Does 5 hours a day of light really increase growth?

Stuartmercer

View Badges
Reaction score
In a previous thread I read, I member talked about how his zoas grew really fast from only 4 hours of light. In this thread I will confirm this information with my own testing. I will make a tank that has 2 compartments so that the water quality is the same. I will have 2 of the same lights, one running 10 hours a day and run 5 hours on and 7 hours off for the other. I will make sure no light from one side leaks over to the other when one light is off. I will keep updating this post and I will post pictures of the tank in a couple days when im done my Finals for school. If someone else would like to test, lets be in contact so we can have a more conlusive test. Not sure if this is the right thread and I will do zoas and one more coral. you guys choose.

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
In a previous thread I read, I member talked about how his zoas grew really fast from only 4 hours of light. In this thread I will confirm this information with my own testing. I will make a tank that has 2 compartments so that the water quality is the same. I will have 2 of the same lights, one running 10 hours a day and run 5 hours a day for the other. I will make sure no light from one side leaks over to the other when one light is off. I will keep updating this post and I will post pictures of the tank in a couple days when im done my Finals for school. If someone else would like to test. Lets be in contact so we can have a more conlusive test. Not sure if this is the right thread. I will do zoas and one more coral. you guys choose.
Glad to see you are doing this!

To be clear... in the previous thread the OP stated they grew faster from running his lights 4 hours on, 8 hours off so that they still got 8 hours of light per day just in 2 separate sessions. Can't wait to see what your results show!

Oh, and good luck on your finals!

OP
S

Stuartmercer

View Badges
Reaction score

To be clear... in the previous thread the OP stated they grew faster from running his lights 4 hours on, 8 hours off so that they still got 8 hours of light per day just in 2 separate sessions. Can't wait to see what your results show!

Thanks!

OP
S

Stuartmercer

View Badges
Reaction score
I will post pictures of the tank set up maybe in the next 3-5 days when i get everything I need!

Corals.com

sfin52

So many bugs so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
In a previous thread I read, I member talked about how his zoas grew really fast from only 4 hours of light. In this thread I will confirm this information with my own testing. I will make a tank that has 2 compartments so that the water quality is the same. I will have 2 of the same lights, one running 10 hours a day and run 5 hours on and 7 hours off for the other. I will make sure no light from one side leaks over to the other when one light is off. I will keep updating this post and I will post pictures of the tank in a couple days when im done my Finals for school. If someone else would like to test, lets be in contact so we can have a more conlusive test. Not sure if this is the right thread and I will do zoas and one more coral. you guys choose.
My suggestion is lps and sps be added. Im very interested.

ReeferB28

View Badges
Reaction score

Thanks for clarifying that .

ScottB

View Badges
Reaction score
@Stuartmercer I am following along as well. This is interesting. I spent an hour or so trying to configure a way to participate. I have two frag systems (one LPS, one SPS) that share a large sump but my flow and lighting are night and day from each other. (How's that for a pun?) Compound that with a very recent recovery from ostreopsis and just too many changes to manage on a short timeline. Wishing you well.

Get Fish & Corals directly for the suppliers

Will you watch revhtree on the LIVE #askBRStv show?

• Yes I'll tune in live at 1:30pm est!

Votes: 112 32.7%
  • No I'll have to catch the rerun!

Votes: 189 55.1%
  • Neither, I choose to make revhtree sad...

Votes: 42 12.2%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Reef Kinetics
Ultimate Corals