Do you think toxins from a Corky Gorgonian can cause SPS corals to die?

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a new 34 gal SPS Q-tank one year ago and have had nothing but problems trying to maintain SPS. (You may have seen my threads on "Tin Problems" and "White Tips on SPS"). A Corky Gorgonian hitch-hiker was unintentionally introduced when some Gulf rock was added early on. I often wondered about the possibility of toxins from the gorgonian and mentioned this possibility in the past. I never got a good answer and perhaps because this is such a common gorgonian assumed that it is probably harmless.

But I have recently read some concerning threads about this gorgonian and found this statement when doing a google search:
"The Corky Sea Finger is one of the most toxic of the known gorgonians, as it secretes a number of terpenes and acetogenins. The level of toxicity for this species is linked to the depth they are found, with deeper specimens emitting stronger levels of terpenoid compounds. Interestingly, the primary terpenoid compound it secretes is asbestinane, which may be isolated to just this species".

So, first, would you agree that the gorgonian in the photo below is a Corky Gorgonian, and has anybody successfully or unsuccessfully kept SPS with this gorgonian?

Unless I can be convinced this coral is harmless, I will probably have to remove it which at the moment seems the prudent course.

Thank you!

gorgonian.jpg

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure on the gorg and SPS, but if you are running GAC, it should not matter. I would guess that there is a better chance that it is just the age of the tank causing problems for SPS, rather than a gorg. Other gorgonian experts can chime in, but I personally would not remove the gorgonian. The fact it is flourishing may be more of a clue that your water column may be a bit too high in nutrients for SPS. They (SPS) like clean water, low in DOC and nutrients. That is why mixed reefs are such a balancing act. Clean enough for SPS and dirty enough for LPS/softies leaves very limited overlap.

Dennis

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My old 120 had a big corky finger in it for what it’s worth. You can sort of see it right in the middle back
7F8D7CAA-06E2-4C04-BA27-642DD94FFF7F.jpeg
A9A404DC-2F59-42CC-AF71-7FAE3684339B.jpeg
FE59A6A6-79A3-460F-9253-0097BA0DC1DF.jpeg
4C011AE4-1629-493D-945C-DFF5DA642832.jpeg

So i guess you are saying you didn't see any problem from the gorgonian! :D Nice tank!

I wonder if size of the tank has anything to do with this "toxin possibility." In any case, I just removed the gorgonian, performed a water change and added carbon. I will see if my remaining nubs start to perk up.

Lucky Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same gorgonian that was also a hitch hiker from live rock. Mine was huge though 2’ tall and a foot wide in my 150 gallon sps tank. My sps did fine. I didn’t run carbon and almost no water changes.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it seems to me that any kind of soft coral should be a no-go in a quarantine tank for acros. There's only one way to know: remove the gorgonian and do a full up water change.

If you do so, please tell us what results you get after like a month.

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it seems to me that any kind of soft coral should be a no-go in a quarantine tank for acros. There's only one way to know: remove the gorgonian and do a full up water change.

If you do so, please tell us what results you get after like a month.
I agree. This tank is a temporary "Main Tank/SPS Q-tank" because this is all I am allowing myself until I move (soon). Then it will be a dedicated SPS Q-tank.

As mentioned above, I already removed the gorgonian. I'll report back after 6-8 weeks. (If I don't see any improvement with my remaining SPS nubs then I will tell him "I'm sorry" and let him come back home.) :)

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a big millepora grow out with gorgonians in a tank but I was also running carbon. I have heard that though so I always ran carbon.

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened with the gorg, allowed to come back home ?

I have a candelabra gorg with SPS, no problem.
I kept the gorgonian in an aerated bucket for about 3 months then gave it away to a local aquarist.
Shortly after my last post (4 months ago) I replaced the R.S. Reefer 170 with a I.M. 100. Ever since then, all my SPS frags that were barely hanging in started to come back and are now doing very well. But I don't think the gorgonian was the problem (although I don't have any way to know that for sure). I suspect that my problem was with elevated tin that I battled for the first 9-10 months followed by 1-2 months of deaths due to Bearded Fireworms. (It took me 2 months to figure out that these worms were killing my frags). One year of a nightmare before swapping tanks!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back