Doahh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it began.
Quick Specs of NEW Squashed Cube Tank:
Tank: 36x30x19 1/2" Acrylic tank External overflow with 2 1.5" drains.
Lighting: Coralvue 250 watt E-Ballast. Hope to get a lumenmax or Lumenarc sometime soon.
Skimmer: ASM G1X. Hope to upgrade soon.
Basic Filtration: Zeovit.
Controller: Profilux 2 with P3 upgrade on the way. Ranco to control chiller.
Return Pump: Eheim 1260
Flow: Single Vortech MP40w
Around 120 lbs of Live Rock.
Starting the Zeovit system soon.
Sump will soon be taken out and rebuilt to better fit a bigger skimmer and Zeovit system. Going to remove the fuge.
Continuous Water Change system should be implemented soon. I already have a drain line going to the outside world. I just need my Dosing unit.

This was my old 90 before all of the hair algae and such took over. I think I did... 1 water change in the year this tank was up. This was the tank at 1 year old, about a year and a half ago.
fts.jpg

The sump cracked and started to leak. :mad2:
I re-siliconed it and it held for a little while I tried to find a new sump. The stand was built as a FW tank so it had too many supports and the way the sump went in was through the back of the stand. After I put it in I screwed new supports over it and never thought about it. I figured if I have to tear the tank down to replace the sump I might as well get a new 90 that has no scratches. I built a new sump out of acrylic and it turned out pretty good.
S3010006.jpg

There it is being leak tested. It had only 2 small pinhole leaks. I designed it to fit as much water under the smaller footprint of the 90 gallon tank. the new stand was also built.
DSC_0132.jpg

And then came the dream tank. Built in overflow... Deep front to back dimensions... 90 gallons... It was a 36 wide by 30 deep front to back by 19 high. "Squashed" cube. Perfect dimensions for a single lumenarc or Lumenmax elite.
This is the offending tank.
DSC_0711_edited.jpg

I started to do some sketches in sketchup even before I got the tank. This was around August of 2008.
newtank3.jpg

newtank4.jpg

newtank5.jpg

This was the basic design. The plumbing changed. A lot. but the stand stayed exactly as it was designed. The stand is made out of 1 1/4" Thick Wall Steel square tube.
There was another design challenge. My doorway is only 28" wide. The tank at its minimum length is 30". No problem for the tank. Just turn it onto its side. The stand on the other hand... The stand came out to around 38" high. It had to be assembled in the room. Can't weld indoors lol.
DSC_0823_edited.jpg

To the left you can see one of the plates that are used to bolt the top to the bottom. The whole stand was constructed specifically for this tank.
DSC_0821_edited.jpg

That is before the gussets were installed. In the room the tank was being installed into the carpet was being ripped up and replaced with hardwood floors. The standard 90 stayed in the spot in the room with the carpet rolled up to it, and hardwood floors installed in half the room.
The big BRS order was commenced. All of my plumbing came from BRS.
DSC_0573.jpg

DSC_0576.jpg

DSC_0575.jpg

Everything came nicely packed. with tons of peanuts. As this tank build was going on I was collecting equipment for it. This was the beginning of January 2009. In the very back of this pic you can see the sump. In the front is the BRS order. Everything in between is involved with this tank.
DSC_0595.jpg

Right before the tank went into the room it was going into. Ignore the stuff on the walls haha. To the left of the camera is where the current 90 is. It is still running when this picture was taken.
DSC_0588.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Doahh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roughed out plumbing. You can see here how much it has changed since the Sketchup drawing. Oh and a chiller was added. 1/5 HP Aqualogic.
DSC_0763.jpg

DSC_0782.jpg

Water going in... RO/DI From across the hallway. Don't worry the chiller stand was eventually painted. About the second week of January.
DSC_0781.jpg

And suddenly the other tank is taken down and this tank has rock!
DSC_0806.jpg

Aquascape is still the same today as it is in this Picture. (Late January 2009)
DSC_0804.jpg

As it is right now I am waiting on two ballasts from Coralvue before I send my two dead ones back to them. I will take some new pics of the tank when I get my ballasts back.

Questions? Comments? Any comments are welcomed.

OP
OP
D

Doahh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was Brazed... I would have preferred mig welding it but the guy was certified and he did it for free. They were beautiful brazings. The gussets were mig welded with some form of shielding gas.

OP
OP
D

Doahh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same here but hey... I trusted the guy and you could park a truck on this thing XD.
I trust it holding the tank, with me standing on the stand, which is nice.

I

inactive

View Badges
same here but hey... I trusted the guy and you could park a truck on this thing XD.
I trust it holding the tank, with me standing on the stand, which is nice.

But...but.... he brazed mild steel? Why? It just makes no sense to me! It's like using duct tape instead of screws and wood glue.

OP
OP
D

Doahh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah and it's Day 3 of my Zeovit Basic Four dosing!
Oh now I remember why... the mig welder he had was undersized and he didn't have any shielding gas. when I had the gussets done I was at a different place closer to my house. I'll take incredibly strong brazes rather than crappy mig welding... But thats just me.

I

inactive

View Badges
Oh yeah and it's Day 3 of my Zeovit Basic Four dosing!
Oh now I remember why... the mig welder he had was undersized and he didn't have any shielding gas. when I had the gussets done I was at a different place closer to my house. I'll take incredibly strong brazes rather than crappy mig welding... But thats just me.

I am concerned for the well being of your stand, also the pride of that "welder" you speak of. Seems shady :)

Shielding gas is cheap, and the cheapest mig welder is more than enough for "1 1/4 steel IMO. I would trust "gasless" tac welds over brazing on something like this. There is no reason to braze two identical parent metals. As a welder dude should know that :)

OP
OP
D

Doahh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I'm just not that worried about it. It's held for almost a year and I've been up on it multiple times. Now if it wasn't steady as a rock and had some flex I would think different.

DML08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mig or even some flux core, NR 211 would put out some nice welds.. It's been up for year, But if it was me I would be freaking out..

OP
OP
D

Doahh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every corner but the front opening has a gusset that is mig welded. That may be why it is so strong. So I guess that there really is no unsupported braze joint. It is practically mig welded.

I

inactive

View Badges
I'm still scurred for your stand! It's making me lose sleep! All I see is failed impact and tensile testing.

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome 2 R2R, nice set up, I would not worry about the brazing, I have been welding for years, and if it is done right it will be there for now on, the only thing I would worry about is future corrosion from the salt. If its primed and painted, it will last for a long time. I have one that I built about 10 years ago, has a little bit of rust flaking on the bottom, still rock solid. I would choose it over any store bought stand. If you have the stand redone, go with a good grade stainless steel, will be there practically forever.

OP
OP
D

Doahh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand was primed with some form of metal etching primer and then painted with 4 coats of Rustoleoum. Off to the LFS!

OP
OP
D

Doahh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should I make my skimmer section?
It's pretty much the only thing that is going in my sump so I figure I might as well use 22" of the 44" I have available...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back