Does 5 hours a day of light really increase growth?

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a previous thread I read, I member talked about how his zoas grew really fast from only 4 hours of light. In this thread I will confirm this information with my own testing. I will make a tank that has 2 compartments so that the water quality is the same. I will have 2 of the same lights, one running 10 hours a day and run 5 hours on and 7 hours off for the other. I will make sure no light from one side leaks over to the other when one light is off. I will keep updating this post and I will post pictures of the tank in a couple days when im done my Finals for school. If someone else would like to test, lets be in contact so we can have a more conlusive test. Not sure if this is the right thread and I will do zoas and one more coral. you guys choose.

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a previous thread I read, I member talked about how his zoas grew really fast from only 4 hours of light. In this thread I will confirm this information with my own testing. I will make a tank that has 2 compartments so that the water quality is the same. I will have 2 of the same lights, one running 10 hours a day and run 5 hours a day for the other. I will make sure no light from one side leaks over to the other when one light is off. I will keep updating this post and I will post pictures of the tank in a couple days when im done my Finals for school. If someone else would like to test. Lets be in contact so we can have a more conlusive test. Not sure if this is the right thread. I will do zoas and one more coral. you guys choose.
Glad to see you are doing this!

To be clear... in the previous thread the OP stated they grew faster from running his lights 4 hours on, 8 hours off so that they still got 8 hours of light per day just in 2 separate sessions. Can't wait to see what your results show!

Oh, and good luck on your finals!

OP
OP
Stuartmercer

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To be clear... in the previous thread the OP stated they grew faster from running his lights 4 hours on, 8 hours off so that they still got 8 hours of light per day just in 2 separate sessions. Can't wait to see what your results show!

Thanks!

OP
OP
Stuartmercer

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will post pictures of the tank set up maybe in the next 3-5 days when i get everything I need!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a previous thread I read, I member talked about how his zoas grew really fast from only 4 hours of light. In this thread I will confirm this information with my own testing. I will make a tank that has 2 compartments so that the water quality is the same. I will have 2 of the same lights, one running 10 hours a day and run 5 hours on and 7 hours off for the other. I will make sure no light from one side leaks over to the other when one light is off. I will keep updating this post and I will post pictures of the tank in a couple days when im done my Finals for school. If someone else would like to test, lets be in contact so we can have a more conlusive test. Not sure if this is the right thread and I will do zoas and one more coral. you guys choose.
My suggestion is lps and sps be added. Im very interested.

ReeferB28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Thanks for clarifying that .

OP
OP
Stuartmercer

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I had some time so here is what I have done so far. I will set up lighting and the barricade later. The container is a shallow planter.
20190604_173230.jpg
20190604_172331.jpg
20190604_172928.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Stuartmercer I am following along as well. This is interesting. I spent an hour or so trying to configure a way to participate. I have two frag systems (one LPS, one SPS) that share a large sump but my flow and lighting are night and day from each other. (How's that for a pun?) Compound that with a very recent recovery from ostreopsis and just too many changes to manage on a short timeline. Wishing you well.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back