Do You Turn Your Skimmer Off when dosing Amino Acids, Coral Boosters, or Phytoplankton?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if it makes a difference if you turn your skimmer off when dosing amino acids, corals boosters, flatworm stop, or phytoplankton?

Prefer not to turn off my skimmer because I recirculate a CO2 scrubber through it which keeps my pH up. But will turn off for short period of time for more effective dosing.

Thank you.

DazAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I turn off my return pump and skimmer. This way whatever I’m dosing has a chance to be absorbed by the corals. I keep my ecotech pumps on feed mode so they have a smaller amount of circulation to move the water column.

I only do this for about 5-10 minutes which won’t have a big change in PH.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn the return pump off for a few hours when I pour in my "amino/phyto/cyclops/mysis/flake" soup to ensure maximum DT nutrient absorption.

For a short period, tank turn green and orange, everything goes into a crazy feeding orgy. After a couple of hours the water clear up and I turn the return pump back on.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question I have been thinking about, what amino's are better, those that are concentrated and sold in small bottles and dosed in drops or those that are sold in larger liter bottles and are dosable in larger amounts?
I know that the two little fishies brand doesn't even list ingredients so you have no idea what's in it, trade secrets and all.

Just wondering as I have never dosed amino acids before.

Thanks-

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back