Do you "reef tank" your friends and family?

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, when you're talking to your spouse/co-worker/random acquaintance and their eyes start to glaze over and you realize they really don't care about how the peppermint shrimp stole food from the candy cane again or how the GSP is finally starting to take off on the back glass but you keep telling them anyway? :rolleyes:

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most definitely. I'm pretty sure my wife really enjoys the hobby, and that's all I really care about. I think some of my other family is mildly interested but they do seem to lose interest pretty quickly when I start getting too deep into talking about it :)

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my friends and family enjoy the tank and really like the aesthetic, but just like you said, their eyes tend glaze over when I get too far down into the details of running the tank. I typically get my "nerding out" fix with the owner of my LFS when I visit once or twice a month.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before reading your post, my first thought was "I don't think that my friends and family are small enough to fit in my reef tanks, but I could try it out tonight and see".

And then I read your post, and my thought's pretty much stayed the same. :)
They'll fit if you cut off their heads and limbs

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to get my wife into it but she doesn’t share the interest. She’s a good sport tho
Ex wife would scream it's a darn waste of money! I was only into FOWLER tanks at that time! Current girlfriend loves it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, when you're talking to your spouse/co-worker/random acquaintance and their eyes start to glaze over and you realize they really don't care about how the peppermint shrimp stole food from the candy cane again or how the GSP is finally starting to take off on the back glass but you keep telling them anyway? :rolleyes:
While out for drinks with the boys the other night, at the tail end of an easily 20 conversation over nitrates, phosphates, and their relation with algae, one my friends interrupts to mention to my other friend that we had an hour conversation a few nights before over something similar.

the wife makes the effort to check out new stuff I get, however she was not interested in my “hermit crab war” last night that I sprinted into the bedroom while she was putting the kid to asleep to grab my phone and film.

will this stop me from trying? No way

Back