Do you leave glass cleaning magnet in the tank all time or remove it?

Do you leave glass cleaning magnet in the tank all time or remove it?

• Remove out of the tank every time after use

Votes: 83 25.6%
  • Leave it in the tank all time except for cleaning

Votes: 151 46.6%
  • Never removed or cleaned

Votes: 70 21.6%
  • Don't use magnet cleaner

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Some days remove and sometime not.

Votes: 18 5.6%

• Total voters

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always had this question myself, I have those flipper magnet two of them (with steel blade on the side) and i leave it on the side glass of the my tank hidden sight (kinda) right on the top where half outside water and half inside. Wondering if its safe in terms of it being a metal and can it contaminate in any way when it's in good condition or used for years. What are your thoughts?

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually try to. I know I should, as the 10 gal I use for quarantine has a rust stain on the glass from a cheap walmart magnet cleaner that started to rust through. On the handle style blade only cleaners like the flipper and the Tunze, I've read that the magnets can eventually break through the plastic because of the constant force on them if left pulling toward each other.

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I to have the flipper magnet and take it out, washed and stored in a plastic container. As I see it, the film ( Diatom algae etc.)on the glass you have scraped off gets carried away into your filter sock or filter mediia, but your magnet will be holding on what you scraped and to me personally gets transferred back onto the glass.tank if not taken out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I rinse and let it drip dry in dish rack after EVERY use

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave my Alginator 2500 (i like saying it in an Arnie Schwarzenegger voice) only being 1.5" square it is easy to leave it out of sight....if i used a larger magnet with a metal blade i would remove it

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had a glass tank I just left it in up in one corner. Now I have an acrylic tank, it comes out after every cleaning.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take it out. With the amount of coralline and other calcifying tube worms and vertimid snails and whatever else the last thing I am taking a chance on is one of those somehow getting on the magnet and me scratching up the starfire glass. If it’s even a 1% chance that is too high for me.

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take it out. With the amount of coralline and other calcifying tube worms and vertimid snails and whatever else the last thing I am taking a chance on is one of those somehow getting on the magnet and me scratching up the starfire glass. If it’s even a 1% chance that is too high for me.

I wonder how i got few scratches on my RedSea 350 glass, its visible only in an angle, its that blade may have scratched it or as you said.

Tyler Bullock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This just reminded me I left mine in my tank last night after cleaning the glass.

I try to take mine out after use. But with kids and a wife always wanting me to do something I forget some times. I do try to remove it after I use it.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only used Flippers, no other types.
Leave them in all (glass) 3 display tanks as well as the qt.
Occasionally take them out to clean them off a bit, but that's rare.
No problems or suspected issues with them.

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the tunze magnet cleaner, stays in the tank 24/7. My trochus snails love to hang out on it and clean it, so no need to come out. If not I would probably clean it every month or so.

Darth.Daddy12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing is I’ve always left them in the tank in front lane to quickly clean the glass for looking st the tank. After a while I stop using them cause they really don’t work all that well unless you do it daily or every couple days. I gradually stopped using them all together years ago.. however they are still sitting inside most of my tanks lol. Don’t really know why other then just shear laziness lol. Maybe subconsciously I think every tank is supposed to have one showing to help show you take care of it routinely? Idk lol.

I mostly use a glass safe blue scrubber pad and just leave it out in the open near each tank and just scrub as I visually see an issue. Throw them away and replace them every few weeks. I usually cut them down to not much larger then finger pressure point size as really that’s the only areas getting used anyways.

If I’m scrapping corralline which I rarly do I just use a regular razor blade in a holder I first clean with brake cleaner to get the grease of if it attached to a handle. Brake cleaner in your tank! It mostly evaporated quickly and I do rinse them after that lol. Never had an issue. I’ve just scratched too many tanks with too many packaged goods over the years. I work with glass daily and like to be able to feel exactly what is happening through feedback.

That said I normally only scrape the front glass anyways as I like to let things go natural even algae diatoms etc long as I can get a clear view from the front.

Kyuss414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Hammerhead mag cleaner, no metal on it, but still take it out every time.

I do leave a smaller magfloat (again no metal) in the tank all the time though as I use it with a piece of the 1/4" clear mesh wrapped around it to hold nori for the tang. That one just stays there til I feed nori again. Been in there pretty much 24/7 for about 5 years now.

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are use the flipper and I leave it in the tank. I’ve never seen any evidence of corrosion or rust or anything like that. Probably best of course to take it out but there’s a lid on the tank and I’m too lazy to take it out every time but I do take it out once a week or so and soak it in vinegar.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back