Do you think this tank would be nosy with only 1 stand pipe?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooo I am think about yet another tank.

a pro clear/ pro star 90 I did a search but only found threads for there bigger 150s and up.

this is a 36x20x22 i and I would love to use it for a seahorse set up, something that I have wanted to do for 6 years now.

but the kicker is it has only 1 "stand pipe" drain pipe with what looks like to be a silencer on it.
1620063078736.png

I remember the noise we all put of with before full siphon sbecame a thing and i dont want to deal with that again.

there 150 models 4x2x2 120 gal DT does have the double drain pipe but I think that will be to big + I have a light that will work perfect for a 3' tank and its more likely to the the go ahead if the tank is not that big. :D + the 3'er is cheaper too!

thoughts?

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup... not horrible, but not completely silent either. Same setup as my Deep Blue 60g cube. That tank is being replaced by a new Fijicube tank in the next couple weeks. I'm planning on drilling it for a new return and using both drain overflow pipes for drains for the next time I set it up.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup... not horrible, but not completely silent either. Same setup as my Deep Blue 60g cube. That tank is being replaced by a new Fijicube tank in the next couple weeks. I'm planning on drilling it for a new return and using both drain overflow pipes for drains for the next time I set it up.

the other tank I am thinking about is another fiji cube. there 81 ext to replace my nano peninsula so could have seahorses :)

I also thought about coming over the top for the return so I could have an E drain but that almost defeats the clean look of a nice low iron rimless.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the other tank I am thinking about is another fiji cube. there 81 ext to replace my nano peninsula so could have seahorses :)

I also thought about coming over the top for the return so I could have an E drain but that almost defeats the clean look of a nice low iron rimless.
I thought about the same thing but decided to just wait until after I move the tank and drill it. I have the Fiji 108 sitting in my trailer out in the driveway.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search 'hofer gurgle buster", you can make these yourself for a few dollars and a half hour. Use the right size for the water flow, dial it in and that drain will be dead silent.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search 'hofer gurgle buster", you can make these yourself for a few dollars and a half hour. Use the right size for the water flow, dial it in and that drain will be dead silent.

man I have not heard that in a few years! totally forgot about the gurgle busters.
problem is its metric piping would be a PITA to mod. in the overflow?

made one of those years ago for the 75...worked pretty well not as good as a full siphon if I remember right.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man I have not heard that in a few years! totally forgot about the gurgle busters.
problem is its metric piping would be a PITA to mod. in the overflow?

made one of those years ago for the 75...worked pretty well not as good as a full siphon if I remember right.

The thing is these things are not "one size fits all" as many try and make them. 1st off the size you use will be determined by the water flow, which obviously is determined by your return pump. The diameter, placement, and amount of holes you drill also play into the tuning; so this is again customized to your application. You can easily adapt the top with any size pipe you need, simple silicone to attach will work just fine, there is no pressure, just flow. If you dial these in properly I guarantee that drain will be dead silent. The airhole at the top may also need adjusting, the higher the flow, the more air you need.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%

Back