Do you use dueling gyres? Do your SPS enjoy it.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 - XF350 on each end of my custom 92" x 36" x 28" center reef along with 2 MP60's and a 4000 gph return pump on an Oceans Motions 4 way motor valve. the XF350's were my last addition and the difference how clean the sand stays with the XF350's is a world of difference. The surface agitation is unline any of the other pumps, able to run these right at surface level. Very impressed, they ramp from 30% - 100% alternating each other.

kaceyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Icecap 4K and a 2k at opposite ends of a 48" X 24" X 20" 100g. It was great for running counter current to each other, lots of turbulence and surface agitation. Noticed an improvement in growth soon after adding them. I clean the 4K in citric acid every 6 wks or so and it works great but the 2K started getting "stuck loop" notices and would stop/start in jerks about a second apart. I put new bushings in the cage ends but can't get it apart to do the motor bushings. Also I can't get the WIFI to connect anymore. It was easy at first but not after adding the 2nd Gyre. I loved it when it worked but only running 1 Gyre now.

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What part are you having a problem with? Getting the magnets off the back or getting the impeller cages off? I don't have trouble doing it, but I don't take them apart any more. I spray them with peroxide while they are exposed during water changes. I also immerse them in a tupperware with a lid every once in a while. I put citric acid in the container and just run them for 1/2 an hour. Works great.
I see that most people are saying no big deal have the newer 300 series. I have the old xf250 and taking out the magnet is a real pain in the you know what. I can’t get them out of my gyres anymore. The new design has addressed the issue as I’m sure there were major complaints about them.

That’s good to see on the imbedded video as they now look super easy to take apart.

HughJazz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I’ve had the icecaps and quickly got rid of them. They’re a pain to clean, they need to be cleaned often and get annoyingly loud when dirty. Would not recommend

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
icecap is an inferior product to maxspect, so I would expect the consumer to find them less appealing. I've always found the cords for the MPs to be very distracting and takes away aesthetics when viewing on those panes.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the problem your having disassembling the gyre? You only need to take the cage off by twisting and pulling comes off. Then just a slight pull of the cage impeller and the come right off. Nothing else to dissemble clean with toothbrush after soaking in whatever cleaning solution you use I prefer citric acid myself over vinegar. Nothing in the middle of the actual pump motor comes apart for cleaning it’s all sealed as far as I can tell.

I learned after 2 years of owning them that this is incorrect. The impeller does indeed come out to be cleaned. Take a pair of needle nose pliers and pull the plastic plug out of one side. It's very tough to do and I only do it sparingly.

I have 4x xf-250 on my 5x3x27" tall 250 gallon. Keep a spare set of turbines and cages clean and only bleach + acid wash them every other time. I get about 2 months between cleaning, starting out at 60% and by the end I'm at 100% to maintain flow. I'm about 3 years in on 3, and 5 on one xf-150.

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So because of this thread I reconfigured one of my tanks and I have to say my Nems are loving it.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider the 350s instead of the 330s on a 120. I currently have 330s on my 120 and Nero 5s on my 55. I was going to buy another set of neros for the back glass of the 120 but decided to experiment by buying a 350 pump only to try on the 120 because the 330s magnets are not that strong so they move around with any little bump from my glass cleaner. I got the 350 pump only to try because it works off the same controller. The 350 is a beast! It holds to the glass 100 times better than the 330 and is a few inches wider so gives better flow for the 24" width of the tank. I have since changed plans and I'm going to buy the 350 with the controller for the 120 and I'm going to swap out the 330s with the neros on the 55 and put the neros on the back wall of the 120 . One on each side of the overflow.

I didn’t find the magnets that weak on the glass of my 120 and it’s a deal thicker than most 120s these days. I may swap out the 330s eventually when I have actual coral growth to deal with but with what I have planned with my aquascape and how much money I’ve already spent, I’m going to run with what I’ve got for now.

thanks for the tip nonetheless!

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone running gyres on a cube tank? I'm switching over from a 55 gallon to a 50 cube and want to run my 330s in the cube. Do you think that would be too much for a 2ftx2ft tank?

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone running gyres on a cube tank? I'm switching over from a 55 gallon to a 50 cube and want to run my 330s in the cube. Do you think that would be too much for a 2ftx2ft tank?

ive never done it, but I’d run one on perpendicular walls of the cube. One pointing east west. The other north south. Bet that’d be some crazy flow

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to do a bare bottom? I think it will be way too much flow to have them both running at 100% or even close to 100%. You also have to factor in that your return flow will also be significant.

My tank is slightly over 5' x 21.5" x 2' tall and I run 2 XF250s on a ramp up/down schedule similar to BRS programming for Apex. If I put them both on max flow it gets to be storm surge overkill and the fish have almost nowhere to hide lol.

Also, I used to run one of mine perpendicular but had to change that once I put sand in the tank. I think if you get two you should get the smaller sized ones for 2' tank.

When I design my next tank I think the best overall flow situation for SPS tanks (rectangular shaped) would be to have opposite ended gyres and have two separate returns (same size pumps but on a timer to switch throughout day) coming through sea swirls on opposite ends of the tank in combination with smaller properly sized MPs positioned towards the bottom to eliminate any weird dead spots.

Last edited:

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you going to do a bare bottom? I think it will be way too much flow to have them both running at 100% or even close to 100%. You also have to factor in that your return flow will also be significant.

My tank is slightly over 5' x 21.5" x 2' tall and I run 2 XF250s on a ramp up/down schedule similar to BRS programming for Apex. If I put them both on max flow it gets to be storm surge overkill and the fish have almost nowhere to hide lol.

Also, I used to run one of mine perpendicular but had to change that once I put sand in the tank. I think if you get two you should get the smaller sized ones for 2' tank.

When I design my next tank I think the best overall flow situation for SPS tanks (rectangular shaped) would be to have opposite ended gyres and have two separate returns (same size pumps but on a timer to switch throughout day) coming through sea swirls on opposite ends of the tank in combination with smaller properly sized MPs positioned towards the bottom to eliminate any weird dead spots.
I am using the caribsea special grade sand. I would definitely not run them at 100%! Lol. I would probably ramp them up until I see the sand starting to blow around and then reduce them a little until it stops. I was also thinking of putting them on either side of the back glass to cause a forward current. I figure once it hits the front glass the current would swing around and circulate toward the back and sides of the rockwork. That configuration would also keep the side viewing panels clear of pumps. Any thoughts on that idea?

Attachments

• 20210509_161609.jpg
    20210509_161609.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 24

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your plan is fine, but I just would get the smaller sized pumps. They move a lot of water. Your tank is small.

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do they make now? 330s and 350s? If you have the 330s already then you should be good. I think the gyres are amazing personally. But to each his/her own.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one jebao scp-150 vertical on either end of my tank alternating which one is on. My sps seem to like the flow and it's cool to watch the gentle back and forth swaying of the water.
I have a 150 on one end and a 180 on the other . Horizontally on the top .
I was planning on changing them to vertically at the back .
Do you have pictures of yours ?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 on one end and a 180 on the other . Horizontally on the top .
I was planning on changing them to vertically at the back .
Do you have pictures of yours ?
20210305_175032.jpg

Mine are placed in the middle of each side because of the corner overflows. I actually would've preferred them horizontally but there wasn't room because of the overflows.

Please disregard my dirty glass, and old school thermometer. It was a picture I took several months back and didn't plan on anyone seeing it. I occasionally take pictures of corals and fish to help track growth and apparently I took a full tank shot as well. I'd take a current picture but the tank lights are off for the night.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210305_175032.jpg

Mine are placed in the middle of each side because of the corner overflows. I actually would've preferred them horizontally but there wasn't room because of the overflows.

Please disregard my dirty glass, and old school thermometer. It was a picture I took several months back and didn't plan on anyone seeing it. I occasionally take pictures of corals and fish to help track growth and apparently I took a full tank shot as well. I'd take a current picture but the tank lights are off for the night.
20210305_175032.jpg

That’s kind of what I was thinking . But curious how the flow is

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back