Do you leave your local fish store disappointed? Why is that?

Do you ever leave your local fish store disappointed?

• Yes all the time

Votes: 379 35.1%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 541 50.0%
  • Never

Votes: 92 8.5%
  • I don't have a LFS

Votes: 53 4.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 16 1.5%

• Total voters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lately I have been leaving, aka logging out, the online retailer, I frequent disappointed. I have been logging in multiple times a week waiting for them to stock/restock the products I want. This alone does not disappoint me, its the problem I see these products listed avalable elsewhere for sale. I know I could buy them at another place but I like getting my "point" in once place to save up for a good discount. IDK, maybe I am wrong. I do need to clarify I will continue to wait for my online store of choice to get what I want , but it is disappointing to not be able to get when other online stores have is in stock again.

Dennisd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to find out their schedule for deliveries. Otherwise you miss out and even when you get there on the right days they do not have something that catches your eye or what you need.

Leo yodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an awesome thing to have a local fish store that carries healthy fish, beautiful coral and all the supplies that you need! But in reality this isn't a reality for must of us. We all know there are MANY of these amazing local fish stores in the world, they exist, but for most of us it's not the truth. :( So what is so disappointing about a lot of these stores? Let's talk about it today!

1. What are the most disappointing aspects that make a local fish store bad or makes you leave disappointed? (no names please)

2. Do you have an amazing LFS near you and if so why are they great?

@TopShelfAquatics store
IMG_4686.JPEG
I have a great supplier. He runs the store out of his house but always has a huge selection. It’s great to be able to pick and choose. Chuck Coveleski’s coveys coral cove!!! He also ships

ricksmithsdca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be in San Diego next week in lemon grove anytime I’m out of town I check the lfs can you recommend any that I should hit while I’m there?

Freshwater or Saltwater? There is Pet Kingdom which is like 15 minutes from there. You could check out Shipwreck in Encinitas (40 minute drive). There is one on University Ave about 10 minutes from Lemon Grove, SD Corals, 7424 University Ave, La Mesa, CA 91942. I have never been there but I see their posts on the local facebook groups and they seem to have quality stuff.

Eric Miller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in the Tampa Bay area and there is a lot of lfs but none of the stores come close to the Coral Corral, Customer Service
is top notch and if they don't have they will get it for you.

seaescape

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say this... most people get upset at their LFS but a lot of the problem are people who don't support them and continue to buy online. Think about all the business you give online vs what you could be pouring into the LFS. I get it, not everyone lives near a LFS or maybe some of the stores are crappy per say. Most of the LFS don't want to invest in thousands of $$$ in dry goods that may or may not sell because people continue to buy online instead of getting it local. I say spend time to get to know your owners and instead ask them if they can get you what you need. I know you may not have it in 2 days or quicker via Amazon Prime, but you are buying it locally. Most of your LFS will do their best at price matching if you talk to them. As far as fish prices they are continuing to go up via covid and unless they are ordering high qty the prices will be high. The longer an LFS holds onto a fish in stock their profit margin goes down. Again, talk to your LFS and see if they can price match or come down a little in their price to make it worth it. Remember if you are buying a fish online at a great price you don't know what health it is in, or if it will make it. At least at the price you are paying locally you can actually see the fish, if it's eating, how healthy it is, and etc. I talk to my LFS and tell him what I want, what I'm looking for and he orders it if he can. If he can't get it, then he will tell me to just order it online. There has been one occasion where he could get the product, but the price on it was sooo much cheaper online that he told me he couldn't even come close to matching it. He said get it online. Things to remember though..... when it's 8PM and you have a disaster like a tank leak or something else, will your online store be there to help you in the emergency?? I know my LFS will be there and open the door after hours when if need him to.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say this... most people get upset at their LFS but a lot of the problem are people who don't support them and continue to buy online. Think about all the business you give online vs what you could be pouring into the LFS. I get it, not everyone lives near a LFS or maybe some of the stores are crappy per say. Most of the LFS don't want to invest in thousands of $$$ in dry goods that may or may not sell because people continue to buy online instead of getting it local. I say spend time to get to know your owners and instead ask them if they can get you what you need. I know you may not have it in 2 days or quicker via Amazon Prime, but you are buying it locally. Most of your LFS will do their best at price matching if you talk to them. As far as fish prices they are continuing to go up via covid and unless they are ordering high qty the prices will be high. The longer an LFS holds onto a fish in stock their profit margin goes down. Again, talk to your LFS and see if they can price match or come down a little in their price to make it worth it. Remember if you are buying a fish online at a great price you don't know what health it is in, or if it will make it. At least at the price you are paying locally you can actually see the fish, if it's eating, how healthy it is, and etc. I talk to my LFS and tell him what I want, what I'm looking for and he orders it if he can. If he can't get it, then he will tell me to just order it online. There has been one occasion where he could get the product, but the price on it was sooo much cheaper online that he told me he couldn't even come close to matching it. He said get it online. Things to remember though..... when it's 8PM and you have a disaster like a tank leak or something else, will your online store be there to help you in the emergency?? I know my LFS will be there and open the door after hours when if need him to.

Bravo my man, Bravo!
Being the LFS guy, I always want to ask people how Amazon is at identifying fish or coral parasites. I watch customers looking at dry good products and checking back and forth on their phones. We sell for the same price as BRS, but todays consumers are just trained to have it sitting on their door step rather than purchasing in person.

Acanking2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in Orlando we have the best LFStores around. I don’t think I’ve ever left TSA or WWC disappointed. If I need something they will order it and if I want something they will cut it. These guys are top notch. I/We feel very spoiled in Orlando. We at least I hope I speak for the rest. Just the way I feel!!! :D
WWC is a amazing place haven’t ever been in person but I order online all the time

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What are the most disappointing aspects that make a local fish store bad or makes you leave disappointed? (no names please)
I really only go to a single LFS any more, and they rarely disappoint. If they do, it's because they don't have something in stock like macro algae or specific live or frozen foods. In general I leave a store disappointed if I see shoddy conditions in the tanks. I won't spend my money in a shop where the employees care less about their livestock than I do about mine.

2. Do you have an amazing LFS near you and if so why are they great?
Absolutely! My go to LFS in the area, Sharp's Aquatic is amazing. They may not have a massive selection of coral and fish like some other shops, but the owners run the place with genuine care and integrity. They're in it for the love of the hobby and not to make a pile of cash. Several times I've picked up things there for way less than other vendors, and when I ask what's up with the low price I get a response like "we got a great deal on it, and we wanted to pass along the savings to the customers". Beyond that they have never given me poor advice or tried to sell me something I shouldn't buy. Being only 20 minutes away is a plus, and they also will try and special order anything I'm after.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in Orlando we have the best LFStores around. I don’t think I’ve ever left TSA or WWC disappointed. If I need something they will order it and if I want something they will cut it. These guys are top notch. I/We feel very spoiled in Orlando. We at least I hope I speak for the rest. Just the way I feel!!! :D
I guess as long as you’re willing to pay, they are there for you.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are lucky in the GTA, Ontario Canada to have a chain of LFS, 5 within 40 minutes.
Three of those stores exceed 25 years, same management.
Every month, I go shopping at all 5, can’t remember being being disappointed.
Great crew.
3-5” Dersa, Sqammy, Crocea, and Maxima, less than $150 bucks, or $130 US.
Strict quarantine procedures.
Also has an online delivery for hard goods.

09B800D3-C7E4-4521-BEE3-3FA100CDE1A1.jpeg

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sir, live in Virginia and it’s pretty much over priced and the fish are either sick or almost gone.​
Coral, more over priced then you could imagine. You could pay $100 for a common zoa.....​
And don’t even get me started if they sell puppies there..... saw a puppy for $7k and just laughed.​
I am in the dmv area and went to a store in VA. A normal clown fish for $30 and I don’t even want to go deeper to other stuffs. There’s another store selling a coral banded shrimp like $20 before the pandemic where else where going for $10. If you’re in the dmv areas, you know which stores I am talking about.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess as long as you’re willing to pay, they are there for you.
A lot cheaper in store than what’s posted online. Plus when your a regular and your in good you get even more of a discount. So yea I guess I am willing to pay!

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot cheaper in store than what’s posted online. Plus when your a regular and your in good you get even more of a discount. So yea I guess I am willing to pay!
So I guess I was a tourist there last year in FL and the gsp frag was $29.99. So locals get a special pricing?

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I guess I was a tourist there last year in FL and the gsp frag was $29.99. So locals get a special pricing?
I wouldn’t say locals get special pricing but I think what you saw might have been a mistake because most gsp in the stores is in the $5-10 group. Never seen it $30 before that’s crazy, unless it was a massive piece I suppose.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t say locals get special pricing but I think what you saw might have been a mistake because most gsp in the stores is in the $5-10 group. Never seen it $30 before that’s crazy, unless it was a massive piece I suppose.
10000% not a mistake. I wasn’t going to say but it was at WWC so you go figure

johnnyblazead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in New Hampshire there’s nothing I have to drive a minimum of one hour each way to get RODI water and decent but pricey corals/frags. Sucks. I have ordered online and had great luck and quality but hate to pay $40-$50 for shipping.
I live in New Hampshire as well, I have to drive at least that to get to the nearest store. I have only been doing this for a short time so I still don’t know all the good places to shop. I tend to shop online but I hate it. Maybe you could point me to a few decent stores to check out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back