Do you have to feed a diamond watchman goby

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about getting a diamond watchman goby for my 235 gallon. There is a lot of sand, can this sustain this fish without feeding? I rely on automatic feeders for a week at a time and no frozen or live feeding will occur for a week at a time. I can feed him while I’m home but often will not be able to. Is this possible? I do not want to starve a fish to death.

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you need to feed your diamond, but once he is acclimated he will eat during normal feeding with the rest of your fish. You don't need to do anything special for him. That being said don't expect him to live on cleaning your sand alone. It's probably not that dirty

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are anything I put on the tank after a while. I’ve heard people have trouble feeding some diamonds. But from all the posts I’ve read seems they do eventually eat. Just be prepared for him to rearrange a ton of sand

DinoMagnet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine feeds straight from the water column not as accurate ashis tankmatesbut they’ll eat frozen and pellets. I personally don’t think microfauna is enough to keep them fat and healthy

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can have people feed him while I’m gone short term, but need him to eventually be okay with pellets and sand. I need a self sufficient tank but there are people around to get things started for awhile.

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can have people feed him while I’m gone short term, but need him to eventually be okay with pellets and sand. I need a self sufficient tank but there are people around to get things started for awhile.
he should eventually be fine with pellets. Just don't expect it right away

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 in quarantine. They ate anything i put in there. Then they jumped out a small opening in the back. When found one was slightly alive. Poor guy actually lived 48 more hours but was just wasting away and didnt make it.

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They'll eat most anything. that said, if he won't start try blood worms, almost always works for me. they will keep your sand white but if it's been in the tank for awhile, (the sand) and you just add the goby then be prepare for it to look cloudy for awhile so if your tank turns...it may just your goby not a bloom. Warning: Have only medium to fine sand as I've had 2 well established fish choke to death when they found the larger gravel size. They are very fun but one of mine would purposefully fill his mouth with sand and then swim halfway across the tank and drop it on my zoas...it doesn't take long to cover them up so make sure you have a turkey baster to blow the sand off of them!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back