Do you use an external thermostat for your heater connected to your Apex?

What device do you use to control the temperature?

• I'm using the Apex as a thermostat for both heating and cooling

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Heating on an external thermostat, cooling controlled by the Apex

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Cooling on an external thermostat, heating controlled by the Apex

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I'm using a dual channel thermostat both for heating and cooling

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

richarddeweerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm setting up my new aquarium with an Apex and a titanium heater. Because I'm in Europe my Apex will be delivered with the basic EB6-240V. This one only has relay outputs and these are not the best outputs for a heater. So I'm looking into how other people connect their heaters and cooling to their apex.

I was first thinking of getting a dual channel thermostat for both heating and cooling. But If i want the apex to switch it off if it is too hot, it also switches of my cooling fans and that is a no go of course.

I'm currently leaning into using an external thermostat for the heating, and let the Apex switch it off if it gets too hot. And then use the Apex to control my cooling fans.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used a ranco for years. I just let the apex shut the ranco off if things get to hot.

I have no use for a chiller, my heaters run all 12 months of the year.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am using an Inkbird to control my BRS titanium heater and the Apex is there to shut things down if it gets to hot. The inkbird does not keep it as tight of control as the Apex did control the heater but I didnt want to kill an outlet in the apex so it is what it is. no cooling

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tanks. One has been running for 3 years and the Apex controls the main heater but not the backup. The chiller is powered by the Apex but controlled by it’s internal thermostat - the Apex is just a failsafe in case it fails on.

The newer tank has a Teco chiller/heater so I am running the tank off that and powering and controlling the backup heater from the Apex. This was only setup a couple of months ago so I’m yet to see how this goes long term. So far so good.

In both cases of course the Apex provides alerts for too warm or too cold.

somekindabonita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using an Inkbird to control my BRS titanium heater and the Apex is there to shut things down if it gets to hot. The inkbird does not keep it as tight of control as the Apex did control the heater but I didnt want to kill an outlet in the apex so it is what it is. no cooling
How do you have your inkbird outlet programmed? I have the same setup and want to shut off the inkbird if the tank gets too hot - this was what I came up with but want to make sure it's a good way to go about it!

Fallback ON
If Temp < 75.0 Then ON
If Temp > 80.0 Then OFF

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do you have your inkbird outlet programmed? I have the same setup and want to shut off the inkbird if the tank gets too hot - this was what I came up with but want to make sure it's a good way to go about it!

Fallback ON
If Temp < 75.0 Then ON
If Temp > 80.0 Then OFF
this is mine
Fallback OFF
If Tmp < 76.0 Then ON
If Tmp > 83.0 Then OFF
If Output Returnpump = OFF Then OFF
If Output Returnpump = ON Then ON

somekindabonita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is mine
Fallback OFF
If Tmp < 76.0 Then ON
If Tmp > 83.0 Then OFF
If Output Returnpump = OFF Then OFF
If Output Returnpump = ON Then ON
Awesome, thanks!
What's your reasoning for shutting it off while your return pump is off?

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Incase I am doing a water change from sump. So return would be off so just so I don’t forget to turn it off

Back