Do you support aquarium supply companies over places like Amazon and should you?

Do you think it's important to support aquarium specific businesses within our industry first?

• YES

Votes: 501 82.5%
  • NO

Votes: 60 9.9%
  • Other

Votes: 46 7.6%

• Total voters

Gonzo74

Nibbling on sponge cake...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do support them for about 90% of my business, however, when I need something ASAP, I will use Amazon Prime over other ridiculous 2 day shipping options.

if aquarium supply companies provided cheaper and expedited shipping, I would not use Amazon at all.

Saltysav96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy from BRS and marine depot a good bit for most things now in this hobby, A BIG factor for me is shipping cost and how quick it will get to me if i need it soon.i have bought aquarium related items before on amazon/ebay. but that is because of shipping or if brs/md doesnt have it, or i am just needing a cheap $15.00 pump to mix water or whatever. for most other things non aquarium related i order from amazon several times a month.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending upon what product I need.
85% of my aquarium supplies come from BRS.
Rest Amazon, as said, they are just middle man on aquarium supplies.

Livestock only from hobbyists and LFS.

weamdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swore off FB about 8yrs ago and Amazon 2 when they moved in state and started throttling non-prime orders plus charging tax. Can't avoid the tax now, but I can order from places like ebay, get free shipping and get my stuff a week quicker. Usually don't buy from them unless it's gonna save me a lot of money and I don't need it right away. For aquarium supplies, I look for good pricing, great support and shipping time. BRS relies a lot on UPS which uses rail alot and can take a couple days longer than others.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Aquarium specialty goods, or basic supplies...

I try to support my Local Fish Stores (the Small guys) as much as possible. Their prices are just as competitive and keeping them in business for Dry Goods, is a way to keep them in business for Fish and Corals (and vise-versa)
I have gotten to know the owners, and the people that work there. They go the extra mile (most of the time)...if not, I move on to another LFS more so.

Amazon (THE GIANT) has it's purpose for things like quick Next Day needs (that LFS don't carry), or a (RARE) risky purchase that may need to be (Evaluated, Seen in Person) and returned (if doesn't work out)...Something the small businesses can't do once seal is broken.

I actually recently ordered stuff from STAPLES, which I didn't think they carry Aquarium stuff but they do quite a bit, at great prices. In between THE GIANT and the LITTLE Guys.

Product Availability/Price/Speed-of-Need/Warranty-Support are factors that determines where I decided to shop.

Oh, of course, as a Canadian, cross border ordering (duty/exchange/customs/delays) is a pain and avoided.

Last edited:

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran into a post on the BRS #AskBRSTV FB page where someone had stated that Amazon was showing aquarium supplies not delivering until April 23rd! Almost a month from now. Granted some people were saying that they were still getting items a couple days after they ordered. I thought about this and thought that it would make a great topic today.

Let me step on my soapbox for a moment if you will. (hmm also it just occurred to me that R2R is kinda in the same boat with competition like FB)

THIS is exactly the reason we need to support companies like Bulk Reef Supply, Aquarium Specialty, Marine Depot, Premium Aquatics, Champion Lighting Supply, SaltwaterAquarium (all R2R sponsors) and our local fish stores more than places like Amazon! I understand why Amazon is doing this but it doesn't mean that hobbyists still don't need their supplies quicker. Supporting companies within our industry will help ensure that we will always be able to get the aquarium supplies we need when we need them.

Do you think it's important to support (to be a customer of) aquarium specific businesses within our industry first? If not then why not?

SUPPORT INDUSTRY.jpg
for my purchasing online i have chosen to NOT do business with Amazon if at all possible. i prefer to visit/use vendors where my business is appreciated. when i do business with someone, i don't need to know about them personally to know if they are ethical and a good trading partner. i can generally let them be who they are. unfortunately Amazon through the media and spokespersons have made a point to explain how they feel about a large percentage of potential customers leaving me with the decision to allow them to operate without me and my dollars. i don't need to know the politics of my lfs to buy from them. BRS, Marine Depot, and others haven't made a point to insult me. i prefer to talk aquariums to those focused on the hobby. thank you.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I "support" BRS quite a bit. I recently bought a dosing pump for my calcium reactor. If I remember correctly, the pump I wanted was $300 from BRS and every other pet supply distributor I checked. I found the same pump for around $200 shipped through Amazon. I bought the pump through Amazon.

I am willing to pay a little more to support local shops because I need them to be around to meet my immediate needs. I'll even spend a little more to support web based distributors that specialize in this hobby just because they understand my needs. That said, I compare prices to keep the distributors honest. If all other things are equal, price will always have to rule when the difference is substantial.

Matt B.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran into a post on the BRS #AskBRSTV FB page where someone had stated that Amazon was showing aquarium supplies not delivering until April 23rd! Almost a month from now. Granted some people were saying that they were still getting items a couple days after they ordered. I thought about this and thought that it would make a great topic today.

Let me step on my soapbox for a moment if you will. (hmm also it just occurred to me that R2R is kinda in the same boat with competition like FB)

THIS is exactly the reason we need to support companies like Bulk Reef Supply, Aquarium Specialty, Marine Depot, Premium Aquatics, Champion Lighting Supply, SaltwaterAquarium (all R2R sponsors) and our local fish stores more than places like Amazon! I understand why Amazon is doing this but it doesn't mean that hobbyists still don't need their supplies quicker. Supporting companies within our industry will help ensure that we will always be able to get the aquarium supplies we need when we need them.

Do you think it's important to support (to be a customer of) aquarium specific businesses within our industry first? If not then why not?

SUPPORT INDUSTRY.jpg

I am all for local stores... Amazon is destroying the industry I am in so I feel it first hand

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! I support our LFSs and use BRS a lot as well (Marine Depot on occasion since GHL is slow as molasses and BRS doesn't carry much from their lineup).

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to shop around for the best price. Company selling it is not at the top of my list. I've ordered from all the big names online. I order from Amazon, brs, and aqua cave all the time.

If I need something now, I'll call the lfs and see what they have before taking the ride there. If they dont have it, I tend to order from Aqua Cave because they are closest to my home and I get stuff the next day.

I will say that the free shipping option from brs shows up 2 days earlier than the priority option that costs $5 and is supposed to show up sooner.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Delivery speed, price, selection, and availability are the factors that influence where I make a purchase. Once you start thinking in terms of ”supporting a business” you lost site of the theme of capitalism. A business does not come online to support a customer but to acquire some of their wealth. Anything that a business does is to further its goal of acquiring wealth. Any other reason given should be taken with a grain of salt, if you even choose to listen to it.

waterskiguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy from my standard bulk reef supply store, but will make an informed purchase on amazon. There are often companies that we frequently use, via their own internet stores, that sell products on amazon. I stay away from anyone on Amazon that doesn't use proper English in their adds. I know that many of my rc hobby parts are sold by the same online stores through amazon. I haven't really tried many reef keeping supplies. I used to order salt, when I used IO, because I never planned ahead enough to know when to order it before I needed it. lol

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a HUGE BRS supporter (they're literally in my backyard) but not because they're local. Yes they're in business to sell us supplies & gear but yet they give back to the community tenfold in advice, their videos, and they listen to US and go back to vendors with our needs & requests. Sure I shop others also Amazon, MD & others but usually because BRS doesn't carry an item I'm after. Very rarely do I find BRS pricing out of line but on the plus side of it - 99% of the time they have what I need, it ships fast and if I have an issue they take care of it immediately. I can't call Amazon with a reef question but BRS always answers the phone.

Just a note of interest - BRS does sell on Amazon but the Amazon "bump" reflects it. It's cheaper to buy directly from BRS (which I believe to be the case with most vendors on Amazon)

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted yes but I do want to add a contingency to this.
Bulk Reef has become a staple in the reefing community, putting out hours of useful content. I support them virtually as well as my number 1 stop at making “MOST” purchases. We all love the content they provide, so my purchases help fund future videos and projects.

I live on the east coast, it takes over a week often times closer to 10days for BRS to ship anything to me and truthfully I find that unacceptable. My closest LFS is approaching 2hrs and often times find myself going to a poorly stocked Petco or amazons 2 day shipping if I need it quick.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS or LFS.
only thing I buy from Amazon are books, that I can't get at the library, now that Amazon put all the local book stores out of business.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I shop by price, availability and selection.
I tend to check with BRS and Marine Depot first.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90% of what I purchase is either LFS or an online aquatic specialty retailer. I pretty much only buy from Amazon if my other options are out and/or I need it faster than they can get it to me. To be honest, amazon is MORE expensive for the things I need recently. Also, my last BRS order arrived 2 days later with free shipping, and Coral Vue 3 days later also free shipping. Unfortunately, my LFS doesn't carry a lot of the foods/supplements I use so a lot has to be purchased online anyway.

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still new and making small purchases sporadically. The stuff I need quickly I get from the LFS. Same goes for livestock. Parts for DIY stuff I get from Amazon.

I like BRS, I'm just not at a level where it makes sense to shop there yet though.

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closest LFS that deals in salt water is a good 2 hour drive one way from me also a lot of times their fish are same price if not cheaper than online sellers. But, I will not buy fish from them. I want some kind of a guarantee on the fish and they don't provide one so I will stay at home and order from LiveAquaria.

Although since LiveAquaria has dang near doubled their prices since the last time I bought fish over a year ago I am actually contemplating on visiting this lfs that's 2 hours away and possibly buying fish from them.

In reference to equipment, when I first got into this Hobby I bought quite a bit of stuff from Marine Depot and some stuff from BRS.

But then I got hooked on the BRS 52 weeks of reefing and pretty much buy most of my items from them now kind of like a thank you for the videos.

Now when it comes to a replacement pump or wavemaker and little gadgets of some sort I will go on Amazon because nine times out of 10 I need them ASAP. Plus personally I'm not into the wav or Ecotec or anything like that I just go with the generic versions and obviously they are much cheaper and I can get those items much faster than the online specialty stores.

So to basically sum it up BRS gets the most of my equipment orders. LiveAquaria gets my fish orders. And Amazon gets my need it now, don't need brand names stuff.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SUPPORT INDUSTRY.jpg

I really liked what you said Rev.;
"We need to support companies like Bulk Reef Supply, Aquarium Specialty, Marine Depot, Premium Aquatics, Champion Lighting Supply, SaltwaterAquarium (all R2R sponsors) and our local fish stores."

I love getting deals but purchasing from the community helps keep the industry and our hobby and Reef2Reefs available and at fair prices.

If Amazon owns all the retail stores they will raise prices to keep their investors happy. Where will we get our fish, coral, and dogfood when Amazon acquires Petco?

Thanks https://www.reef2reef.com/categories/sponsors.5/

Back