Do you run your powerheads on constant, random, pulse or other?

Do you run your powerheads on constant, random, pulse or other?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run your powerheads on constant, random, pulse or other? Not sure if there’s an “other” but if there is please explain. Lol! Additionally, feel free to give your reasoning behind why you chose your setting, what percentage you run it at and the size of your tank. Be as detailed as you like, I like to read. :)

I personally have a preference for random because I feel like that would be the most ocean-like.

LateStageReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an MP40. I have it on lagoon mode which randomizes flow to be like a low tide reef where the current starts up slowly and vice versa. I have it on the left side of my tank. it goes through about 3.1k gallons of my tank water at 53% power. if I turned the thing up to full blast on constant speed Id have a fish room and not a fish tank.

I actually need a second one (which is coming tomorrow) to help me control these random cyno dead spots that keep telling me get more flow already.

TBH the Voretech line is the only thing I trust in my tank (neros are great too they just are the cheaper purchase if you dont want to spend the extra money)

red sea reefer 425xl show tank

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personal opinion, but I've never seen an advantage to various pulse modes with SPS and consider it a rather superfluous feature.

Directional/static flow is directional/static flow. Randomly power ramping can't fix this. If you can achieve more turbulent flow via power ramping different pumps in different parts of your tank then we have a different matter.

We need pumps that can truly alternate flow direction at specific intervals without being too complex.

Reducing flow at night I do consider potentially beneficial; less stress/injuries to fish, etc.

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use MP40 reefcrest mode. My sps appear to like it as randomly turbulent as possible. I also have a glamorca on random on the other side.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like constant. Starting and stoping, well, that just creates the potential for a dirty head to jam and not start.

I use two heads, pointed at each other to create a chaotic flow. That creates the all the randomness (is that even a word?) I need.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two gyres with one on either side, and I have them set to pulse where they alternate turning on. I like the wave motion that it adds to the water.

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my Nero 3 (in a nuvo 20) set for all modes.

Attachments

• 8CDFE0F8-6423-4D87-A461-EF881B8FF47C.png
    8CDFE0F8-6423-4D87-A461-EF881B8FF47C.png
    253.2 KB · Views: 150

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a powerhead on each side of my 125, and 2 on the back. The ones on the sides are controlled by a wave maker that alternates on-off every minute (one on while the other is off). The ones on the back are controlled by a separate wave maker that alternates on-off at a different rate (can't remember the interval).

Moral of the story is that with the intersecting flows from the back and sides occurring at continually changing times, I get really random flow patterns and some awesome turbulence. It's a pretty low tech setup, but the corals seem to dig it.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personal opinion, but I've never seen an advantage to various pulse modes with SPS and consider it a rather superfluous feature.

Directional/static flow is directional/static flow. Randomly power ramping can't fix this. If you can achieve more turbulent flow via power ramping different pumps in different parts of your tank then we have a different matter.

We need pumps that can truly alternate flow direction at specific intervals without being too complex.

Reducing flow at night I do consider potentially beneficial; less stress/injuries to fish, etc.

I agree with you. I run "reef crest" mode on mine but have never noticed a benefit over just running constant speed. Not sure about reduced flow at night though, I don't see a need personally.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never considered using all modes before. Which modes do you use during the day vs night?

Well, just checking the app,
6am-5pm ----Random min.18 % max. 44% high variance
5pm-6:30pm ----Surge max 45% on 4seconds off 5 seconds
6:30pm-12am ----Constant max 38%
12am-6am ----Constant max 41%

I'd like to say there's some method to my madness here, but in reality I just made it all up ;)

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 120 I have 2 Tunze 6095's on the back wall pointing up and to the middle.
I had 2 Tunze 6105's on each side.
They are 12 years old and run strong but are large.
I replaced them with Jebao's ow 40's awhile back. They are smaller and produce similar flow to the 6105's but have several programs offered.
I run the 6095's on long pulse and the ow 40's on various modes.
I switch them every other day from wave, to pulse, to else.
This gives more random flow where it is not always the same.
So far so good.
I am a Tunze guy all the way but I have to say the ow series are hard to beat for the price.
I ran 2 ow25's in my 120 for a year.
I now run the ow25's in my frag system as well.
Both the ow 25 & 40 are quiet and push alot of water.
I love Tunze powerheads but you can get 4 ow pumps for the price of one compairable Tunze.

I ran the ow 25's in my 120 as a test to see what they would do.
All in all I am quite impressed with them and bought 2 more 40's.

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my Nero 3 (in a nuvo 20) set for all modes.
Aaaah, I have 2 Nero 3s and I have them both on 25-45% with the highest variance all the time. Looking at your diagram makes me want to break up the pattern a bit.

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vortechs running one mode in the day and another at night.
What’s the difference between the mode you run in the day vs at night? What’s the time frame you’re using?

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a powerhead on each side of my 125, and 2 on the back. The ones on the sides are controlled by a wave maker that alternates on-off every minute (one on while the other is off). The ones on the back are controlled by a separate wave maker that alternates on-off at a different rate (can't remember the interval).

Moral of the story is that with the intersecting flows from the back and sides occurring at continually changing times, I get really random flow patterns and some awesome turbulence. It's a pretty low tech setup, but the corals seem to dig it.
That sounds like a really awesome setup!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back