Doctor Tim's Waste Away contents?

malfist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Yall

I was wonder if anybody knew what exactly was in Dr Tim's waste away bacterial additive. I've been battling a dino problem for a little while now, and Dr. Tim claims that the waste away can help. I've been treating my aquarium with DinoX and UV, and after complete dose cycle (15 doses of dinoX) I've been adding waste away to see if it can prevent a comeback, hoping it can colonize the surfaces dinos would normally colonize.

However I've not had much luck with this approach. In fact, I got curious today and shook my bottle and then put a small amount of waste away under a microscope and found what looks to be dinos...in the bottle of waste away. I'm attaching photos.

If waste away does contain dinos that might explain the reoccuring problem I'm having with my dino population. However, I don't know what I'm doing and it's highly likely this is some cross contamination.

Does anyone know what's actually supposed to be in waste away? Should I just toss the remainder of my bottle?

2021-10-25 15.01.48.jpg 2021-10-25 15.01.58.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can email them and they should be able to tell you. They did this with eco balance when I asked.

But basically, it should be a bunch of heterotrophic bacteria. I am confident that the dino is just cross contamination with your slide or whatever you used to get the liquid.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

count on T to deliver very high quality product reviews.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS If it is a dino issue, consider raising phosphate (and nitrate if needed for this part), then dosing waste away.

OP
OP
malfist

malfist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS If it is a dino issue, consider raising phosphate (and nitrate if needed for this part), then dosing waste away.

Already done, I dose ESV's nitrate (calcium nitrate I believe) and dilution of sodium phosphate dibasic. Nitates run around 5-15ppm and phosphates ~.1-.14 per hanna checkers.

hbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently, Waste Away lowers pH a lot!!! I just removed two gel sticks from my sump as I was having trouble with pH with Calcium Reactot before I added this. I went from 8.03 to 7.95 YEOW!

Does anyone know if my removal can have bad side affects?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back