Documentary Film on Pufferfish-With Me as Host!

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this PM at my pufferforum:

Hello Pufferpunk.

My name is Terry Spring, a writer for JumpCut Productions Inc. We are a small, independent film company in Vancouver, Canada, that specializes in wildlife documentaries. I had developed an idea for a documentary on puffers about 3 years ago, but we were forced to shelve it at the time. I personally kept a Porcupine Puffer myself - and was totally enthralled with him until one day he unfortunately died while I was out of town.

In any case, because puffers are such interesting animals, we are now looking at reviving the project and seeking a program host as part of the story arc. We have been checking out a few people, but when I saw the picture of you (and Lulu) on your Harley - I thought YES! there was someone who was perhaps 'colorful' and yet 'intelligent' enough to host our one-hour program; someone with a very broad interest in puffers who could conceivably be interested in traveling the world on a journey of discovery about them. ( not all at once of course )

Our program would follow a basic survey approach, beginning with the host and their 'interest' in puffers, and then we would follow the host on a dive trip to somewhere like malaysia or bahamas where we would explore puffer natural history and get a general overview of the diversity of the species (both puffer & porcupinefish). There we would witness a capture event for the aquarium industry which would lead us to Quality Marine Distributors in Los Angeles, and an exploration of the Aquarium Trade and the popularity of the 'aquadog' as a pet, including interviews with various puffer owners.

That segment would be followed by a brief stint in Cambridge, England where we would check out how puffers helped map the human genome. We would then continue to Vancouver, Canada where a leading biotech company is utilizing puffer tetradotoxin to create a new pain therapy drug for people dying of cancer. (probably preceded by a lead-in on the zombie thing), which would also take us to Naning, China where pufferfish are commercially fished and WEX has their processing plant. Finally, our journey of discovery would end up in Kyushu, Japan where we would explore the Japanese obsession with fugu, how they are farmed, the training of sushi chefs, why people eat it, etc. Our program is entitled, FINDING FUGU. (after 'finding nemo')

Our epilogue would probably take place back in the Bahamas or Malaysia with some thoughts on the Pufferfish and why such an unusual and poisonous animal has attracted such attention from humans, and a perhaps a statement about their future relationship with people.

You seem to have the potential to host this program, and I feel your story would form a compelling framework for this movie. My question is - would you be interested in exploring this further? This could be a great opportunity for you to spread the Puffer gospel. You could also document your adventures in making the film on your website, through your forum. Our last two films aired in 52 countries.

If you are interested, could you provide my producer with your contact details ( such as a telephone number), so that he could chat with you about it? Of course we would like to see how you come across on film and would have to see a short 5 minute video of you in action; acting naturally on camera - perhaps telling us how you developed your interest in pufferfish and showing us your aquariums etc. (loved your story about how your mom used to put you in a laundry basket in front of your dad's tanks as a kid to keep you quiet. LOL) We do want to inject some humour into the movie, and it looks like you have a good sense of humor indeed.

I have already done MEGA research on Puffers and we are preparing this pitch for several big broadcasters including National Geo, Discovery, etc. with whom we are meeting at the Banff World Television Festival June 10 - 14. If you don't feel this is right for you, or don't want to set yourself up for possible rejection (if my producer thinks you're not right for the part), then - with all your contacts - perhaps you know of someone who might be good for this role that we could approach???

Looking forward to hearing from you with a contact number and time to call.

How exciting is that!!!!!!

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could very well be true, never know where life and choices are going to lead you. When the opportunity like this comes up one has to take it and run with it......Very happy for you to have this opportunity, what an unexpected dream come true.....:)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back