Do you have to quarantine fresh wayer mollies?

Galeno rocha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new tank that is cycling. Already no amonia or nitrite.
I'm going to quarantine my old fish in Copper and praziquantel.
Meanwhile, I'm thinking of keeping my new tank cycled and diatom free with the fresh water mollies.
Can they carry disease to salt water fish?
As far as I know, fresh water ich is killed by salt treatment and marine ich by hyposalinity.

Topekoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are better just ghost feeding the tank and letting the tank go fallow for 76 days if you are worried about ich. if you keep any fish in the tank the ich will continue to live.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bottle of Dr Tims ammonium chloride will keep your tanks bio active. A few drops a week.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree fish not needed to maintain the biofilter. A better use for mollies would be to put a black mollie in with the fish after they have completed treatment. If ich was not eradicated it would show up pretty quick in the mollie.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree fish not needed to maintain the biofilter. A better use for mollies would be to put a black mollie in with the fish after they have completed treatment. If ich was not eradicated it would show up pretty quick in the mollie.
+1

OP
OP
G

Galeno rocha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify... I do not have ich neither in the new system or the old one.
I'll treat prophylatically.
I just don't want to carry disease from the fish store.
But can disease be carried from fresh to salt water?

I do not currently have acces to Dr. Tim's, yet my goal is not only keep the nitrogen cycle going, but the whole biology... Phosphates, carbon etc, and they they nip on algae.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new tank that is cycling. Already no amonia or nitrite.
I'm going to quarantine my old fish in Copper and praziquantel.
Meanwhile, I'm thinking of keeping my new tank cycled and diatom free with the fresh water mollies.
Can they carry disease to salt water fish?
As far as I know, fresh water ich is killed by salt treatment and marine ich by hyposalinity.

To answer your question, you do not have to quarantine freshwater mollies when adding to saltwater. Freshwater parasites cannot survive in saltwater. My LFS has mollies already in saltwater, those would have to be quarantined because they may have contracted a saltwater parasite.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i asked humblefish this recently as i stumbled upon a tank full of black mollies at my lfs. he asked if they were in full freshwater or a somewhat brackish type tank. there were those greenish brackish puffers and monos in there so i assumed brackish so he said they could carry saltwater diseases.

i did wander into a petco and they had mollies, so i asked the employee what salinity they were in and he gave me a sob story about how petco corporate took away their brackish system so they were in full freshwater.. but tbh i didn't have it in me to buy fish to not QT from petco lol

OP
OP
G

Galeno rocha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I didn't have it in me either. I got the mollies yesterday and ended up putting them in the quarantine tank. Unfortunately I lost one during drip acclimation, which in hindsight was too long (12 hours) due to loosing syphon.

BTW all stores keep them in freshwater here, as mine were.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%
Back