Do you Preferred to use on your system bio-balls or sleeve sock?

Do you still have a Bio Ball filtration system?

• Thinking in Change it Back.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I have a question to you all, I been in this hobby for few years already, I must say that I enjoyed very much, I have deal with different equipment's and changing slowly into a more sophisticated or updated systems with the goal of keep my reef safe and everything running and working fine.

Recently I went to a big loss and my mind went back to the beginning when I start this hobby, not to forgot that the first water was mix by myself without known nothing about this hobby, I seat down to read and explore options and what I really needed to start my dream of a life time a Reef aquarium with corals and exotic fishes of so many different colors, it was a success, My first tank was a 40 gallon tank hexagon in the front and few corals which add couple weeks later my first nemo fish and the first 2 damsels, by the time I did all this my tank was already cycling for 2 months, it was so hilarious to see that I did it on my own and alone, I even bought a sump and overflow box and I was very lucky on it.
I move into later a 60 gallon tank and of course it has happen to all of us we want to move into a bigger tank or that has other features so I move into a 75 gallon, corals and fishes was doing great and my tank start to looks even better Coraline was growing on my tank, my starfish seen to reproduce, I start to see little starfishes everywhere .. (wow let me take a good deep breath guys after loosing so much in the last couple days it's not easy to remember old times when things was better, lol) any ways things was great, very good of course by then I join the Reef2Reef forums and start to read and ask questions when I was concern about something or make sure it was ok, the next tank was another 75 gallons but this time it was drilled already so I disconnect my hanging overflow wow it was good I was having my first used drill tank that I get very cheap, things was even better then.. down the line after a while i decide to change my system and remove the Bio- Balls filter and change it for the sleeve or socks one which I thought that it was working well until... i start to se a change on my corals, they stop growing and not feeling to happy, ammonia at times was a touch elevated not big deal and I took care with the frequent water changes, Everything start to go downhill and I was able to nomalized things on the tank again at least I wasn't loosing more corals or not spikes on the parameters of the tank, I decide again to upgrade this time I got a 92 gallon corner bowfront tank I presently have, I was so amaze at the deal I got it (price) plus dry rock and even sand (of course I did not use the sand) I was afraid of bring any pest into my tank, the rock was petty much dry already, again things runs pretty good for the space of at least 2 years between adjusting PH, nitrates, the 2 main pain in the neck but notice loosing more corals, at some point I wanted to go into Bio- Balls again as I was thinking somehow my old pump was a champion doing it's job, so as many of you already know, I lost all my fishes this time fighting an unknow issue that I have decide to take matters on my hand and follow my instinct, I', changing back to Bio balls filtration.
I don't known if any other member has experience the same when did the change into the sleeve system.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio balls and filter socks server pretty different purposes. Bio balls work well a reducing ammonia and nitrite. They do nothing to remove particulate mater, nitrate or phosphate which filter socks will help control in changed often enough. They should be changed at least weekly, preferably every 4 days.
It sounds like you may need more live rock to help with your ammonia. That or your tank is not fully cycled. Personally I would use filter socks changed every 4 days and add more live rock instead of booballs.

OP
OP
Marie7

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio balls and filter socks server pretty different purposes. Bio balls work well a reducing ammonia and nitrite. They do nothing to remove particulate mater, nitrate or phosphate which filter socks will help control in changed often enough. They should be changed at least weekly, preferably every 4 days.
It sounds like you may need more live rock to help with your ammonia. That or your tank is not fully cycled. Personally I would use filter socks changed every 4 days and add more live rock instead of booballs.
Thanks for your input laverda, my tank is been running for I may say approx. 5 years, it has plenty rocks as you can see the wall runs across all the tank and it is a 92 gallons and a high wall of live rocks, with a pretty good size sump with 2 filter socks an octopus skimmer a piece of crap phosphate reducer or at least is suppose to reduce but did nothing, a good size sponge as part of the sump and it's pump.
1600586472707.png

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you have plenty of rock and not many fish. Perhaps your ammonia test kit is not reading correctly. It is very common for API test kits RO read low amount of ammonia when there is none, if that is what your using.

OP
OP
Marie7

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you have plenty of rock and not many fish. Perhaps your ammonia test kit is not reading correctly. It is very common for API test kits RO read low amount of ammonia when there is none, if that is what your using.
Yes i’m using API Somehow I don’t feel to comfortable with that type

OP
OP
Marie7

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wooww i’m static as the poll answers, It seen like everyone is happy with what they have for filtering, what kind of systems are each of you are running?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a decent test kit if you feel the need to test ammonia. There really should be no need to test it on an established tank.
For filtration, first I use an ATS in my over flow, which feeds two 7" filter socks and my skimmer. Then the water flows into my refugium with more live rock. Finally to the return pump.

OP
OP
Marie7

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a decent test kit if you feel the need to test ammonia. There really should be no need to test it on an established tank.
For filtration, first I use an ATS in my over flow, which feeds two 7" filter socks and my skimmer. Then the water flows into my refugium with more live rock. Finally to the return pump.
I didn’t have no issues with ammonia, again is very minimun the amount considering that i move all subtract under the sand with the water change i did

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprised that after five years there is almost no growth on your rocks.
Growth equals health. I am not sure why your rocks look so bare.

It seen like everyone is happy with what they have for filtering, what kind of systems are each of you are running?
l
I am running a reverse undergravel filter but many years ago I also had bio balls. I am very happy with my system and wouldn't change anything.
Bio balls were a great invention but unfortunately they needed supplimental ways to deal with nitrate.

I would still use them in a small tank for spawning or something like that.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use bio-balls or socks. For filtration, I have a skimmer and a couple of reactors with a small amount of carbon and gfo. Other than that, my sump is empty.

OP
OP
Marie7

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprised that after five years there is almost no growth on your rocks.
Growth equals health. I am not sure why your rocks look so bare.

l
I am running a reverse undergravel filter but many years ago I also had bio balls. I am very happy with my system and wouldn't change anything.
Bio balls were a great invention but unfortunately they needed supplimental ways to deal with nitrate.

I would still use them in a small tank for spawning or something like that.
You talking about my rocks?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I think so.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huhhh? How do that work?

It's essentially the Berlin Method. My rocks/corals filter the water and suck up the Nitrates/Phosphates. I was originally using socks, but stopped a couple years ago because I was frankly just tired of cleaning them and wanted to see if it made a difference. I've found that since then my pod population has taken off and the corals look better than ever. The tank is just as clean and clear as it was with socks.

Yes, the skimmer is the only mechanical filtration other than the 4 Tbsp of carbon I have in a reactor.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's essentially the Berlin Method. My rocks/corals filter the water and suck up the Nitrates/Phosphates. I was originally using socks, but stopped a couple years ago because I was frankly just tired of cleaning them and wanted to see if it made a difference. I've found that since then my pod population has taken off and the corals look better than ever. The tank is just as clean and clear as it was with socks.

Yes, the skimmer is the only mechanical filtration other than the 4 Tbsp of carbon I have in a reactor.
Agree

OP
OP
Marie7

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would love to learn more about that method

Back