Do you need to glue dry rock together?

wtusa1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it necessary to glue it together or can you just place the rocks to where they can’t fall and are stable?

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually just fit the rocks together to where they are stable, but gluing them isn’t an issue either.

mrk1720

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would you say I need to?

Depends on the look you want or how stable you want it. If you plan on making tall or elaborate structures, I'd say yes IMO.

But if you can stack and it's stable you don't usually have to. Just know that sand sifters, diggers and some snails can cause collapses if you aren't careful. You can glue some. And not glue some.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would you say I need to?
I would say depends entirely on your structure. If its stable and sturdy you don't need to glue it. But if you have an aquascape that can be knocked off easily when you put your hands in the tank, or toppled by big snails or conches going in the cracks or something like that I would glue them. Last thing you want is a rock falling and cracking your glass. In my tank I glued some and just placed some others.

OP
OP
wtusa1783

wtusa1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say depends entirely on your structure. If its stable and sturdy you don't need to glue it. But if you have an aquascape that can be knocked off easily when you put your hands in the tank, or toppled by big snails or conches going in the cracks or something like that I would glue them. Last thing you want is a rock falling and cracking your glass. In my tank I glued some and just placed some others.
Ok. Maybe I’ll only glue the ones that I’m worried about

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without gluing or drilling them and inserting rods, you're more than likely going to end up with not much more than piles of rocks. Other wise, stuff may get knocked over, but that really depends on your livestock. If your're going to keep corals, nems and a couple of clowns, you'll probably be fine. Some other fish want to rearrange everything.

mrk1720

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I glued the new piece I added because I wanted a stable arch. I also glued (cemented) the arch structure on the right. The rest are just stacked a bit.

20200925_114216.jpg

NanoReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watchman gobies prefer to stay on an open sand bed, and starry blennies like to perch on rocks. You could take those needs into consideration when creating your rock structure.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think better than glue, unless it is needed for the aquascape desired is to use plexi rods. I drilled 1/2" holes in my rock and purchased clear plexi rods from Amazon. Cut them into 3-4" long pieces Nd used them to hold the rock together. This way it is stable, and removable if needed.

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Need* to is a bit strong, but is recommended for some species. I glued mine because I'd like to get a tuxedo urchin, and urchins like to wedge themselves into the crevices, which could topple a structure that otherwise would be fine. If you have critters that live within the rocks, I'd suggest securing them either with glue/epoxy, or via rods or another artificial stability enhancer.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watchman gobies prefer to stay on an open sand bed, and starry blennies like to perch on rocks. You could take those needs into consideration when creating your rock structure.
My watchman goby burrowed almost all the sand out from under one of my largest rock structures and barely leaves. He is on a sandbed, but it's a very shallow sandbed he made for himself by rearranging my work. Different fish have different behaviors, even in the same species, but I think it's safe to say most gobies are going to move a significant amount of sand around. So I just wouldn't rely on sand to hold rocks in place.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The short answer is no, you absolutely do not NEED to glue your rocks. You need to make sure they're stable. Some people have no problem doing this without cementing their rocks together.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 100 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back