Do your walls need protection from your saltwater tank?

Have you ever had to repaint, resurface or re-drywall a wall because of your saltwater tank?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 110 27.4%
  • NO

Votes: 259 64.4%
  • NO but I do have a wall issue going on now

Votes: 28 7.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 1.2%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Saltwater can be a destructive force when it comes to your home. Floors, metals and other materials don't mix well with salt creep and saltwater. We know how to protect our floors but what about our walls? Salt creep will find it's way to your wall that's for sure! I've had my share of wall damage and I wanted to hear from you all today and find out how you mitigate or eliminate wall damage! Let's talk about it!

1. Have you ever had to repaint, resurface or re-drywall a wall because of your saltwater tank?

2. How do you protect your walls from saltwater damage?

bigstock-Plasterer-Plastering-A-Wall-Of-410084293.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Yes I have. Large tangs tend to want to splash and play lol.
2. This go around, tanks got setup after a remodel. In order to protect the wall, I used a semi gloss clear acrylic paint on the walls that tanks were against to protect them. Works great and you would never know it was on the wall. Paint was semi gloss, so worked out well.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not yet but when I move my two tanks here soon, I expect to find something. It might just be wiping down the wall or it could be a repaint. We will see.

The new tank won't be able to get salt or water on the walls nearly as easy. This was by design

RichardR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - I have had both large and small tanks for years and the worst is salt buildup on the walls that should be wiped off periodically. Typically there is more damage to floors or carpet if you let the salt fall and accumulate because the salt contains water that gets absorbed by carpet.

Kristy0813

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, we had a 55 gallon that the wall where the sump was started getting roughed up by the salt. We put a couple of the form style poster boards between the wall and the sump which stopped the erosion of the drywall.

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before setting my tank up, I painted the wall.

The paint previous owners used was a crummy quality satin finish, you could wipe your hand on the wall and it would come away chalky with paint rubbing off.

Painted over that with killz and then three coats of semigloss.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Repainted with semigloss and put the tank on wheels to be able to do behind the tank maintenance as needed.
The OG tank was plumbed THROUGH the wall into the garage. As I break that down, I am going to have some major repair work to do on both sides of the wall. That is the part that I am looking forward to the least.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of times I turned on the rodi system and forgot to turn it off, causing a couple of floods and now the wood flooring is warping. My wife blames me but I deny. We've already committed to a contractor to replace the flooring at the end of the year, with new wood flooring......

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A couple of times I turned on the rodi system and forgot to turn it off, causing a couple of floods and now the wood flooring is warping. My wife blames me but I deny. We've already committed to a contractor to replace the flooring at the end of the year, with new wood flooring......

Ummmm same.. lol

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ummmm same.. lol
RO/DI overflowing is the reason we replaced our hardwood floors with vinyl laminate. My wife nor any of our friends can tell the difference.

Best part, vinyl plank is waterproof!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/DI overflowing is the reason we replaced our hardwood floors with vinyl laminate. My wife nor any of our friends can tell the difference.

Best part, vinyl plank is waterproof!
oh that's great, thank you for sharing that. I will find a find to subtly convince the wife ;)

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had significant enough salt build up to worry that didn’t just wipe away.

My current tank, the back of the stand is enclosed except holes for wiring. And currently have glass tops for now. May put a piece of shower liner or similar behind the tank when I go with a open top, but may just let it happen as I don’t like the wall paper sooo…

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Yes, I will have to repaint but ironically the trouble isn't with my SW tank because it's been up for only a couple weeks. The problem came from splashing from my freshwater tanks. I had no idea hard freshwater could be so destructive. I think the stains have etched into the paint!!
2. I taped paper towel to the affected area but might do acrylic or cardboard (lime some have done).

I will have to keep an eye on my SW tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back