Do your walls need protection from your saltwater tank?

Have you ever had to repaint, resurface or re-drywall a wall because of your saltwater tank?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 110 27.4%
  • NO

Votes: 259 64.4%
  • NO but I do have a wall issue going on now

Votes: 28 7.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 1.2%

• Total voters

Rogueaquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Yes I have. Large tangs tend to want to splash and play lol.
2. This go around, tanks got setup after a remodel. In order to protect the wall, I used a semi gloss clear acrylic paint on the walls that tanks were against to protect them. Works great and you would never know it was on the wall. Paint was semi gloss, so worked out well.
When we moved into our home out my tanks in the garage which is insulated. I first used a primer (Kilz) then I used an oil based paint on top of that to protect the walls and ceiling

RIC13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yep! Like others have said, the RODI overflowed and ran down the drywall. Messed it up. After the second time I got an auto shut off. Problem solved!

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. I built my tank into a wall with the fishroom on the back side. The drywall comes down from the ceiling and ends right where the rim of the tank begins. I painted the drywall and studs that are just above the water with DryLok for basements. Then, I put a 9" high rim of plexiglass on the rim to prevent minor splashes from landing on the DryLok. The only problem I've had is that over the past 20 years, the heat and light from the MH have caused some of the DryLok to begin to crack and peel a bit.

husemn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have sever salt creep issues and the drywall is turning to mush. I am moving my tank and downsizing partly because of it. I have never been happy with my setup for other reasons but on my next tank I will certainly be doing more wall protection to mitigate salt creep damage. Not sure what that is yet but will figure something out.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I tiled the back wall before moving in the new tank .....knowing the issues behind my current setup.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THANKFULLY, No. I upgraded and moved my tank earlier this year. I was concerned that there would be wall damage after having the old tank in the same corner for almost 3 years. When I finally took the old tank down the wall was fine. I didn't even need to paint. I did take a clean, wet towel and wash the wall. lightly to remove any salt spray there may have been. I was blessed to not have any issues.

Before I put up the new aquarium, I took the time and prepped the wall well. Waterproof primer and outdoor paint. I wanted to make sure there would be no issues, as this tank will be there for the next 10 years or more.

Sshannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the paint bubble up on the walls in several aquarium stores I've worked for. We got around it by putting up a plastic tarp on the wall with lath screws.

pjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is in my stand under the tank. One day, I was reaching behind the tank, looking for a tool that dropped behind the setup.

As I hunted, my eyes noticed that the wall behind the sump looked odd. I touched it.... and my finger went right through! The evaporation an d moisture from years of running the tank had absorbed above the sump.

The solution was placing a large piece of plywood behind the sump in front of the wall. It has dried, but one day, when the tank is moved, there will be some patch work!

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is in my stand under the tank. One day, I was reaching behind the tank, looking for a tool that dropped behind the setup.

As I hunted, my eyes noticed that the wall behind the sump looked odd. I touched it.... and my finger went right through! The evaporation an d moisture from years of running the tank had absorbed above the sump.

The solution was placing a large piece of plywood behind the sump in front of the wall. It has dried, but one day, when the tank is moved, there will be some patch work!
I'm so sorry but ROTFLMAO

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No micro bubbles = no salt spray. Its the popping bubbles creating aerosol salt spray that does it. I only had issue with the walls when I was running a skimmer.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 86 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back