Do you leave glass cleaning magnet in the tank all time or remove it?

Do you leave glass cleaning magnet in the tank all time or remove it?

• Remove out of the tank every time after use

Votes: 83 25.6%
  • Leave it in the tank all time except for cleaning

Votes: 151 46.6%
  • Never removed or cleaned

Votes: 70 21.6%
  • Don't use magnet cleaner

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Some days remove and sometime not.

Votes: 18 5.6%

• Total voters

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 TLF tiny mag cleaners rust,after that I will never leave a magnet cleaner in my tank. Thankfully I keep pico's so I can use a toothbrush :)

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both a Flipper and a Tunze long and take them out every time. I have had a lot of spirobid worms in the past and I have several scratches from them getting on both the velcro side of the cleaner and the blade itself. I never use the velcro side anymore just the blade on the Flipper.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you leave it in the tank, you can get some really nice encrustations growing on it!

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a magnavore and never take it out except for about once per year to soak in citric acid. I just keep it behind a powerhead so it’s not in view.

leorii2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends. At times I remove, rinse and let dry And other times I’ll let it sit in a few days and clean the glass often.

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had heavy metal like tin, chromium, vanadium come back in icp test? I ask because my first icp test had high vanadium and i stopped using a cheap hand held scraper with a kind of powercoated or annodized finish on it. That went away, then i got a new fairly high end magnetic scraper with stainless blade and was leaving it in the tank and now i have a high tin warning on 2nd icp test but i dont know if it is the source. Im starting with a well respected 7 stage ro/di.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flipper stays in. Mostly because my son scrapes the glass and feeds the fish so I am just plain happy to get that.
I do pull it to clean it. I did suspect that as being a source of tin but its good. I later found my scraper and a scrub brush
to be the culprit.
FWIW those all plastic brushes, the bristles have a staple to hold them together during the molding process.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forget the brand of mine but it's been in there from day one. Took it out once to clean about a year ago lol. Its covered in coraline and my clowns live on it. lol.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it has a metal blade, it comes out every time. If not, then I'm comfortable keeping it in.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mostly use the Flipper when needed. If the tank is getting an algae film on the glass daily I'll then use the Mag Float and keep it in the tank to do quick cleanings.

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the tunze magnet cleaner, stays in the tank 24/7. My trochus snails love to hang out on it and clean it, so no need to come out. If not I would probably clean it every month or so.

lol, so thats what my trochus is doing. I have a large one that seems to climb the acrylic every night to my flipper.

Neptunium93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always left my mag float in my tank but will not leave any other magnets in my tank, I’ve had way too many product with neodymium magnets rust and caused problems in my tank after awhile.

furyofthegnomes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the flipper cleaner, I leave mine in my tank because my kamohara blenny sleeps on it every night if I leave the metal blade facing away from the glass. It's a nice little cradle for her. So far no problems.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back