Do you quarantine fish after purchasing from online quarantine vendors?

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read and reread that paper. It sure offers some tantalizing data. Trouble is, we know that casual use of cleaner shrimp in aquariums do not control Cryptocaryon or flukes. The fish posture for the cleaners and it gives us a warm fuzzy feeling to see them at work, but the diseases still progress.
Jay
I wonder what would happen if one were to use peppermint shrimp with a similar mindset to that with using cleaning crews to help keep unwanted algae at bay. Instead of so many snails/crabs per gallon, some number of peppermint shrimp per inch of fish. Hypothetically, if cost and shrimp predators were out of the equation, might there be some number of cleaner shrimp that could actually keep ich at bay in an aquarium?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what would happen if one were to use peppermint shrimp with a similar mindset to that with using cleaning crews to help keep unwanted algae at bay. Instead of so many snails/crabs per gallon, some number of peppermint shrimp per inch of fish. Hypothetically, if cost and shrimp predators were out of the equation, might there be some number of cleaner shrimp that could actually keep ich at bay in an aquarium?
Probably - but most people just add a shrimp and call it good, but it isn’t (grin).
Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Probably - but most people just add a shrimp and call it good, but it isn’t (grin).
Jay
My question is a little different - since there are many fish that with (or without) shrimp - recover from CI, is it possible that shrimp can prevent or help prevent CI as compared to curing it after its visible?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is a little different - since there are many fish that with (or without) shrimp - recover from CI, is it possible that shrimp can prevent or help prevent CI as compared to curing it after its visible?
I guess I wouldn't say "many fish recover from Cryptocaryon". In light infections, it can be managed, but without treatment, moderate infections are 100% fatal. Moderate is a subjective term, but I'm talking 50 to 100 Trophonts at one time. In 50+ years, I've never seen a fish come back from that point without treatment.

Small fish are simply not going to let a shrimp clean their gills - so any trophonts there are going to be unaffected.

After reading the paper a couple / three times over the past few years, I do see there could be some benefit in controlling Neobenedenia, as the shrimp seem to eat the eggs pretty well. Shrimp combined with multiple prazi treatments ought to have pretty good control.

Jay

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what TSM's quarantine process is?
Been trying to pry out details from Tsm. Treat for anything visual and they treat for all parisites but don’t have details. They do examine scraping under a microscope but sounds like they only do that if needed. All fish I got seem to be six weeks before ready from them receiving. All fish eat anything and water is kept at 1.025-1.026. If fish survive Tsm qt it’s a durable fish. Qt tanks only have pvc even sand sleeping wrasse.
Tsm won’t sell a fish that is iffy for any reason.
They wanted to Unbag a fish with a little tail fin damage where someone took a nibble. I said it’s fine since it would grow back fast and they really seemed uneasy about the decision

The owner is the only person that takes care of the fish to limit mistakes.

Last edited:

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been trying to pry out details from Tsm. Treat for anything visual and they treat for all parisites but don’t have details. They do examine scraping under a microscope but sounds like they only do that if needed. All fish I got seem to be six weeks before ready from them receiving. All fish eat anything and water is kept at 1.025-1.026. If fish survive Tsm qt it’s a durable fish. Qt tanks only have pvc even sand sleeping wrasse.
Tsm won’t sell a fish that is iffy for any reason.
They wanted to Unbag a fish with a little tail fin damage where someone took a nibble. I said it’s fine since it would grow back fast and they really seemed uneasy about the decision

The owner is the only person that takes care of the fish to limit mistakes.

Did you see this? Describes their QT in good detail. Minimum 30 days in therapeutic copper. I'm a fan.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see this? Describes their QT in good detail. Minimum 30 days in therapeutic copper. I'm a fan.

I did not. Anything can happen as far as transfer of parasites but they take it serious and care a lot. . Goal is healthy fish with easy acclimation to your tank and eating. He has kept fish longer to make sure it was ready. Can’t ask for anything more.
Some times you pay for the service dearly and sometimes not. For me I’ll pay for fragile/rare wrasse it just means I need to find side work

also I had to go back following weekend for fish because it was a few days short of finishing qt. He is strict.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not. Anything can happen as far as transfer of parasites but they take it serious and care a lot. . Goal is healthy fish with easy acclimation to your tank and eating. He has kept fish longer to make sure it was ready. Can’t ask for anything more.
Some times you pay for the service dearly and sometimes not. For me I’ll pay for fragile/rare wrasse it just means I need to find side work

also I had to go back following weekend for fish because it was a few days short of finishing qt. He is strict.

I have a C. bathyphilus and P. lineopunctatus in my observation tank from TSM right now...just fattening them up and getting them used to me before putting them in the DT. :D

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I knew a supplier was keeping their fish routinely at 1.017 (or less) I would not buy from that supplier. I do not (think) - the major suppliers do this. -and since most reef tanks are between 1.024 and 1.026 - I would go with what the supplier says - which is usually drip acclimate.
PM me the vendors that ship at 1.024 or higher! My fish seem to be coming in at lower and lower SG. I'll still QT them for observation but will hopefully get better results.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PM me the vendors that ship at 1.024 or higher! My fish seem to be coming in at lower and lower SG. I'll still QT them for observation but will hopefully get better results.

My TSM fish came at 1.026 on the nose.

My new guys from TSM.

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like TSM is solid. Stupid price to pay for a Kole tang, but if I can acclimate and drop - bonus. I’m at 35PPT salinity so sounds easy. 1BDBAAF7-CA21-499B-83CC-C82B4BC41328.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Um.... Several people have mentioned vendors that ship at that level. I have never acclimated online fish for 3 or 4 days (granted - the last time I bought a fish online was a long time ago) - so - my guess is that they do not gradually increase salinity over days. Every vendor I've used recommends a couple hours of acclimation. If - using a drip method. I believe that fish directly from overseas are sent in lower salinity. I believe I also mentioned - I would not buy fish from those vendors - for the same reason I wouldn't buy a coral that had just been taken out of the ocean.

But - since you asked - From DiversDen: "As previously mentioned, the fish are then acclimated from our quarantine system to our main fish system with a specific gravity of 1.025. Employing the drip acclimation method further reduces any potential fish stress. The fish are photographed only when they have settled into their new environment in the main fish holding system. By the time the images are loaded onto the Diver's Den® WYSIWYG Store section and offered for sale, these marine fish have passed a strict quarantine, treatment, and acclimation procedure. When you select these exquisite specimens from the Diver's Den® WYSIWYG Store, you are receiving the healthiest marine fish available anywhere."

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Chelmon Marginalis (avatar pic) and Algae Blenny come from TSM and they literally ship them in a toddler sized box. Never seen anything like it, they ship them with so much water its like a nano aquarium. My fish when they arrived looked at us "Are you gonna put me in your tank or what?" kind of attitude and I was stoked. By far the healthiest and happiest fish I have ever ordered online, 10/10 would recommend. The Butterfly even LETS ME PET HIM while he eats masstick off the glass, its insane. Love him.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 71 42.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back