Do your walls need protection from your saltwater tank?

Have you ever had to repaint, resurface or re-drywall a wall because of your saltwater tank?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 110 27.4%
  • NO

Votes: 259 64.4%
  • NO but I do have a wall issue going on now

Votes: 28 7.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 1.2%

• Total voters

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never in 35 years has salt creep caused a wall problem. Only wall repairs were putting plumbing through wall.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i said yes
when i was planning a SW aquarium in the basement, i looked round and realized i had an unfinished looking basement that i had planned to seal the wall leaks and paint the walls 'someday'. i realized that if i installed an aquarium the chances were that i would never move it to paint and seal. well, before i set it up, i cleaned the walls and floor in the area. i Flex-Seal'ed the leaks in the entire basement. I painted the wall and floor where the aquarium would go with Killz primer (2 coats) and latex interior (two coats); when i used lumber and plywood for hanging pipes and electrical, i coated the wood the same way. also where i came through the floor to the basement i painted the subfloor above the sump. The rest of the basement is still in the 'Someday' category but i still have plenty of primer and latex to match the areas around the aquariums.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its kind of a misnomer to call it creep if its jumping from the tank to the walls. I noticed it on my plaster walls and realized pretty quickly that its the aerosol generated by microbubbles doing it. On the tanks I have with no microbubble generation, this does not happen. You only need to break surface tension for gas exchange through surface agitation. Bubbles are an inefficient way to accomplish this this and very messy.

Also there was a comment here about aiming powerheads at the surface for agitation that was incorrect as a blanket assumption. This is in fact a very good way to accomplish gas exchange without making a mess. Just aim it at an angle so there are strong ripples and turnover at the surface, but no splashing. It seems counterintuitive, but there is strong science behind it and it works.

Last edited:

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater can be a destructive force when it comes to your home. Floors, metals and other materials don't mix well with salt creep and saltwater. We know how to protect our floors but what about our walls? Salt creep will find it's way to your wall that's for sure! I've had my share of wall damage and I wanted to hear from you all today and find out how you mitigate or eliminate wall damage! Let's talk about it!

1. Have you ever had to repaint, resurface or re-drywall a wall because of your saltwater tank?

2. How do you protect your walls from saltwater damage?

bigstock-Plasterer-Plastering-A-Wall-Of-410084293.jpg

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its kind of a misnomer to call it creep if its jumping from the tank to the walls. I noticed it on my plaster walls and realized pretty quickly that its the aerosol generated by microbubbles doing it. On the tanks I have with no microbubble generation, this does not happen. You only need to break surface tension for gas exchange through surface agitation. Bubbles are an inefficient way to accomplish this this and very messy.

Also there was a comment here about aiming powerheads at the surface for agitation that was incorrect as a blanket assumption. This is in fact a very good way to accomplish gas exchange without making a mess. Just aim it at an angle so there are strong ripples and turnover at the surface, but no splashing. It seems counterintuitive, but there is strong science behind it and it works.

I want to add, before anyone jumps on me that I am not implying that microbubbles don't aerate well. I am pointing out that the mess they make can outweigh the benefit when there are other, less messy yet effective methods available. Microbubbles contained within a protein skimmer for example, will not send salt spray everywhere. Just don't let them into your display if you don't want to deal with salt spray getting all over everything.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummmm same.. lol
That's the reason I moved my RO/DI system to the basement and built a mixing station. It can flood all it wants and all it does is get the concrete floor wet...LOL!!!

I didn't do this because I fell asleep and flooded my hard wood flooring 2 or 3 or 4 times. :rolleyes:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a strange question.....
One thing I noticed though is in that time the carpet should have been generating mold. It didn't smell moldy at all. It was grimy, but I expect that from evaporated salt water.
Will salt water (at our salinity levels) cause mold to grow under walls and under flooring? Or is there too much salt to actually inhibit the growth of mold and mildew?
Salt causes most common mold spores to dehydrate when they get wet. Its like poison to them.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t put it next to the walls. Left room behind to add equipment, none under tank I’m not risking leaks on electronics. Space around back and sides, no issues.

AJQ69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
semigloss paint on walls behind the tank, it is easier to wipe the salt creep from the walls with a wet soapy rag

KWSanders

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish room in my house I'm building will have PVC walls and water proof luxury vinyl floors with a floor drain for big messes

Lojenn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A piece of expanded PVC attach to wall that can/will ruin your wall may be the answer. I use on all builds where there's a potential of salt creep and or splashing water. Cleans easily, does not water spot. 8 colors available

FFFishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank was a Marineland 120 with corner overflow. There was always a salty mist above the overflow. Even though the tank was 6 inches away from the wall, after a few years of cleaning, the drywall was in pretty bad shape. Both of my current tanks are 6 inches from the wall, and those walls are covered with tile. It's very easy to keep clean.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I have to laugh. I voted no damage. Until I started painting the wall where the new tank will soon go. When I started in 2016 I had a AIO in my office on one wall, and a qt tank on another where the new tank will go. Started painting and the paint wouldn't stick. I had salt damage on the wall!! Pinkish spot on the gray wall. I had the tank up high and it was a 40gal tall

Used a kitchen cleaner on the area, and then water. We'll see if I got it tomorrow. If not back to scrubbing!
20210720_184832.jpg

LVReefer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You absolutely need to protect your walls behind or around your tank. If the day comes and your tank breaks like mine did then you will probably still have paint and baseboards on your wall (i.e. happy wife) Saltwater is a corrosive thing.

Nano Chris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to replace the ceiling on the first floor due to my 90 gallon setup, hose somehow came disconnected… if that would be included in replacing drywall

Panama Brown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comedy Central Punch The Wall GIF by Workaholics
Think I have personally damaged my walls more than any salt creep has through out the years lol Luckily very minimal salt creep...

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater can be a destructive force when it comes to your home. Floors, metals and other materials don't mix well with salt creep and saltwater. We know how to protect our floors but what about our walls? Salt creep will find it's way to your wall that's for sure! I've had my share of wall damage and I wanted to hear from you all today and find out how you mitigate or eliminate wall damage! Let's talk about it!

1. Have you ever had to repaint, resurface or re-drywall a wall because of your saltwater tank?

2. How do you protect your walls from saltwater damage?

bigstock-Plasterer-Plastering-A-Wall-Of-410084293.jpg
I have never had to do this, living in Florida luckily we have tile floors and where the tank is sitting now is in front of a wall mirror that so far has not gotten the salt build up like in the past, actually none of the equipment has gotten the salt buildup like I have experienced in the past. I am glad that I have not had to make repairs and I feel for those of the reefers that have had to.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt causes most common mold spores to dehydrate when they get wet. Its like poison to them.
So, yay? Even if structures like under walls or under two by fours, the salt left over after the water evaporates is a powerful barrier to such insidious things as mold! That's really awesome. Not saying there's other negative effects that couldn't spawn in those spots, but still good to know!

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put plastic up around my sump where rollermats cause lots of splashing. The display is a peninsula and totally enclosed.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back