Do you keep corals on frag plugs when placing them?

Do you keep corals on frag plugs when placing them in their specific spot?

• Yes

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

Requiemiero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no where near close to getting my first coral, but I'm wondering how to get the corals off the frag plugs when you get them. A razor blade?

And it looks like some people like keeping the corals on the plugs too. I'm guessing it's just personal preference.

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut the stem off the plug, then use the superglue-putty-superglue mounting method. Helps the frags encrust faster.

Carpenter Wayne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no where near close to getting my first coral, but I'm wondering how to get the corals off the frag plugs when you get them. A razor blade?

And it looks like some people like keeping the corals on the plugs too. I'm guessing it's just personal preference.
Their is a great YouTube video with Top Shelf Aquatic's. They highly recommend taking the coral off of the plugs to minimize the risk of introducing unwanted critters. Some coral you are unable to remove the entire plug and or rock the coral are on. Some mushrooms and Zoe's are great examples of keeping some of the rock or plugs in tack in order to avoid killing the coral. In the video I suggested is very thorough, also goes into the types of tools to use and dips you can do before introduction into your tank. If you need the exact link I will find it and send it to you.

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cut around the plug and pull whole old plug out then cut up that plug into quarters and glue those onto other plugs. Let those grow out for 5 to 10 heads something healthy and growing.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 47 33.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back