 14.8%
  • I don't quarantine fish

Votes: 68 25.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 1.9%

• Total voters

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 4 Qt tanks set up and running. 2 have cooper and / or rocks that have been exposed to copper so these 2 are Fish Only. I have 2 that can be used as needed for Corals and Inverts.
IMG_4521.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4516.JPG
    IMG_4516.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 23

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 4 Qt tanks set up and running. 2 have cooper and / or rocks that have been exposed to copper so these 2 are Fish Only. I have 2 that can be used as needed for Corals and Inverts.
IMG_4521.JPG
This makes me jealous.

james670

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an observation QT currently set up for an orchid dottyback (currently on day 24). It's basically a 10g aquarium startup kit from PetSmart with BioBalls in the HOB that I seeded in my DT sump and a cheap digital thermometer that I "calibrated" with my Hanna Checktemp (by sticking a label that says "+0.3°C"). I keep the lights on the same schedule as my DT.

The black PVC elbow is extremely light in the water, so I've been propping it up against the denser white pipes to keep it in place, but the skittish dottyback seems to prefer the black elbow. It's been under observation for 24 days now, no prophylactic treatment because (a) I'm in Canada, where copper medication is banned, and (b) My LFS is a trusted source (and they only sell captive bred fish too).

My QT is a set up/break down system that is right next to the desk in my home office, so in addition to being a distraction at work, I have been able to keep very close observation of the fish when it comes out of hiding.

Attachments

• 20220517_072503.jpg
    20220517_072503.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 26

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1256 2.jpg

I'm an about to be new reefer, in the process of having my LFS set up a new system. I'll have this 40B with HOB filter and a small UV Sterilizer (which I think most people don't put in their QT?). I hope this will prevent disease outbreaks, but I don't know about the 60 day QT protocol referenced in the start of this thread!

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an extremely bare bones Quarantine/Hospital setup that I only use when adding new fish (so not that often). Here's what it is:

• 10g Aqueon tank
  • Marineland Penguin 150 HOB filter
  • Aqueon 50w heater
  • Amazon Airpump/air stone
  • Some PVC elbows
  • Egg crate lid
That's it. It's currently broken down in the closet but I'm setting it up tomorrow for a quick 14-day observation on a pre-quarantined fish that's arriving Thursday. I have a few pieces of rubble in the rear chamber of my tank that have been "seeding" for a few months. They'll go in the HOB filter as established media. I'll test ammonia daily. I don't use a light, and this packs up nicely when not in use.

FWIW, I think there are good arguments on both sides of the QT issue. I do it because my tank is 13.5 gallons and under 1 year old. Between the small water volume (nothing to dilute pests and parasites) and the young tank (still going through fluctuations), and livestock that hasn't had years to get acclimated to my system, I think QTing is beneficial. But in a 10 year old 200 gallon tank with fish that , there's a good likelihood that the livestock can fight off most common infections and putting a fish (especially a sensitive one) through a thorough QT could do more harm than good. Type of fish matters too - I'd never put a group of Chromis in my tank without QT - it's almost certain to bring Uronema into the tank and no fallow period will get rid of it. On the other hand I wouldn't consider putting a sensitive fish like a Moorish Idol through a rigorous QT process. It's hard enough to keep one and I'd rather get it in the DT as quick as possible instead of stressing it out in QT and hoping that if it lives there, it'll thrive in my DT.

stephen wyard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don"t quarentine fish mostly because the biggest threat I have had is paracites.I have an all natural remedy for that .So I have never had a problem .

stephen wyard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don"t quarentine fish because the biggest thread I have is paracites.I use an all natural cure with no stress to the fish and can be applyed to the food so I have never really had a problem

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich out break in the main tank. Removing live rock to catch fish caused some coral loss. Having to set up a large tank to treat 15 fish. Fish less tank for 3 months. Never again for me. I now have a QT set up at all times for fish. Just have to set up one for corals. So I'm limited to just buying fish at this time.

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many people quarantine coral? Maybe there should be a separate thread for this. I am a new reefer, and thought I would want to quarantine coral, but I’ve been advised not to do this, and I don’t believe many people do.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many people quarantine coral? Maybe there should be a separate thread for this. I am a new reefer, and thought I would want to quarantine coral, but I’ve been advised not to do this, and I don’t believe many people do.
It’s good practice to eliminate all chances of disease from getting in the tank.
I do not, but I definitely would qt coral if I had a free tank for it. I trust the systems I get my coral from.

new_fish_on_the_blok

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first time I set up my tank, I did not QT the fish. It was never a problem as the fish were disease free (luckily).. I did end up crashing that tank and on this tank I am also not going to QT, but I get my fish from places that QT for me. Three of the bigger LFSs in my area offer this service, and divers den from LiveAquaria are the solution to that issue.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never qt fish. But then again my LFS owner drives to the wholesalers and hand picks everything then puts them in his medicated system for a week or so before putting them into the sale tanks. He's very particular about bringing anything into his store tanks. The only time I ever ordered from an online supplier because they had a hard to get fish I had to have I had an ich outbreak. I also realize most LFS don't have the luxury of hand picking their fish. They are also already acclimated to 1.026 so all I have to do is temp acclimate and dump them in my tanks.

ReefingIsMyTherapy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this question is not too off topic, but how do you clean up the gear you used on a QT when you're ready to take it down? I had a fish in QT for a few weeks, and had to use copper power to treah ich. I finally transferred my fish to my DT after the treatment was completed, but now I'm wondering what's the best way to clean the tank and gear. Thanks!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this question is not too off topic, but how do you clean up the gear you used on a QT when you're ready to take it down? I had a fish in QT for a few weeks, and had to use copper power to treah ich. I finally transferred my fish to my DT after the treatment was completed, but now I'm wondering what's the best way to clean the tank and gear. Thanks!
Technically the copper would have taken care of all the ich in the tank. I’d just rinse everything under hot freshwater to get it ready for the next batch.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never has a qt tank in all the years of keeping marine tanks. Over the years very little problems with sick fish .
nowadays I only buy from one person that I have never gotten anything but healthy livestock from. I don’t order online anymore.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't quarantine but my tank is only 51 years old. I have heard that just past 52 years problems happen. :anguished-face:

These spawning fireclowns are about 30 years old and they are scared to death of what next year will bring. :anxious-face-with-sweat:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't quarantine but my tank is only 51 years old. I have heard that just past 52 years problems happen. :anguished-face:

These spawning fireclowns are about 30 years old and they are scared to death of what next year will bring. :anxious-face-with-sweat:

You’ve been lucky - All it takes is one sick fish.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank lasts another 50 years, will I still be considered lucky? :D

I am actually "lucky" because I don't want to kill parasites. :)

But I don't want to get into that. Have a great day. I am going to play the Lottery :D

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back