Do you want to re-aquascape your reef tank? Click ahead!

Have you ever re-aquascaped your reef tank and were you happy with the results?

• YES and I was happy

Votes: 159 40.6%
  • YES but not happy

Votes: 38 9.7%
  • No but am thinking about it

Votes: 126 32.1%
  • No I have not and will not

Votes: 50 12.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 19 4.8%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you ever looked at a tank thread, seen an amazing reef tank aquascape and thought that you would like to re-aquascape your own tank? Umm just about every day that ends in "Y" for me! So what if we really want to take on the task of a new aquascape? How do we do it and what are some tips and tricks? Let's talk about it!

1. What are some tips for RE-Aquascaping your reef tank? What should you do or not do?

2. Have you ever re-aquascaped your reef tank and if so how did it go and were you happy with the results?

image via @xellos88
P_20180919_171258-01.jpeg

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a leak and moved everything out and into a holding tank and couldn't really get my scape how it was before so I just made up something new and ended up liking it more.

One issue I had was entrusting coral on some of the rock work so those rocks had to go back similar to how they were before more or less.

I didn't enjoy doing it though. Kind of stressful and took a long time.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
totally content with mine.
good thing too, as there is no unassembly possible.
it's two pieces. and so much growth attached between zoas and encrusting corals.
toying with adding one more piece I had made for it that never made it in to the tank.

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the middle of a 911 tank build. I really like my tank aqua scape and all my corals are growing so great but me and my son noticed some horizontal cracks near the middle of the glass. I haven't seen these before. So now I'm panic stricken and trying to get my 125 up and running. I'm so scared it's going to explode .

Attachments

• 20210512_162659.jpg
    20210512_162659.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 339

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the middle of a 911 tank build. I really like my tank aqua scape and all my corals are growing so great but me and my son noticed some horizontal cracks near the middle of the glass. I haven't seen these before. So now I'm panic stricken and trying to get my 125 up and running. I'm so scared it's going to explode .

I feel this post. I woke up to a leak at 630am on my way to work and had to move everything into a storage tub throw lights on the top and go to work. Goodluck!

But I highly suggest the storage tub method now having done it. Worked great until I got the new tank setup after the other leaked. Gave me lots of piece of mind.

20210507_122748.jpg

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a leak and moved everything out and into a holding tank and couldn't really get my scape how it was before so I just made up something new and ended up liking it more.

One issue I had was entrusting coral on some of the rock work so those rocks had to go back similar to how they were before more or less.

I didn't enjoy doing it though. Kind of stressful and took a long time.
I feel your pain. And yes it's stressful when you're not really ready and forced to do it fast.

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel this post. I woke up to a leak at 630am on my way to work and had to move everything into a storage tub throw lights on the top and go to work. Goodluck!

But I highly suggest the storage tub method now having done it. Worked great until I got the new tank setup after the other leaked. Gave me lots of piece of mind.

20210507_122748.jpg
I really like your idea. I'll have to get alot of help. My stupid disability limits what I can do. But with the tub I can have the piece of mind that there won't be an explosion.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just “re-scaped” to clear a large space for a carpet anemone. Most of the rock got reworked and one piece was taken out.

I am sure the anemone arriving today will be very happy but I have destroyed my tang’s “territory” and all the lines have to be reset. He was beaten up badly by my damsel and I feel awful about it.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like your idea. I'll have to get alot of help. My stupid disability limits what I can do. But with the tub I can have the piece of mind that there won't be an explosion.
The only thing I had a problem moving was the sand without making a cloudy mess for a couple days. If you can get your son to help you I think you would feel a lot better with a move to a storage container or Rubbermaid tub. I had a tub that a light bar would fit right on it. Some of the corals actually did better because the tub was shallower than my main display. I kept them in it for a month as well so don't worry about the amount of time.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tape it! Never underestimate the power of duct tape. Could buy you a few days, weeks, (or minutes) but still X’ng tempered glass something.

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think about rescaping constantly! The thing that always stops me is finding the right approach. When I was first putting my tank together I must have spent 2 months with the rock laid out on a folding card table. Tweaking it, moving it around, until I got it just right.

I just have no idea how I'd augment my current scape. In my head I have ideas, but that would essentially involve adding rock into my DT moving it around, and in some cases gluing it down, then stepping back looking at it. If I didn't like it I'd have to rip it all out.

As I said, I really like the idea but I imagine there's got to be a better approach. Possible @Bulk Reef Supply video? Thomas is great slinging gear but miss his long form videos. :D

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other...

No and I like my scape :p

I planned it out for months before my tank was even ready! Super happy with it.

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our tank was gifted to us with a pathetic amount of rock in it. We've slowly added more but I did a complete rescape when we added some new fish and corals to take away everyone's territories. It worked great and everyone more or less gets along now.

Back