Do you leave your local fish store disappointed? Why is that?

Do you ever leave your local fish store disappointed?

• Yes all the time

Votes: 379 35.1%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 541 50.0%
  • Never

Votes: 92 8.5%
  • I don't have a LFS

Votes: 53 4.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 16 1.5%

• Total voters

Wolters_88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the middle of the US so the LFS in Kansas City try to charge outlandish prices on things. Like, literally three times what I could just buy it online for.

When I first started I was sold this as a PZ Godspawn and when I asked about it after doing some research they said it was an OG... won’t refund me.

303AA655-4C15-4C10-B236-D64F5308EADD.jpeg

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in Orlando we have the best LFStores around. I don’t think I’ve ever left TSA or WWC disappointed. If I need something they will order it and if I want something they will cut it. These guys are top notch. I/We feel very spoiled in Orlando. We at least I hope I speak for the rest. Just the way I feel!!! :D

Seminole County here, so I agree that there are at least a lot of options. Coral wise TSA and WWC have what I want/need almost all of the time. Some are hit and miss when you go in on stocking limits. Some from the way they run, some not able to keep up with demands. I know one is getting bigger to meet those demands though. Two have limited SW fish and coral. Another I don't bother going to b/c they used to be nice and now they keep downgrading themselves. I think the WWC superstore is great across the board, just hate driving into the tourist district.

gray808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes [x]
I don't have a LFS [x]

The nearest LFS to me is in either Redding, CA or Roseberg, OR. I've checked out the one in Redding. It was... kinda meh. So yeah, I was a little disappointed. They had a decent selection of corals, but the fish selection was only a bit better than PetCo.

--Gray

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m also in Orlando so my LFS’s are World Wide Corals, Top Shelf Aquatics and Living Reef Orlando. So I’m doing pretty well in the LFS department. :)

nsteinca

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing that leaves me the most disappointed is seeing the obvious signs of pests and diseases in the livestock. Even if I’m not interested in purchasing a specific thing, it’s great to see it healthy and thriving before it finds its forever home. I unfortunately have yet to go to a LFS that doesn’t have a massive outbreak of aiptasia in the frag tanks or fish showing signs of ick. One lfs consistently has dead livestock in its tanks and it takes them what seems like days to take it out, if they even bother to.

The other thing that disappoints me is the absurdly high prices for fish, inverts, and corals - and that’s if they even bother to clearly advertise the prices. Countless times I have gone in and have had arbitrary prices thrown at me that drastically fluctuate each time I go in. When comparing their prices to prices online, they're almost always charging 50% or more for the same product, but the lfs' product is probably in worse health.

A lot of people hate ordering online, but because of these experiences at the lfs around me, online ordering has been my go to. Yes, you may have to pay shipping for online retailers (unless you meet/surpass their free shipping minimum), but in my experience the livestock I receive from online vendors have consistently been far healthier than those at any of my lfs. A lot of online retailers also provide some form of guarantee on your livestock arriving healthy, and some even go further than that. I’ve never experienced that at any lfs. Even when I attempt to go in and get store credit for some frags or inverts, they’re always cold and reluctant unless I give it to them for free. Any discounts on the stuff I’m grabbing while there? Not a chance!

Lastly, customer service has typically been pretty bad at the lfs around me. You have to go out of your way, numerous times, to get the attention of any of the employees and once you finally do, it seems as if its the greatest burden on them. You typically will get the cold shoulder and almost feel rushed out of the store. Got any questions? Be prepared for a very short answer that really doesn't help answer the question at all. Compare this experience with the customer service of online retailers and it doesn't even compare. Online retailers understand they must have great customer service or the customer could easily go to a different online retailer to make their purchases.

As for what makes a great lfs, in my opinion:
- Healthy, thriving livestock
- Attentive, professional, and helpful customer service (a welcoming environment)
- Options: stuff for the beginner to the expert
- Clearly labeled pricing that is at least somewhat comparable to online retailers
- Clean and organized store
- Willingness to order specific products for customers (if possible)
- Bonus: some varying display tanks to give customers some inspiration and/or to show off the lfs' skills
- Bonus: rewards program for returning customers (doesn't have to be much)
- Bonus: active social media presence to highlight their store, livestock, deals, etc.
- Bonus: community engagement (via in-store events and out-of-store community events)

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shop at Aquatic Jewels on Stirling Road in Hollywood, FL and love their staff. Their manager Matt and his team always try to please and make the effort. They are extremely knowledgable and never try to sell me something I don't need. In fact there have been times where they steered me away from an expensive coral to something that costs less and they were spot on.

Aside from my personal tank in my condo, my building has a tank in the lobby which they service and last Sunday it had a tank emergency. They arrived on the scene in less than 30 minutes to handle the matter.

Alaska-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in Alaska we only have one "real" salt water store. They are a great group of guys. The only issue I have had with them is that they don't quarantine anything.

Finnaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What are the most disappointing aspects that make a local fish store bad or makes you leave disappointed?
Dirty Tanks, half dead corals, lack of stock and bad service

2. Do you have an amazing LFS near you and if so why are they great?

I have 1 amazing LFS that has almost everything you could need and loaded with quality livestock. 2 or 3 others that are hit or miss

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing that bothers me most is all the livestock that has no place in 99% of tanks - the dragon wrasses, and unicorn tangs, etc. The stuff that has ridiculous requirements and should really be a special order.

And the constant selling of fish like this to newbies,

leighla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently moved AWAY from Orlando and miss the quality up there (shout out to WWC, TSA, Living Reef, and Sea in the City). Where I'm out now, I leave disappointed because the fish look really bad, the corals look pretty bad and the staff have a variety of challenges (primarily lack of knowledge mixed with some arrogance and a robust desire to share about politics, unsolicited, each time).
I drive over 45 minutes to a store for dry goods/live goods because they have strong service (know their stuff), and healthy stock.

amarcini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live close to a big lfs. My issue is that there is an over abundance of big ticket livestock and nothing simple. I’ve had to order gsp from the internet because the lfs doesn’t carry it. That is one example. It doesn’t carry Xenia either. But if you want a $200 frag, you’re in luck.

Ksmmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in South Florida, I have a few fish and coral stores in my area. When I'm really Jonesing to peek at some coral, I drive close to 3 hours each way to WWC and Living Reef, but they aren't really local. Since the pandemic, the LFS's have had no stock and I doubt one is going to survive. Shame but true.

The other issue I've had is that almost every piece of coral I bought from one store died quickly, while from 2 others stores, almost every frag thrived in my tank. I can't figure that one out.

I almost think the virus has been a blessing for my tank because I haven't added a thing in the past 6 months and all my fish and coral are growing and thriving. Maybe not touching a thing except for doing general maintenance has allowed the tank to grow. Knock on wood, but I haven't lost a thing all year.

DrG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On 1st glance all the lfs look great. 2nd glance, rampant aphasia. You can't purchase coral rubble, live rock without introducing it into your tank.

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What are the most disappointing aspects that make a local fish store bad or makes you leave disappointed?

My LFS doesn't care about the fishes, they only care about money. Last time I went in there they were trying to sell a niger trigger to someone for 100 CAD, but they have it listed for 70 CAD on their website. I get it they want to make money, but they shouldn't rip people off with a smile on their face. That's just one of the many things they do that's questionable. I guess there's a reason they have a 2-star rating on google.

I don't, the only one that I have near me is the one I mentioned in question 1.

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disappointed most of the time, I'm into sps which most LFS within 3 hrs of me only have the basics.
1. Exactly the same here in Chicago. SPS are few and far between. I mean nobody carries these things beyond an occasional birds nest and monti. Husbandry is often pathetic.
It baffles me really what most stores look like. With a little love and a grow out tank the wonders that could be had. I guess there is no market for sps here. Need to buy online. So sad :(
2. None, I stop by many regularly hoping to see something different or find an unexpected gem..... no luck so far.

To be fair, LPS are everywhere, but I rarely see anything special there either. Same ole common colors.

stephenwjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an awesome thing to have a local fish store that carries healthy fish, beautiful coral and all the supplies that you need! But in reality this isn't a reality for must of us. We all know there are MANY of these amazing local fish stores in the world, they exist, but for most of us it's not the truth. :( So what is so disappointing about a lot of these stores? Let's talk about it today!

1. What are the most disappointing aspects that make a local fish store bad or makes you leave disappointed? (no names please)

@TopShelfAquatics store
IMG_4686.JPEG

In the process of starting a new reef and the LFS are disappointing to say the least. The only way to get good quality will be to order online, TSA will be my first choice. Just do not have any good choices here in Stockton. If anyone has a suggestion for the Stockton area here in California it would be apricated.

Thanks,

1NC0GNITO

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 to choose from ranging from 40 minutes away to 70 minutes. 3 of them have reasonable prices and healthy fish and coral. Having read many posts on this thread I count myself blessed.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back