Do you use “feed mode” and if so how?

lacrosseboss18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering how many people actually use a “feed mode?” Be it from your apex or other controller or even a dJ bar with switches to turn off so and so.

i would love to know how and what you do it.

How I’m thinking about using mine.

I want to switch out my eco tech Vectra L1 for 2 apex Cor 20s. I like the idea of their feed mode that just kinda keeps the water on the return at a stand still so it doesn’t drain into the sump. This way I don’t have to turn off the skimmer and so on... maybe turn my MP60s off or leave them on. If I turn them off use a wav to get the food moving a little. Have this time from 5 to 15 minutes.
Then I want a second feed mode for dosing non essential things. (Amino acids...). Basically for this just turn my skimmer off. Maybe carbon reactor for 30 minutes.

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it all the time on my Proflix, and many modern DC pumps offer it as a pump-specific mode if you don't have a controller. I run a low-turnover sump, so I don't kill the circulation pumps or the skimmer. I only shut down the gyre during feeding, and right now I have it set on a 15 minute timer. This seems to work well for me for most feedings that I do.

A lot will depend on if you're broadcast feeding, target feeding, or such. Some pumps are also a lot more friendly than others for daily power cycles. The nice thing about the Profilux is that it has multiple feed modes available, so you can program Feed 1 to do different things than Feed 2, etc... I've never used an Apex, so I don't know how the feed mode works on that system.

Back on my old tank I had a DJ power bar so I just turned off the pumps manually. Having a pre-defined mode is Sooooooo much nicer, it eliminates me forgetting to turn something back on. The Koralia's in the old tank also sometimes powered up in reverse, which was a pain.

Totlxtc

2 wheeled Idiot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the feed mode on my Apex every time I feed. Shuts off return pump and skimmer keeping the food in the main tank. I have my Nero's left on so they blow the food around the tank. If spot feeding coral I use the feed mode on the Nero's to shutdown all water movement. Sure makes it a lot easier to feed.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it on my Tunzes, turns them off for ten minutes so it's not like a jacuzzi in there while the fish eat.

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it all the time on my Proflix, and many modern DC pumps offer it as a pump-specific mode if you don't have a controller. I run a low-turnover sump, so I don't kill the circulation pumps or the skimmer. I only shut down the gyre during feeding, and right now I have it set on a 15 minute timer. This seems to work well for me for most feedings that I do.

A lot will depend on if you're broadcast feeding, target feeding, or such. Some pumps are also a lot more friendly than others for daily power cycles. The nice thing about the Profilux is that it has multiple feed modes available, so you can program Feed 1 to do different things than Feed 2, etc... I've never used an Apex, so I don't know how the feed mode works on that system.

Back on my old tank I had a DJ power bar so I just turned off the pumps manually. Having a pre-defined mode is Sooooooo much nicer, it eliminates me forgetting to turn something back on. The Koralia's in the old tank also sometimes powered up in reverse, which was a pain.
I too run a low turnover sump. I leave it running, but turn off the gyres, when I feed.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For APEX systems, I used it exclusively to turn off filtration, ATO, and DOSing for different periods of time (A =15, B=30, C=45, D=60minutes). I use "Alexa, ask Apex Fusion to start Feed Time Charlie" when I'm feeding phyto, roids, etc, for instance.

Now that I've weened all of the tank inhabitants onto pellet foot, the auto feeder schedule takes care of daily feeding and I've set aside feed mode A for manual feeding.

For the AquaIllumination Neros, I use feed mode when I am feeding outside of the schedule. I seldom do this, however, as my main concern is ensuring food doesn't end up in filtration and the APEX feed modes are used for that.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use feed mode every feeding. I have my core 20 turn down to about 1%. I turn the gyre on the left side up to 70% to blow the food around an keeps it away from the overflow. My sump still fills up with water so I turn off my skimmer and the rollermat so it don't advance the roll during feeding.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back