Do you still freak out over 'molts'?

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the SW hobby for a good 17+ years. I'm rather used to all the like-clockwork hermit molts that show up on a weekly basis from some random hermit, but I must confess, with some animals I still get spooked or do a double take.

Just today, I saw one of my two pom-pom crabs, looking pretty good, and then I saw another one sitting nearby, and noticed he was missing his anemones. My immediate reaction was: "Oh nooo, poor guy lost his nems!" Took me a minute until I realized: waaait a minute... the second one is looking awfully pale. And sure enough, it was just a fresh molt!

So how about you guys, do molts still freak you out from time to time? :)

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the SW hobby for a good 17+ years. I'm rather used to all the like-clockwork hermit molts that show up on a weekly basis from some random hermit, but I must confess, with some animals I still get spooked or do a double take.

Just today, I saw one of my two pom-pom crabs, looking pretty good, and then I saw another one sitting nearby, and noticed he was missing his anemones. My immediate reaction was: "Oh nooo, poor guy lost his nems!" Took me a minute until I realized: waaait a minute... the second one is looking awfully pale. And sure enough, it was just a fresh molt!

So how about you guys, do molts still freak you out from time to time? :)
Definitely with the pom pom crabs. They're so small and the molts look exactly like a dead crab. Each time I cringe when I see one. Both of my pom poms have long since lost their nems, so it's even scarier. The shrimp don't bug me, it's pretty clear that the molts are molts.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes! I did today it nearly gave me a heart attack!
C3F0B126-9963-4357-9409-298042D2626D.jpeg

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll never get used to it. Scares the stuff out of me when I come home and see my old skin still in bed.

new media animation GIF by Uwe Heine Debrodt

Hjortsballe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think, I had my hermit crabs for about 3 days, when I saw two of them together and I
though that the one in the shell had pulled another one out and was killing it. So I took a
stick and got them separated, but it just floated around and I thought I lost it.
Later same day I counted 4 hermit in the tank and they were all there. It spooked me
the second time as well, but now they do it at least once a week.
Just got my cleaner shrimp a week ago, so now it waiting for it to spook me too.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think, I had my hermit crabs for about 3 days, when I saw two of them together and I
though that the one in the shell had pulled another one out and was killing it. So I took a
stick and got them separated, but it just floated around and I thought I lost it.
Later same day I counted 4 hermit in the tank and they were all there. It spooked me
the second time as well, but now they do it at least once a week.
Just got my cleaner shrimp a week ago, so now it waiting for it to spook me too.
The cleaner shrimp are the funniest to me as in the flow, the molts look alive sometimes, lol. I'm like, wait where did that extra shrimp come from? LOL. Now my fire shrimp... different story. That guy molts very frequently, and his molts look legit like a solid dead shrimp. You have no idea how many times my husband has texted me while I'm at work, saying sorry but your red shrimp is dead. I'm like dude, look in the tang's cave - you will see his white feelers moving around). :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back