Do you leave your local fish store disappointed? Why is that?

Do you ever leave your local fish store disappointed?

• Yes all the time

Votes: 379 35.1%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 540 50.0%
  • Never

Votes: 92 8.5%
  • I don't have a LFS

Votes: 53 4.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 16 1.5%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's an awesome thing to have a local fish store that carries healthy fish, beautiful coral and all the supplies that you need! But in reality this isn't a reality for must of us. We all know there are MANY of these amazing local fish stores in the world, they exist, but for most of us it's not the truth. :( So what is so disappointing about a lot of these stores? Let's talk about it today!

1. What are the most disappointing aspects that make a local fish store bad or makes you leave disappointed? (no names please)

2. Do you have an amazing LFS near you and if so why are they great?

@TopShelfAquatics store
IMG_4686.JPEG

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Living in Orlando we have the best LFStores around. I don’t think I’ve ever left TSA or WWC disappointed. If I need something they will order it and if I want something they will cut it. These guys are top notch. I/We feel very spoiled in Orlando. We at least I hope I speak for the rest. Just the way I feel!!! :D

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only leave disappointed when they don't have what I am looking for.....which happens quite a bit since I normally go looking for a specific fish. I do have a nice LFS within 30 minutes of me that recently expanded to a MUCH larger space. They have 10+ display tanks with a decent selection of coral and fish.

The Night Driving Avenger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i'm in the north of scotland. there's 3 in an 80 mile radius from me, 2 independents and one thats part of a chain. the chain one is great and helped me out a lot and gives me really good deals on ex display stuff etc. the other two slag each other and the chain off and the independant 1 has made a few snide remarks about me shopping at the chain so i don't really want to go back. it's not my bloody fault they all sell different stuff and the stuff they do have in common is at vastly different prices!

chain sells a lot of weird critters and has pretty much everything you need but not much in the way of LPS and SPS. independent 1 has a superb coral selection but nothing exciting in other areas, independent 2 doesnt have much at all but i go there mostly for a day out because of the journey.

for sps lps and other fancy corals, i'm considering going online only. sure, i wont get the instore advice but i have this site and to be honest if you're going to get ***** at someone whos told you they're on disability for shopping around then i don't see why i should support you!

i am planning a visit to pass aquatics in aberdeen once the virus situation dies down, they look like they have a lot of cool stuff and it'd be a nice trip.

sorry for the rant, i actually thought about posting this as its own thread then saw this one lol

Last edited:

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disappointed sometimes.

Here in nepa the good fish stores are few and far between..

Recently the selection of both fish and coral have been less than desirable. Same stuff over and over.

Now I'm not even a high end guy, I'm just looking for some different montis besides green and orange, and maybe a people tang if it were to show up. Recently it's been the same zoas, softy, and minimal hard coral, with basic starter fish

waynel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a lfs that carries a small selection of fish, mostly clowns and damsels, very little coral, and mostly API products. I've asked them numerous times to order things, but so far, no luck. The next closest lfs that has salt water/reef things is 1 hr away, but they do have a better fish selection and more corals.

virtual reality

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is small, and the prices are about double for some stuff. They don't have saltwater fish either.

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in Orlando we have the best LFStores around. I don’t think I’ve ever left TSA or WWC disappointed. If I need something they will order it and if I want something they will cut it. These guys are top notch. I/We feel very spoiled in Orlando. We at least I hope I speak for the rest. Just the way I feel!!! :D
Same!!! I am lucky I live in Orlando I feel spoiled ;)

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disappointed most of the time, I'm into sps which most LFS within 3 hrs of me only have the basics.

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sir, live in Virginia and it’s pretty much over priced and the fish are either sick or almost gone.​

Coral, more over priced then you could imagine. You could pay $100 for a common zoa.....​
And don’t even get me started if they sell puppies there..... saw a puppy for $7k and just laughed.​

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sir, live in Virginia and it’s pretty much over priced and the fish are either sick or almost gone.​
Coral, more over priced then you could imagine. You could pay $100 for a common zoa.....​
And don’t even get me started if they sell puppies there..... saw a puppy for $7k and just laughed.​
Hey I bought both of my pups there! lol

Let me just add that I am thankful for online vendors.

Sherrya62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me is the selection of affordable frags. It seems that in my area the selection is getting smaller. Also, the last two times I visited my local shops the fish and inverts were not that great as in selection.

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS has ugly corals, and the nice ones they have are WAY overpriced. The owners are very cold and rude. The fish that I got from them killed my whole tank, from Ich!

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish there was a "most of the time" on the poll.
I understand the LFS go with the "bread and butter" stock … probably catering more to beginners … but still grateful the LFS are around and usually enjoy going in , browsing, and occasionally "finding" something unique or different.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now the only thing in my area are 3 different big box pet stores. One doesn’t carry any salt fish, the other 2 have some but their tanks are gross, none sell coral. There are 2 private LFS of which one is in the process of moving locations and the other is only open by appointment because of COVID so will be checking them out once I complete my build.

BobFageUK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do not in the United Kingdom have fish shops the sort of size the photographs show. How I wish.

The independent shop I have tried to buy 95% of the nearly £8,000 I have spent on the set up over the 11 months. Good customer I hope, however several times I have asked for a fish and they do not tell me one is in and it sells out before I can visit..I am in a wheelchair and the shop is not easy to get around due to the gaps in the stock on the shelfs. I have been waiting for a giant clam for 6 months. I called them this week and they had one in, but it turned out it was the runt of the 6 they had and 5 sold and this one was not in a good shape. They deliver to me every two weeks water RO and Salt although I do have the equipment to make my own if I had to. So I am in contact with them weekly so no excuse that they can forget they have a customer that will pay the £145 for the clam. I have so far missed out on a fox face, a dwarf angel. So I gets a bit cross that they let me down. The next shop is 40 miles away and not assessable to wheelchairs (despite the laws) but my wife has visited them in the past and they are 99% coral and have a few Clams. (small).

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 stores near me.
Chain store always has ich, or something else in there tanks . Also severely overpriced. I avoid them, and they always try and sell you sick fish.
Store 2, there water is always a dark yellow, and very few fish.
store 3 just has the worst customer service, sold me a Red Sea tank, 6 months later the seam started failing, refused to help me in any way.
store 4 is decent for fish, they won’t sell anything that has any signs of a disease. He watches the fish for 2 weeks before selling. But very very little coral or inverts.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 less than 5 miles from home. Next one is 3 hours away.
Overall not bad and friendly people with decent selection.
Never bought online yet.
Looking at Battle Corals as a few I know have bought nice pieces that you dont see in the lfs.

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 LFS that are less that 20min drive from my house.
REEFCO in NJ is my go to store. Brian the owner never
Disappoints every time I go I see something new.
They date all the fish and everything is priced.they also mark if the fish or invert is reef safe.
Most of the corals are home grown in NJ so
The frags are always clean and well taken care of.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back