Do you think we have gone too far with clownfish breeding?

Have we gone too far in search of new types of Clownfish?

• Total voters
OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as no real harm is done, I’m ok with it. I feel that clownfish are one of the fish that attract newcomers to the hobby. You can thank Disney for that. I would actually like to get a clownfish myself, but am waiting for the Great white shark/clown morph for my nano. Should work out great.

I agree, but I do think a line needs to be drawn here.

However, I would take one of those Sharkclowns in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy...

I think it's pathetic that people use the knowledge of breeding saltwater fish to create the monstrosities known as "designer clownfish". I've also seen angel and tang crosses. I even saw an acropora hybrid. It's a shame. Saltwater was, for me, the last closest thing to natural we can get in the pet industry. Now breeding blind clownfish? Not as bad as the blood red parrot cichlid, maybe, but pretty bad. I wish there wasn't a market for this stuff.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If that place under the mouse ears could figure out the stubby fin gene, you better believe that they would be all over it!!!

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that place under the mouse ears could figure out the stubby fin gene, you better believe that they would be all over it!!!

I hadn't even thought of that but its kindof shocking they haven't tried to breed one... I mean, they have longfin clowns now.

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the same as any other breeders; dogs, cats, whatever. The breeders need to breed first of all good genetics; health, temperment traits ect. As long as they continue to breed for strong healthy traits, good for them. But, if they breed just to get new colors, abnormalities (such as long coats or fins ect), and do not keep good health in the lines, then that is wrong, and should not continue.

chad vossen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the pitch forks away, you're misunderstanding this. The clownfish isn't bred to be partially blind. Poor eyesight is typical of most albino animals. There are SOOO many varieties of albino freshwater fish, reptiles, amphibians, mammals, and more. It's a natural genetic anomaly.

It's only a matter of time before more albino fish show up in the saltwater hobby. I'm looking forward to an albino orchid dottyback. I would bet it will be bright pink.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the pitch forks away, you're misunderstanding this. The clownfish isn't bred to be partially blind. Poor eyesight is typical of most albino animals. There are SOOO many varieties of albino freshwater fish, reptiles, amphibians, mammals, and more. It's a natural genetic anomaly.

It's only a matter of time before more albino fish show up in the saltwater hobby. I'm looking forward to an albino orchid dottyback. I would bet it will be bright pink.
Nobody has pitchforks, just members with opinions and discussing things. I disagree, I've had albino snakes with no eyesight issues. Breeding a fish for a color knowing its partially blind is something I feel is to far.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a first batch, So personally, I think I can give ORA a pass as you wouldn't know of any potential health issues until the fish mature. However, if they continue to breed them, that will certainly give me pause.
Many examples of albino forms having eyesight issues- it’s an almost complete lack of melanin in the sclera and the cells are damaged by normal intensity daylight levels. The impact of breeding ‘red eyes’ could very easily have been determined in advance.

And I personally believe they defect leads to obvious behavioral difference, since if it was very mild or not obvious, they wouldn’t have mentioned it

@chad vossen : looks like we posted at about the same time, lol.

As for albino snakes having good vision- snakes naturally have pretty moderate to poor vision, and make up for it with thermosensors in the ‘pits’ near their nose. It’s not a fair comparison to fish, dogs, pigs, deer, rabbits, or humans.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many examples of albino forms having eyesight issues- it’s an almost complete lack of melanin in the sclera and the cells are damaged by normal intensity daylight levels. The impact of breeding ‘red eyes’ could very easily have been determined in advance.

And I personally believe they defect leads to obvious behavioral difference, since if it was very mild or not obvious, they wouldn’t have mentioned it

@chad vossen : looks like we posted at about the same time, lol.

As for albino snakes having good vision- snakes naturally have pretty moderate to poor vision, and make up for it with thermosensors in the ‘pits’ near their nose. It’s not a fair comparison to fish, dogs, pigs, deer, rabbits, or humans.
Still don't think it's right but it's just my opinion. Fish don't have heat sensory pits so a fishes eyesight being taken away for the sake of a color to sell is just wrong but again, just my opinion.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still don't think it's right but it's just my opinion. Fish don't have heat sensory pits so a fishes eyesight being taken away for the sake of a color to sell is just wrong but again, just my opinion.
I totally agree with you.

Since there’s are many examples of albino animals with red eyes having visual disability, I personally think it’s totally abhorrent that ORA did this, and no longer plan to purchase captive bred mandarins from them. I’d rather get livestock from people who don’t think it’s ok to produce a Halloween fad zombie fish.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree with you.

Since there’s are many examples of albino animals with red eyes having visual disability, I personally think it’s totally abhorrent that ORA did this, and no longer plan to purchase captive bred mandarins from them. I’d rather get livestock from people who don’t think it’s ok to produce a Halloween fad zombie fish.
I'm with you for sure, I was taken back when I read the article. Dissapointing to say the least.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No pitch forks here, but I do disagree with it, strongly. Yes some albino animals have issues with eyesight and this might be "Normal" for them. But the issue to me atleast is specifically breeding these knowing full well they will have eyesight issues just to have the next "Cool" looking fish cause that's all this really is, being able to have the next "Cool" looking fish.

These aren't some random morphs found in the wild. They were specifically bred to look this way and I'm guessing now, with the understanding that they will be visually impaired. I'm not misunderstanding anything here, you're misunderstanding my thoughts. I don't think they were bred to be partially blind, atleast I hope they weren't. But they were bred possibly with the knowledge that they will be partially blind, there enlies my problem.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pitch forks here, but I do disagree with it, strongly. Yes some albino animals have issues with eyesight and this might be "Normal" for them. But the issue to me atleast is specifically breeding these knowing full well they will have eyesight issues just to have the next "Cool" looking fish cause that's all this really is, being able to have the next "Cool" looking fish.

These aren't some random morphs found in the wild. They were specifically bred to look this way and I'm guessing now, with the understanding that they will be visually impaired. I'm not misunderstanding anything here, you're misunderstanding my thoughts. I don't think they were bred to be partially blind, atleast I hope they weren't. But they were bred possibly with the knowledge that they will be partially blind, there enlies my problem.
THey were accidentally produced via a natural mutation- but have been purposefully propagated for the red eye phenotype. On purpose. Despite being able to read articles about albinism and visual impacts, they did it anyway

Abhorrent, and now boycotted.

The fact they are crossing them with snowflakes to get offspring with the ‘in vogue, hip, woke’ name of ‘white walkers’ just shows they are doing it for mass market appeal to bring in cash.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact they are crossing them with snowflakes to get offspring with the ‘in vogue, hip, woke’ name of ‘white walkers’ just shows they are doing it for mass market appeal to bring in cash.

This is my issue, accident or not, they are repeating the results and attempting to now mix those results with other things to make other morphs with the same issues.

Yeah- “ just in time for Halloween”...

Convenient isn't it?

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You spell ‘disgusting’ a funny way...

Must be the Canadian in me....:p

And I mean don't get me wrong, I've always thought highly of ORA and there practices. They have been a leader in this industry for years. But this I think is just too far...

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back