Do you sometimes pour some skimmate back in your tank?

Do you sometimes pour some skimmate back in your tank?

• Yes!

Votes: 58 10.4%
  • No!

Votes: 410 73.3%
  • Ew?

Votes: 91 16.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title, Ive seen YouTube videos and read that sometimes people "accidentally" pour some of their skimmate back in their tank...

Thoughts?
Opinions?

wkd4b11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done it before but I don't make a habit of it. I've even emptied the entire skimmate cup accidentally when my skimmer was overflowing

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, if I feel my nitrates and phosphates are a little low I'll slosh a little back in. Why buy magical cures and dosing additives when you're pouring exactly what you need down the toilet?
same! I sometimes use it to promote polyp extension before feeding.

MichaelClark55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you serious? Like on purpose. The timing of this article is crazy. Just yesterday I noticed the tube that drains from the overflow cup was sitting inside of my refugium section of the sump. No harm with that unless the valve is OPEN! Who does that? So for over a week I was wondering why I was all of sudden getting algae growth and not so clear water anymore. So yeah I dumped skimmate back into tank but for an entire week!

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So easy to see the reactionary headline-reading outrage crew. People see things far too black and white.
The question the OP is asking is not 'do you routinely and systematically empty the entirety of your skimmate volume back into the system'. There are benefits to having small amounts of organics to feed microfauna, and bump nitrate and phoshate levels up when they are low.

Also, relax, it's just organic waste, not cyanide.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So easy to see the reactionary headline-reading outrage crew. People see things far too black and white.
The question the OP is asking is not 'do you routinely and systematically empty the entirety of your skimmate volume back into the system'. There are benefits to having small amounts of organics to feed microfauna, and bump nitrate and phoshate levels up when they are low.

Also, relax, it's just organic waste, not cyanide.
And a lethal amount of arsenic in every cup ;)

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add it to my morning smoothie. I can now say I have become one with my reef.

I usually dump all skimmate, but sometimes if I collect too much with out dumping the cup (I have no overflow hose), some gets back into the system. This is rare but I dont worry about it.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the few times I forget to turn off my skimmer when I turn my return pump off, it cause mine to overflow so I quickly dump the water so I don't cause a mess. I usually keep my collection jar emptied so not too much nasty goes back in.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back