Do you quarantine fish after purchasing from online quarantine vendors?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read this. Seems to be what I’d do in my own system.

Awesome! I'm a little leery of fish suppliers that claim to "quarantine" their fish. Some of them mean they observe them in their regular tanks for a couple of weeks and if they don't die they sell them. :D

Their QT protocol is legit.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I'm a little leery of fish suppliers that claim to "quarantine" their fish. Some of them mean they observe them in their regular tanks for a couple of weeks and if they don't die they sell them. :D

Their QT protocol is legit.
As I said, similar to what I’d in my qt

Krw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I am curious to see what people do if they're buying (spending premium) on already quarantined fish. I know there are a few online options out there that sell quarantined fish at a premium and all you have to do realistically is acclimate them to your tank and put them in.

I am wondering, because I just placed my first order on TSM today (some preordered fish) they had and was wondering if I should QT them for a week or so or if I could really just acclimate and put in my DT. I do QT all my fish, corals, and inverts but getting tired of it and all the tanks so I read a lot about vendors who do it online, so I wanted to give TSM a try (heard awesome things).

Thanks!
Went through many fish trying to quarantine from LFS purchased fish from TSM floated bags for temp. 6 fish later after 6 months no issues. Healthy fish eating well on day one. If nervous observe for two weeks in a tank. You don’t need to medicate these fish again.

BryanJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never qt fish anymore. I go to the LFS and watch them for 15 minutes if no scratching is going on I buy them and put them straight in the display tank. I also always have cleaner shrimp in the tank to take care of business if they do develop ich. I know this is not bulletproof but I’ve found over the years that the LFS is the most important part of the equation. Some places seem to medicate tanks so heavily they don’t make it when you get them home and you just wasted your money. other places are a guaranteed success as long as they look good and are actively swimming. The biggest danger is the other fish in your tank if they don’t like their new tank mate it’s dead in 24 hours because they have chased it to death or bit it’s tail off. If that happens I stop buying fish. I run multiple tanks on one system and I isolate the fish I believe are bullies to the sump room which is a functioning 120 and my display is a 150. Also moving the bully to another tank seems to take care of the attitude problem. I’m also going to add that I have a pair of 17 year old maroon clowns as my oldest fish.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I am curious to see what people do if they're buying (spending premium) on already quarantined fish. I know there are a few online options out there that sell quarantined fish at a premium and all you have to do realistically is acclimate them to your tank and put them in.

I am wondering, because I just placed my first order on TSM today (some preordered fish) they had and was wondering if I should QT them for a week or so or if I could really just acclimate and put in my DT. I do QT all my fish, corals, and inverts but getting tired of it and all the tanks so I read a lot about vendors who do it online, so I wanted to give TSM a try (heard awesome things).

Thanks!

I would consider it with any other vendor than TSM. Matt and the crew over at TSM are the best in the business.

Fortunately, I live close enough that i can drive over and pick my fish up. But if i wasn't, i would still order from them. I have bought all of my fish from TSM without any issue.

These fish have not only gone thru a complete quarantine, they are also eating--like pigs. Do what you think is best for you. Nothing in life is 100% guaranteed, but they come the closest.

I'm not affiliated with TSM in any way and I will receive no commission whether u buy from them or not. GL

OP
OP
biggie4jets

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went through many fish trying to quarantine from LFS purchased fish from TSM floated bags for temp. 6 fish later after 6 months no issues. Healthy fish eating well on day one. If nervous observe for two weeks in a tank. You don’t need to medicate these fish again.
Awesome, that’s what I like to hear. Jsut so over having 3 extras tanks for fish, corals, inverts haha. Appreciate it!

OP
OP
biggie4jets

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider it with any other vendor than TSM. Matt and the crew over at TSM are the best in the business.

Fortunately, I live close enough that i can drive over and pick my fish up. But if i wasn't, i would still order from them. I have bought all of my fish from TSM without any issue.

These fish have not only gone thru a complete quarantine, they are also eating--like pigs. Do what you think is best for you. Nothing in life is 100% guaranteed, but they come the closest.

I'm not affiliated with TSM in any way and I will receive no commission whether u buy from them or not. GL
Thanks for the info! Ya NJ isn’t too far from me in NY but I have heard a lot of great reviews about them lately. That was the main reason why I decided to pace my first order on some preordered fish. Like previously mentioned, I’m just sick of having so many extra tanks for QT. I rather just put that extra 20,30,40 bucks for already QT fish. Well worth it in the end for me.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! Ya NJ isn’t too far from me in NY but I have heard a lot of great reviews about them lately. That was the main reason why I decided to pace my first order on some preordered fish. Like previously mentioned, I’m just sick of having so many extra tanks for QT. I rather just put that extra 20,30,40 bucks for already QT fish. Well worth it in the end for me.

When things open up again in NJ, u should take a trip to their facility. Really nice place... including those who work there.

When it comes to quarantining--this is their job. For most of us this is a hobby.

They also condition these fish to accept prepared food. When i first asked what the fish i was picking up was eating, they told me anything that hits the water.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantining can be very stressful but sometimes necessary. I only buy from TSM (upon receipt, acclimate and put directly into DT) since TSM has a rigorous quarantine procedure in excess of what I could do and they make sure the fish are eating. Otherwise I buy from Divers Den but will use Safety Stop before placing into the DT. Divers Den does a good job at observing and medicating as needed. If I purchase from the LFS, a strict quarantine procedure is followed using Hybrid TTM.

I hope this helps. Best to you.

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I never qt fish anymore. I go to the LFS and watch them for 15 minutes if no scratching is going on I buy them and put them straight in the display tank. I also always have cleaner shrimp in the tank to take care of business if they do develop ich. I know this is not bulletproof but I’ve found over the years that the LFS is the most important part of the equation. Some places seem to medicate tanks so heavily they don’t make it when you get them home and you just wasted your money. other places are a guaranteed success as long as they look good and are actively swimming. The biggest danger is the other fish in your tank if they don’t like their new tank mate it’s dead in 24 hours because they have chased it to death or bit it’s tail off. If that happens I stop buying fish. I run multiple tanks on one system and I isolate the fish I believe are bullies to the sump room which is a functioning 120 and my display is a 150. Also moving the bully to another tank seems to take care of the attitude problem. I’m also going to add that I have a pair of 17 year old maroon clowns as my oldest fish.

Cleaner shrimp do not eat ich.

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TSM is my LFS. Only a 15 min ride from me. Seeing everything they do behind the scenes puts my mind at ease. I will only ever buy fish from them and I have not had one issue with any of their fish I have bought from them.

Minimum 30 day QT and they eat everything offered. I always put new additions in an acclimation box with a piece of LR and a pvc elbow just to let them settle in and eat. Every fish I have bought from them has started eating in the acclimation box in less than 12 hours.

You can really tell the difference between tsm and other vendors fish. TSM fish act like they have been in captivity since day one.

OP
OP
biggie4jets

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When things open up again in NJ, u should take a trip to their facility. Really nice place... including those who work there.

When it comes to quarantining--this is their job. For most of us this is a hobby.

They also condition these fish to accept prepared food. When i first asked what the fish i was picking up was eating, they told me anything that hits the water.
Sure will! Appreciate all the info!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two wrasses from TSM coming this week. I will observe them for a couple of weeks...not that I have concern about disease, their protocol is solid. I like to use that time to get the fish fat, accustomed to looking at me as something good (food) and ready to compete in the big tank.

BryanJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimp do not eat ich.
Ich is a parasite and according to live aquaria cleaner shrimp eat parasites

Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis) acts like the medic of any saltwater aquarium. In fact, this active cleaner will set up shop on live rock or coral outcroppings and wait for fish to come and be cleaned of ectoparasites or dead tissue. Many fish value its services so highly that they even allow the Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp to clean inside of their mouths without harming the shrimp. No matter how your fish use the Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp's services, it is easy to see why this peaceful creature is so popular amongst home aquarists.
The Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp is also known as the Red Skunk Cleaner Shrimp because of the distinct pair of bright red stripes that outline the single white stripe running down its back. The Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp is often found in groups amongst live rock or coral. In the home aquarium, the Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp requires a similar habitat and peaceful tankmates. Some fish, such as Hawkfish and Lionfish or predatory shrimp or crabs may see this member of the Hippolytidae family as food.

Like other invertebrates, the Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp is intolerant of copper-based medications, high nitrate levels, and fluctuating water parameters. The Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp needs to be drip acclimated prior to introducing to your main system. Also, proper iodine supplementation is necessary to promote molting and growth. To supplement their diet, feed Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp freeze dried, frozen, and flake foods.

The Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp L. amboinensis is also called the Indo-Pacific White-Banded Cleaner Shrimp, Indo-Pacific White-Striped Cleaner Shrimp, Skunk Cleaner Shrimp or the Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp.

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Thanks!
Yes just for observation! Too much invested to take a chance!!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ich is a parasite and according to live aquaria cleaner shrimp eat parasites

Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis) acts like the medic of any saltwater aquarium. In fact, this active cleaner will set up shop on live rock or coral outcroppings and wait for fish to come and be cleaned of ectoparasites or dead tissue. Many fish value its services so highly that they even allow the Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp to clean inside of their mouths without harming the shrimp. No matter how your fish use the Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp's services, it is easy to see why this peaceful creature is so popular amongst home aquarists.
The Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp is also known as the Red Skunk Cleaner Shrimp because of the distinct pair of bright red stripes that outline the single white stripe running down its back. The Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp is often found in groups amongst live rock or coral. In the home aquarium, the Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp requires a similar habitat and peaceful tankmates. Some fish, such as Hawkfish and Lionfish or predatory shrimp or crabs may see this member of the Hippolytidae family as food.

Like other invertebrates, the Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp is intolerant of copper-based medications, high nitrate levels, and fluctuating water parameters. The Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp needs to be drip acclimated prior to introducing to your main system. Also, proper iodine supplementation is necessary to promote molting and growth. To supplement their diet, feed Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp freeze dried, frozen, and flake foods.

The Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp L. amboinensis is also called the Indo-Pacific White-Banded Cleaner Shrimp, Indo-Pacific White-Striped Cleaner Shrimp, Skunk Cleaner Shrimp or the Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp.

Parasite is a broad term. There are internal parasites, can they remove them? Of coarse not. A quick search will give you the answer to why they cant remove ich.

Last edited:

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Thanks!
No but I wish I would have from the getgo! When I buy fish again from any lfs I'm gonna just assume that they have ich/parasites. My fish will do some type of treatment before going into the tank. I prefer natural remedies before chemical ones.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back