Do you know EXACTLY what your tank's consumption rates of Calc, Alk, Mag and other elements are? If so what is your method to discover these rates?

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checking every day seems like it could bring in more error since every test is going to have a 'margin of error'. I guess you could average out all the daily 'depletions' but - I would just measure once every 4 days maybe twice and use the difference between day 1 and day 4

One problem - depending on how quickly your tank uses up additives, as a 2 week period goes along, the coral growth may slow - which will change the depletion rate.

I believe the 'Best' way to do it - is to just start dosing based on a couple day test - then test and adjust the dosing to keep the parameters where you want them. You don't need the 'consumption rate' per se - as much a you need to keep the parameters stable - which you can do by testing and adjusting your dosing based on the test.
Makes sense. I didn't consider that corals may be reactive to a 2 week period of depleted elements and readjust by slowing their consumption rate of a particular element.

I like the test on day 1, dose if needed to bring back up to range, then test again 4 days later, dose again if needed, then test again 4 days later.... and so on and so on and so on.

Charting a "every-4th-day" regiment should show me pretty dang close what the consumption rate is.

I'm going to implement this "every-4th-day" regiment

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Makes sense. I didn't consider that corals may be reactive to a 2 week period of depleted elements and readjust by slowing their consumption rate of a particular element.

I like the test on day 1, dose if needed to bring back up to range, then test again 4 days later, dose again if needed, then test again 4 days later.... and so on and so on and so on.

Charting a "every-4th-day" regiment should show me pretty dang close what the consumption rate is.

I'm going to implement this "every-4th-day" regiment
That wasn't exactly what I meant. But - it sounds like it would work. What I meant is do 1 4 day period (or 2) - and take the average depletion. Then calculate how much you need to dose each day to maintain that using one of the calculator available. Then, when you do your periodic testing, you can just adjust your dosing meter to keep the parameters where you want them.

Back