Do you use dueling gyres? Do your SPS enjoy it.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Citric acid dips once a month . Keeps 70-80% pushing water really nice.

maybe it’s a new model things but the gyre 330 isn’t hard to disassemble at all. It even has the color matching bands

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Two gyre 330's and two mp40's on my 36x36x16 tank. All controlled by the Hydros wave engine and wouldn't have it any other way. The great thing is, they're all in sync/anti sync with each other, which creates some pretty chaotic flow.
As far as cleaning the gyres, I bought extra cages and impellers for both, which was slightly more than one MP40 wetside. So cleaning takes five minutes or less. The dirty cages and impellers go into citric acid and then are ready to go.
1D331B73-2D80-4F85-A4A6-93D500B1F16F.jpeg

Tclason1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D5137F4D-433F-40FD-984C-0DAC0C239F0B.jpeg

BEC9F9B4-35DC-4CEB-807F-B8792E53AC60.jpeg

100% I run way too many pumps lol. I run 2 gyres on each side top and bottom (left side bottom is hidden under frag racks and coral). originally I ran the bottom ones to keep detritus off the bottom, but the growth of corals on the bare bottom has definitely taken off since adding significant bottom flow!

DanSavesTheDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running 2 Gyres for a little over 2 years now. I run one on the right side and one on the back center both towards the top of the tank. I use this specific setup because I have a single corner-flo tank.

For about a year and a half, I ran an icecap 3k with an old maxspect that did 1k. I recently upgraded to 2 of the newer maxspect gyre-xf350 capable of 5k which is a bit overkill for my 90g consider I have sand so I run mine at 20% alternating on the side and 10% constant in the back.

Overall I am happy with my growth and my sps all seem very happy with good polyp extension. Another good thing about them is they do a very good job keeping cyano at bay for me.

I'd definitely recommend a pair of them and even plan to use a pair on my future sps dominant 180 gallon once it's done being set up.

Richyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After years of running opposing gyres on one tank, and two in parallel aimed down the back wall to push up any detritus off the bare bottom (both tanks are BB), I have decided that the best use for them is on the back wall pointed down. I had to add mp40's and wav pumps to the sidewall mounted gyre tank. The flow was just too "thin". They do not get dirty very fast when they are pointed down as well. I will always see them as part of a "flow system" for my tanks though.

Pascoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sps dominated tank here.

4’ long, 16” tall tank and I have two icecap 4K gyres.

The left side is on 80% for 30 seconds while the right side is off completely, then they switch. It’s the “square wave” mode in the hydros app.

I have to fix my sand bed as it creates a bare spot every other day right in the middle (I have the special grade aragonite) but it’s totally worth it. My corals have never looked better and absolutely nothing settles to the sand bed.

One major downside is I’m cleaning the gyres every 2-3 weeks or else I notice a fairly significant decrease in flow; however, it’s absolutely a price I’m willing to pay.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m planning on running two 330s in my 4ft 120. Will be using the hydros wave engine. With the aqua cape I’m planning I think this will take care of most of the flow for my tank. Eventually I may add a small nero on the back wall down low if eventual coral growth makes detritus build up.

Also, as far as cleaning goes, I believe it’s @sp1187 who runs gyres and just puts them in a bucket of vinegar and runs them to clean them out. Hopefully he’ll jump in here and chime in about this
I would consider the 350s instead of the 330s on a 120. I currently have 330s on my 120 and Nero 5s on my 55. I was going to buy another set of neros for the back glass of the 120 but decided to experiment by buying a 350 pump only to try on the 120 because the 330s magnets are not that strong so they move around with any little bump from my glass cleaner. I got the 350 pump only to try because it works off the same controller. The 350 is a beast! It holds to the glass 100 times better than the 330 and is a few inches wider so gives better flow for the 24" width of the tank. I have since changed plans and I'm going to buy the 350 with the controller for the 120 and I'm going to swap out the 330s with the neros on the 55 and put the neros on the back wall of the 120 . One on each side of the overflow.

Metcho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two maxspect gyre 350 on my 60” long X 36” wide X 24” tall peninsula tank at one end and two MP 60 on other end there’s plenty of flow going on in the tank. I love the gyres but they need to be cleaned more since there about 2” under the water surface but the flow is work the cleaning.

Crotalus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone come up with a dependable tool that helps disassemble the maxspect gyres?
Last time I cleaned mine I couldn't fully disassemble them which basically means I am running on limited time before they crap out and need replacement.

It seems to me that maxspect should include a tool or sell one for this purpose as I've already broken one of the impellers in the past trying to take it apart. It really irks me.
What part are you having a problem with? Getting the magnets off the back or getting the impeller cages off? I don't have trouble doing it, but I don't take them apart any more. I spray them with peroxide while they are exposed during water changes. I also immerse them in a tupperware with a lid every once in a while. I put citric acid in the container and just run them for 1/2 an hour. Works great.

Gorgar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Hello,
Considering getting a pair of Icecap Gyres for my SPS dominate tank and setting them up on either end in a crossflow pattern.

Does anyone run this and how do you and your corals enjoy it?
Use dueling 2k icecaps on my 220, alternating flow in a 5 minute interval, everything seems to like it so far!

Gorgar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else here get tired of constantly cleaning gyres? Not to hijack the thread, but I feel like its a consideration for potential purchase. I have 2x XF350 on my 5x2x2 tank, and they push great water when theyre clean but every month or so I have to clean them or they slow way down and don't push nearly as much water. not sure if I'm in the minority there but I've read others have the same issue.
Never had that issue with my icecaps

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two ReefWave 45s. They run like a charm, even after all the coralline gets going on them. Semi-routine maintenance but yeah - opposed gyres are baller, and definitely a fan among the corals by all practical outcomes.

Michael Adam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running 2 maxspect on a 125 gallon. Lots of flow. Have a 350 at one end 330 at the other. Nice flow. For cleaning 50/50 water and vinegar. Drop them in let one run on low for a couple of hours remove take apart and scrub down. No problems yet. Do that every couple of months. No tool needed. Just pull apart.

Mickeyt1reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else here get tired of constantly cleaning gyres? Not to hijack the thread, but I feel like its a consideration for potential purchase. I have 2x XF350 on my 5x2x2 tank, and they push great water when theyre clean but every month or so I have to clean them or they slow way down and don't push nearly as much water. not sure if I'm in the minority there but I've read others have the same issue.
Kind of a pain in my tank. It’s an old acrylic so the cord is a pain for all my pumps. I guess that’s why you pay the big bucks for MPs. I’m getting there. The ultimate would be a gyre with a dry side and a wet side like the MPs. Don’t know how they would do it and it would probably cost ALOT!

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you program the alternating flow using hydros?
I'd like to know also. I have 4Ks on each end of a 180 6x2x2 but have yet to figure out much programing. I think I figured out the song and dance to get the bluetooth to connect, turned the speed down and feed mode but that's about it. App is very complicated to me.

Metcho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone come up with a dependable tool that helps disassemble the maxspect gyres?
Last time I cleaned mine I couldn't fully disassemble them which basically means I am running on limited time before they crap out and need replacement.

It seems to me that maxspect should include a tool or sell one for this purpose as I've already broken one of the impellers in the past trying to take it apart. It really irks me.
What’s the problem your having disassembling the gyre? You only need to take the cage off by twisting and pulling comes off. Then just a slight pull of the cage impeller and the come right off. Nothing else to dissemble clean with toothbrush after soaking in whatever cleaning solution you use I prefer citric acid myself over vinegar. Nothing in the middle of the actual pump motor comes apart for cleaning it’s all sealed as far as I can tell.

waterskiguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two XF350 on each end of my 84" x 31" x 24" tank. The laminar flow helps reach across the tank without any problem. Alternating flow from one side to the other, random flow and a couple short burst alternating flow patterns make my daily schedule up. I had MP40's and they just don't reach like the gyres do.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

I saw in one of the videos they used a 5 or 10 ml syringe (the kind that comes with all the test kits) to push out the bushings.

Back