Do you pass on the savings to your fellow reefers?

Do you pass on the savings to your fellow reefers?

• Yes

Votes: 52 75.4%
  • No

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Depends on the Coral

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my question is do you pass on the savings to your fellow reefers?

So back in the day, before things had individualized cartoon names, it was common to meet with your local reefers and get some amazing deals. Nowadays, while it’s there, it seems that has significantly faded and most are out there to get the same or close to retail. (I’m not complaining about pricing, I already had my thread on that).

My basis for this question is say you win a free coral pack in a live sale and it has XYZ named corals or you get that $200 frag for $10, or even a local reefer gifted you a coral. Do you pass said savings on to fellow reefers when you frag those? So even though that 1/2 inch frag is worth (insert whatever price here), since you got a deal on it, do you sell it to fellow reefers near your discounted price or closer to retail?

I’m in the boat of I’ll pass on a similar or equal deal to a fellow reefer, a name is a name but I’m not in the business to make money.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it depends. If it’s a new reefer starting out, absolutely. Fellow collector or someone I know, again - definitely. But if it’s someone just looking for a cheap frag they can grow just to frag and sell - nope.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree that some people do take advantage. I don’t let it get to me. I will say I’ve had some amazing reefers locally. Got a 6+ head hammer that the guy was just giving away. If I ever frag it, I’ll do the same. Some of my new BTAs, I’ll gladly give a fair deal on as I got a fair deal on them. My GSP and Xenia…want a frag? It’s yours.

I mean I get it, sure it’s a little upsetting but as long as it’s going somewhere, hopefully a good tank, then I’m good regardless of what the person does with it

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not anywhere near fragging yet, but I plan to do giveaways and good deals. I got my first RBTA as a freebie. When/if my current BTA splits, the first one is free to good home. Afterwards, for a good deal to help with restocking costs. I have a gorgeous hammer that I got locally for $30 that is splitting. No idea how to frag it, but when I do, the heads are going for $30 or less. Good to show new reefers that they don't have to use up their entire paychecks for decent coral/inverts.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not anywhere near fragging yet, but I plan to do giveaways and good deals. I got my first RBTA as a freebie. When/if my current BTA splits, the first one is free to good home. Afterwards, for a good deal to help with restocking costs. I have a gorgeous hammer that I got locally for $30 that is splitting. No idea how to frag it, but when I do, the heads are going for $30 or less. Good to show new reefers that they don't have to use up their entire paychecks for decent coral/inverts.
That’s definitely a fair way to look at it

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I will do deals on most things. As of now I only have lps and some softies when I frag I either try to sell for $5-10 or trade into local lfs.

If I had tougher to grow sps I would probably meet in the middle. Say I got a nice coral for $50 might sell a frag for $25 not looking to get rich here but would love to find the hobby too. There might be plans later in life to do more of a retail/home shop which will be decently priced but will need to pay for itself.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, called it a Reefers Special. If I can’t use it and someone else can, it sells cheap, I make sure to cover shipping fees.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also text the one person I know locally and ask him if he can find a good home for coral or fish. Has his own business taking care of tanks. It’s all free.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting responses so far. I have no issue with trades either

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have explained my answer better. I have started multiple people off in the hobby from having nothing to owning a thriving reef tank. In the past when I am upgrading my equipment for example I have given my existing equipment to these people completely free only to meet them a week later with the latest iPhone and their tank is lit by candlelight…(exaggerating obviously) I just find that a bit off. One person in particular has done this often enough now I have stopped giving them items.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my little town, it's me and one other that I'm actually mentoring in reefing. My trimmings go in the garbage(actually I chuck the pieces in the woods adjacent to my house) since I have no place to go with them(closets LFS is a 2 1/2 hour drive one way).

I have been given many a great deal over the years, I always pass it on. I don't think I have ever charged a single person for a frag from my system. Since I live in the sticks, if someone asks me, I will gladly give a frag/frags away for the cost of gas money to drive here.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, but.....

When i was quiting, rather pausing hobby, years ago, i sell everything following principle "give me what u think is fair", or i sell 10-15 head euphilias for a price of a single head, rock with 20 ricordeas for 5$ and similar, always with gift - corals that really dont have sale value - gsp, xenia, plain mushrooms ,gorgonia, kenya etc....

Now, when reentering the hobby, i pay full price..... ;) And not in store, from "local" hobbysts, they price is based on store, maybe bit cheaper....so, if one head of euphilia is 70$, price is the same, or in best case, its 65,99 ;)

Mainly to the fact that we dont have store that regular offer such things, so private sellers are only way to have anything. And international orders, where postage alone costs as full bucket of frags......

So from one side, i get it, someone invested a lot of money for a single frag (mainly to postage, but still), and when time comes, he want some of that money back, really cant blaim them.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely agree. I can’t blame a hobbyist trying to break even.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my question is do you pass on the savings to your fellow reefers?

So back in the day, before things had individualized cartoon names, it was common to meet with your local reefers and get some amazing deals. Nowadays, while it’s there, it seems that has significantly faded and most are out there to get the same or close to retail. (I’m not complaining about pricing, I already had my thread on that).

My basis for this question is say you win a free coral pack in a live sale and it has XYZ named corals or you get that $200 frag for $10, or even a local reefer gifted you a coral. Do you pass said savings on to fellow reefers when you frag those? So even though that 1/2 inch frag is worth (insert whatever price here), since you got a deal on it, do you sell it to fellow reefers near your discounted price or closer to retail?

I’m in the boat of I’ll pass on a similar or equal deal to a fellow reefer, a name is a name but I’m not in the business to make money.
I always always tell people;
I'm in it for the hobby, not for the money.

I go to my meetings at ctars here in Connecticut. I donate for the raffels, I have given away frags to new members, given cheato to complete strangers. Sold frags cheap just so I can save up to get a piece of new or used equipment.
I do this only to keep this hobby going, to get new people to stay in the hobby.
The other thing is trading, trade coral with others. If something happens to your tank... Maybe you can get back that piece you lost.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back