Does 5 hours a day of light really increase growth?

OP
OP
Stuartmercer

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Stuartmercer I am following along as well. This is interesting. I spent an hour or so trying to configure a way to participate. I have two frag systems (one LPS, one SPS) that share a large sump but my flow and lighting are night and day from each other. (How's that for a pun?) Compound that with a very recent recovery from ostreopsis and just too many changes to manage on a short timeline. Wishing you well.
Thanks for participating!

OP
OP
Stuartmercer

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Stuartmercer I am following along as well. This is interesting. I spent an hour or so trying to configure a way to participate. I have two frag systems (one LPS, one SPS) that share a large sump but my flow and lighting are night and day from each other. (How's that for a pun?) Compound that with a very recent recovery from ostreopsis and just too many changes to manage on a short timeline. Wishing you well.
Thanks for participating! Lucky I haven't had time deal with dinoflagellates

OP
OP
Stuartmercer

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I need somehelp with what zoa/pally I should use for my test. Im using birdnest as my sps and candycane as my lps.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the duration of the dark period is important. This could help with the explanation. But results first, then an attempt at an explanation. :)

ReeferB28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just remember, that on the original Thread that I started , I mentioned that I saw a results with metal halide, T-5 and gen 3&4 radion lights. Plus, I fed fauna Marin. I never said that only the photo period of , "4 on 8 off" was the sole reason they grew together. In the book that was mentioned, " Practical coral farming " it states several tactics, that when used together, provide amazing results.

OP
OP
Stuartmercer

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, when I get home from shool, the light barricade is going up and im going to fill the experiment tank with saltwater from my main display so I can start the experiment as soon as possible. I still need ideas for how im going to set up my light though. And maybe this weekend I am going to my lfs to ask if they can frag 2 single heads of zoa for the 4 hour side and the 10 hour side.

OP
OP
Stuartmercer

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember, that on the original Thread that I started , I mentioned that I saw a results with metal halide, T-5 and gen 3&4 radion lights. Plus, I fed fauna Marin. I never said that only the photo period of , "4 on 8 off" was the sole reason they grew together. In the book that was mentioned, " Practical coral farming " it states several tactics, that when used together, provide amazing results.
okay I will feed reef roids becuase thats what I have. I dont want to spend too much money on this if I can avoid it. I have an extra LED and T5 fixture. Im thinking T5 though if thats what was used.

ReeferB28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Remember it's not just 4 , it's two 4 peak intensity light periods, separated by 8 hours of darkness. It Seems a number of people were confused by that. Also, I'm sure there will be different results by different variations of this light schedule. There are no exacts in nature. I'm excited you're doing this btw. Any advice needed, let me know.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back