Do you think we have gone too far with clownfish breeding?

Have we gone too far in search of new types of Clownfish?

• Total voters

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I admit I don't care one way or the other about this. If I put a clown fish in my tank I want it to look like a clown fish.

If these fish are defective in a way that impares them I would assume they never would make it a size to sell or would have to be sold with a disclaimer that they require special circumstances to survive.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranchu-goldfish.jpg

Because they lack a dorsal fin these fish can be rather slow. Additionally, if the wen covers the eyes it can significantly impair their vision. All this means they won’t be able to compete for food with more “able-bodied” tankmates. In fact, they should ideally be kept in an aquarium containing only other ranchus and lionheads, although other slow varieties work as well.

Monstrosities have been created before and will again. I have never kept any of these kind of fish but I know about them
Celestial-eye-Goldfish.jpg

bubbleeye-goldfish.jpg

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show me on ORAs website where they state this. :) *Sips tea and eats some popcorn*

Pretty sure a direct quote from ORA is just as good.

I admit I don't care one way or the other about this. If I put a clown fish in my tank I want it to look like a clown fish.

If these fish are defective in a way that impares them I would assume they never would make it a size to sell or would have to be sold with a disclaimer that they require special circumstances to survive.

To be fair ORA's website says nothing about LongFin Clowns being slow swimmers and being susceptible to getting sucked into powerheads because of it. Theres no disclaimer stating that maybe they should be kept in lower flow tanks for there safety...
Screenshot_20191212-164455_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20191212-164636_Samsung Internet.jpg

They even go so far as to say they swim and behave just like normal clowns. Now, it's certainly possible that maybe @TheHarold had some sick clowns, but I've seen few longfins and they aren't the most agile of fish...

Last edited:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since I did not create this thread I will be free with my thoughts.

yes.. these "designer" clowns are atrocious and I think they are ridiculous. just as dogs have been bred poorly over the last 100 years... these fish are another great example of taking something beautiful and making it uglier.

People have the right to buy whatever they want... but when they post them here don't be surprised to see some negativity and expect us just to ignore this trend and your thread.

have a nice day :)

bigcapct

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No different than Ball Python breeders trying to come up with different morphs and combos.

Heath Biggers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Breeding for an amazing variety of color and pattern is great. Go as far as you can. I don’t really get having a physical impairment come out and then naming it and acting like it’s a good thing. To me Partial blindness would be a result of breeding that should not be selected for much less named and promoted

Loverman Smith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this email the other day about ORAs new breed of clown fish "Zombie Clowns". Reading through this these new clowns look pretty cool, not something I would want myself but I could see the allure to them.

ora-zombie-clownfish-2-768x427.jpg

Upon further reading near the bottom of the article theres a little disclaimer stating that contrary to belief these fish aren't blind, but partially blind.

I don't know for sure if this is a byproduct of the particular type of breeding it takes to get this type of clowns or not. But I would think it's somewhat related.

So my question is, do you think we have gone too far trying to come up with new patterns of clowns? Have we gone so far as to accept breeding to the point of relatively disabled fish? What are your thoughts on this?
Good Question , I think the same thing about the poodle & the kardashys

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, having had a clown with a visual impairment I can say I’d expect these clowns to do just fine in our home aquaria.

I used to breed clowns, designer clowns, gasp. One of the fish somehow damaged it’s eye as a fry and while I thought about culling the fish, my daughter felt bad for it and looked for it every day. We called it one eyed Willie. One eyed Willie turned to have a beautiful snowcasso type pattern. And in fact became the dominant clown amongst the others it was kept with. One eyed Willie became a female and a name change was in order. Enter one eyed Willa. All with a 50% decrease in its vision.

While I personally don’t like the fish in question, I don’t believe it will have any issues in our tanks. I think the long finned clowns are terrible looking but some people like them, to each their own.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back