Does 5 hours a day of light really increase growth?

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet they have great flow!
Actually not much flow. Coincidentally, I took the Marsh-McBirney electronic digital flow meter this afternoon. The highest velocity we saw was about 4 inches per second and often much less. Compare this to a 6" per second oscillating flow I saw on a Hawaiian coral reef on a calm day. But corals are growing quite well at the LFS - the Cyphastrea I got had encrusted the frag rack and had to be pried off.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And another...
forestfire.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually not much flow. Coincidentally, I took the Marsh-McBirney electronic digital flow meter this afternoon. The highest velocity we saw was about 4 inches per second and often much less. Compare this to a 6" per second oscillating flow I saw on a Hawaiian coral reef on a calm day. But corals are growing quite well at the LFS - the Cyphastrea I got had encrusted the frag rack and had to be pried off.
Wow!

So Dana Riddle says that lighting and flow aren't important in a reef tank... ;Troll:p

Any idea how they have such good success? Is it just well adapted coral and stable conditions?

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than likely your algae is under control due to low light.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!

So Dana Riddle says that lighting and flow aren't important in a reef tank... ;Troll:p

Any idea how they have such good success? Is it just well adapted coral and stable conditions?
Did I say that? LOL. I think it probably depends upon the tolerance of low (or high) light of the zooxanthlla clade. As for flow, corals have a preference and studies have shown that some like high flow while others like low flow. The LFS that is most convenient to me and therefore the one I visit most often sells mostly corals that fluorescence when exposed to violet/blue light. Those corals containing non-florescent chromoproteins are a rarity in that shop, although I did get a Strawberry Shortcake Acropora there that I am trying to get to color up.

kdino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AS A SIDE NOTE, IVE BEEN RUNNING A SPLIT SCHEDULE OF 6 HOURS FULL SPECTRUM(ALL ON 100% ON MY HYDRA 52 HDS), 6 HOURS OFF, THEN 6 HOURS ON ALL BLUE (UC, VIOLET, RB, BLUE) THEN 6 HOURS DARKNESS. LATHER, RINSE, REPEAT. SO FAR THE CORALS ARE GROWING VERY QUICKLY IN MY 2 WEEKS SINCE BEGINING. PE IS GREAT (WHICH IT NEVER WAS BEFORE) AND COLORATION IS VERY NICE.

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This topic is very interesting...I wish a coral farmer or seller would comment on how they do it as they grow coral very quickly to keep the sale going...

s_tempest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I ran a split schedule for three years on my 14g nano tank. As this was my 1st SW tank I have no comparison to gauge my success compared to other tanks I had - my motive was simply to see my tank with the lights on more often. So I ran the light (AI Prime, heavy on the blues) from 6-10AM so I could get an hour of viewing before heading to work, and then from 5-10PM to get a few hours of viewing in the evening, with lights off in between.
I kept a wide array of soft corals and LPS, even a monti cap. My gut sense is that the coral grew, but maybe more slowly than I expected compared with what I read other have achieved with similar corals on similar time frames. The struggle (as with nano-tanks in general) was to keep water chemistry consistent so I'm sure that played a big role. I took that tank down early this summer and moved everything in it to a new, much larger tank.
Here's a photo to give a sense of how that tank looked:
IMG_0637.jpg

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to go re-read the 7 pages. Honestly, I don't see any advantages to a split lighting schedule. I've seen some YouTube videos that make some claims, but these are based on misunderstanding of zoox photobiology. A for reducing peak intensity, do you have a PAR meter (or any light measuring device?). Also, reducing light will be less stressful than increasing it as long as the minimum requirement is met/

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 6-6-6-6

6am to noon on
Noon to 6pm off
6pm to midnight on
Midnight ro 6am off

My zoas/palys has never look better, fleshier, growing.

I feel any light cycle past 4-6 hrs you're only growing ALGAE at that point

Lots of naysayers who havent even tried it......

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 6-6-6-6

6am to noon on
Noon to 6pm off
6pm to midnight on
Midnight ro 6am off

This is very interesting. My job has me out of the house 11 hours a day. I'm basically gone for the whole photo period and switching to this schedule makes alot of sense to me, I could enjoy the tank the few hours I'm home. I'll Def be following this thread for more info.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 6-6-6-6

6am to noon on
Noon to 6pm off
6pm to midnight on
Midnight ro 6am off

Can you provide any PAR values? Glad to hear of your success!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide any PAR values? Glad to hear of your success!
Dont own a PAR meter but I do have DIY retro lights that are exclusively 390nm to 490nm blue spectrum. I don't mess around with white light bc I don't care (nor want) the greens, yellows and reds in a white light.

6ft tank with three 300w lights covering each 2ft section.

Running lights at 50% power Definitely a deep penetrating blue.

All 300w per fixture dedicated to a mixture of 420nm and 460nm diodes with just a hint of 490nm.

I would say total mixture is:
* 60% 460s,
* 30% 420s,
* 5% 390s,
* 5% 490s

Last edited:

Lingwendil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 watt LEDs? 3 watt LEDs? What drive current? Constant intensity, or PWM dimmer with a sunlight type curve? Black boxes with cheap EpiLEDs, or something with LumiLEDs/Cree emitters? How high from the water are the actual emitters? Lenses, or bare?

We need more information. I find the idea intriguing but want to be methodical about it- this means more meaningfull data.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back