Do you pass on the savings to your fellow reefers?

Do you pass on the savings to your fellow reefers?

• Yes

Votes: 52 75.4%
  • No

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Depends on the Coral

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sell quite a bit of coral locally. If it is a friend i often sell very cheap relative to my cost. In some cases i may buy wholesale and sell for just a bit over my cost+shipping. However when i see that guy the next day selling that same coral for 2x or 3x what i charged him then the good deals stop.

If it is not a friend i still sell at what i think is a fair price. However i have found that especially on the named stuff if the price is too good there are some people who just wont want it. Still a lot of people who think that the pandora palys sold by a big vendor at a live sale for $25(thats the 50% off price lol) are somehow better quality than the ones a hobbyist sells for $5(or gives away). Or a nice acro for $40-$50/frag is somehow inferior to xyz vendor selling an identical looking one of the same name but a smaller frag for $150. Those people actually annoy me as much as the ones who always want to bargain down on an already good price.

Sharkbait1971

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give a lot of frags away as many of my colonies get out of control. Some of the slower growing corals that I do have I only frag when someone wants a frag and if I sell it it’s at 1/2 the price of what I purchased it for. I believe in sharing this great hobby with others and the beauty that is created by sharing these corals is always appreciated by others.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sell quite a bit of coral locally. If it is a friend i often sell very cheap relative to my cost. In some cases i may buy wholesale and sell for just a bit over my cost+shipping. However when i see that guy the next day selling that same coral for 2x or 3x what i charged him then the good deals stop.

If it is not a friend i still sell at what i think is a fair price. However i have found that especially on the named stuff if the price is too good there are some people who just wont want it. Still a lot of people who think that the pandora palys sold by a big vendor at a live sale for $25(thats the 50% off price lol) are somehow better quality than the ones a hobbyist sells for $5(or gives away). Or a nice acro for $40-$50/frag is somehow inferior to xyz vendor selling an identical looking one of the same name but a smaller frag for $150. Those people actually annoy me as much as the ones who always want to bargain down on an already good price.
I agree with your viewpoint on the vendor issue. Although I think many newer hobbyists are used to the expensive price and expect it from hobbyists too and think hey they’re just putting a name to it but it’s not really that so that’s why it’s so cheap

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back